Drum Replacer question

Author
Sam4246
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 148
2018/11/28 02:21:59 (permalink)

Drum Replacer question

HP Envy Windows 10 up to date as of today - Intel Core i7-5500 CPU@ 2.40 Ghz, 16 GB ram, 64-bit operating system.

Hopefully I am posting this in the correct forum. Addictive Drums 2 - apparently there is no easy way to get the sounds from AD2 into Drum Replacer.
What about doing the following -
Record one hit from, say the AD2 kick drum, export the one hit to audio (to a wav file), then pull up that wav file of the one hit on the kick drum in Drum Replacer.
Do the same to each of the toms, one hit/one wav file for each.
Would this work in Drum Replacer?
My intent is to use the wav files and blend the sounds with the corresponding recording of actual drums if needed.
Or would this way not work to get the “samples” of the AD2 drum sounds?
I have a couple of preset kits I made in AD2 and they sound pretty decent.

Thanks!

Al

6 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Drum Replacer question 2018/11/28 02:52:45 (permalink)
    Take a look at the tool written by Bill Jackson called CwDrSfzMaker available from the SONAR Resources and Utilities page to create sfz files from 3rd party drum synths.
    greg_moreira
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re: Drum Replacer question 2018/11/28 04:34:46 (permalink)
    Any particular reason you’re trying to do it this way? Or I should say....did you know you can get the midi from drum replacer and then use it in whatever drum sampler you like?

I do this all the time. Record a real kit, then run through drum replacer to create the midi off of the recorded drums

Then just dump the midi into its own track and output it to addictive drums.

It’s better doing it this way also because it sounds much more real when you blend the samples. Drum replacer is pretty smart and it increases or decreases the velocity of the midi note based on the strength of the transient(mimics how hard you hit the drum in real life )

Doing it your way you only have one version of the kick sound you like. The “tone” of the sample will never vary and it will never mimic hitting the drum with varying levels of intensity

If you export the midi from drum replacer and then use it to trigger addictive drums....it will trigger multiple samples of the same kick depending on the velocity of the midi note.

It just sounds more real if that matters to you
    Sam4246
    Re: Drum Replacer question 2018/11/28 19:55:30 (permalink)
    That sounds so much easier! I took one of the Over Head audio tracks of live drums and did the click and drag to a Midi track but half of the midi notes did not match to AD2. I never thought to open Drum Replacer first.
    My intent is really for the kick drum. My interface has 8 inputs (all inputs are used up, kick, snare, tom 1,2,3, hihat, OH left and right) I can record simultaneously and I only have one mic for the kick drum. I would like to have two kick sounds - one more beater and one more on the kick’s port to blend them together.
    My plan is to set the mic up on the kick drum port and then use MIDI with AD2 to get the beater sound.
    So, I could use Drum Replacer to get the kick drum track to Midi, then open AD2 and trigger the kick sound, right?
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Drum Replacer question 2018/11/28 20:01:00 (permalink)
    Yes, but you may also need to set the drum map inside AD2 to GM (general MIDI), which is in the menus under the ? in the AD2 GUI, then "Map Preset" in the upper left corner. AD2 uses its own drum map otherwise which will not mate properly.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Sam4246
    Re: Drum Replacer question 2018/11/29 02:22:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips! Setting AD2 to GM - it worked perfectly!
    greg_moreira
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re: Drum Replacer question 2018/11/29 03:37:56 (permalink)
    Just another FYI. Glad you got it working by the way. Beyond that...as far as mapping goes....even if it doesn’t line up right because you didn’t get all the mapping sorted out... it’s easy to drag all the midi.

Open up the piano roll, click the piano “key” that lines up with your kick midi notes. At that point all the midi notes in that row will be highlighted. Click and hold on the first note and drag it up. It will pull the whole row. Just drag the midi up and down the piano roll until you land where you want to be

You “might” need to hold shift while dragging
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1