I need a high contrast theme...

Author
kmcintyre
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
2018/11/29 03:56:43 (permalink)

I need a high contrast theme...

Hello

I am legally blind and am hoping that someone can help me out.

I have used sonar and cakewalk for years.  My eyesight is getting to the point where I can only see things on my computer in reverse video, white lettering on black background.  Windows calls this High Contrast Mode.  Apple calls it Smart Invert.  Shades of gray and pastel colors do not work for me.

I need a theme for Sonar that makes everything  white lettering on black background.  Alternately, I could use a version that makes everything black lettering on white background (since I can easily invert my screen).

What doesn't work is a black  theme where the menu bars and right click menues and preference dialogs, etc. have white backgrounds.  The entire app needs to be consistently black on white or white on black.

Has anyone created such a theme?  Would anyone be willing to do so. or  explain how I can do it with the theme editor?

I am not adverse to paying USD for a suitable theme.

Thanks for your consideration.

Keith

4 Replies Related Threads

Daibhidh
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 204
    Re: I need a high contrast theme... 2018/11/29 12:10:44 (permalink)
    Have you considered lazer eye treatment?
    It's more reliable now and the price has come down..
    kmcintyre
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    Re: I need a high contrast theme... 2018/11/29 14:13:11 (permalink)
    I have Retinitis Pigmentosa.  The rod and cone cells are dead.  I do the best I can with the limited vision I have left.

But thanks for the thought...

A high contrast theme would really help!

Keith

msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: I need a high contrast theme... 2018/11/29 19:04:54 (permalink)
    The highest contrast theme I've seen so far, is the one by Canopus.

Here's the thread that has some examples, with download links:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/A-Shiny-New-Theme-Gran-Vista-Black-amp-Blue-Updated-m3786567-p2.aspx

The one with 0% opacity is probably the easiest to read.

Mark McLeod
    Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
    Canopus
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 261
    Re: I need a high contrast theme... 2018/11/29 21:52:33 (permalink)
    I seriously doubt that any of the themes I’ve previously created will be of much use. Most likely a more radical approach would be needed if the GUI will work for someone who is virtually blind. I would assume that it’s not only a matter of background and text colours but the tweaking of many graphical elements such as buttons, knobs and meters in order to increase the contrast.

But perhaps more importantly, the OP says it’s crucial that colours used in all types of menus and dialogues are consistently black or white, but some of those things can’t be changed through the SONAR/CbB theme editor. I tested to change my system to one of the high-contrast themes available in Windows 7. As far as I could see most menus and dialogues in CbB did in fact adjust to those settings, but some noticeable exceptions were the left hand navigation pane in the Preferences dialogue, the Start Screen, the Add Track dialogue and the Audio & MIDI Setup dialogue. So if misbehaved dialogues such as those are show-stoppers, it wouldn’t make much difference having an otherwise high-contrast theme in SONAR/CbB.  But I guess only the OP can tell.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1