Helpful ReplyMy experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was...

Author
ClarkPlaysGuitar
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 53
2018/11/29 17:48:36 (permalink)

My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was...

I have been slowly trying to finish a big project that I started in SPLAT (Sonar PLATinum, for you those who still might not know), and when news of the shutdown came I was devastated, 'cuz I love SPLAT. Then what I thought was good news came when Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB) was announced. But I held off on downloading CbB because in my experience this is a good way to lose a ton of time in the middle of a project. I've never had good luck with upgrades going smoothly. For reasons I'll get into in a minute, I decided to download CbB & see how it went, Well, my experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was...

Excellent!!! Now I'm wondering why the hell I waited so long! Nice job Meng, & Bakers! I had an issue a while back with VST scans in SPLAT taking way longer than it did one day earlier, and there is a thread about that here somewhere (which I should update - I'll get to it in a day or ten), but I just lived with it when I couldn't find a solution. Then I added some new plugins & the problem got worse but not not unbearable. I thought when I'm done with this album I might jump in & try CbB.

Then I started getting this weird issue where about 1 in 5 playbacks would not actually play back, but instead generate an awful buzzing sound. Again, I just tried to tough it out. But after a couple days of dealing with that, it got to me so I wasted a bunch of time troubleshooting. Then I thought "Oh what the hell. Try CbB. It can't eat up any more time than the current problems."

I downloaded & installed it, which went very smoothly, and opened one of the tunes for this project. VST scan was super-fast, the look is nearly identical to SPLAT, all my plugins load quickly & smoothly, no weird buzzing glitches during playback, and it loads projects much faster (for me, anyway) than SPLAT ever did. Wow. I'm thrilled with it.

If you have been hesitating on making the move, I would say just jump in. Worst case scenario, you go back to SPLAT if you don't like it. Chances are you'll find CbB to be a faster, more stable SPLAT, though. Seriously, Meng, Noel, & crew - nice, nice job.

Clark
SONAR Platinum, Win10 x64, i5 quad-core, 16GB RAM,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i20g2, other stuff too boring to list (cheap tube pre, mid-range mics, etc)
mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/11/29 18:17:50 (permalink)
1+

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
Marshall
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/11/29 19:05:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2018/12/04 15:51:28
We’re a year in now. I remember what I was doing when I was told Sonar was going belly up, and I guess many of us do. Time stood stilll for a moment...10 year love affair in my case, and I didn’t know where to look!

Well, I went to Studio One and I am very happy, but I swore I’d never be a one DAW person again - let’s face it, being bilingual must be a good thing. So, shame on me I’ve never downloaded Cakewalk by Bandlab. I will address it this weekend. Your post was very timely, thank you.
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/11/29 20:46:17 (permalink)
There was never anything to loose in trying CbB from the beginning. We all keep our older versions installed so no problem trying the new version and if it didn't work for you just go back.

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Studioguy1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 244
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/11/29 21:01:33 (permalink)
Been solid for me from the day I downloaded it, and yes I had the lifetime Sonar Platinum deal, like many others.  All former projects loaded smoothly in the BandLab version and all the vsts etc that I used consistently continued to be there. 
So, I am more than pleased.                                                                                                                                                                        If things go crazy for a moment, it is usually user error and once I double check, I am golden.  When I have had questions Noel and the bunch have been there to straighten me out.  This forum is a daily visit for me and I have learned much by simply reading.  Can't ask for anything more than that.  I have literally tried every daw out there and I always settle back on my original daw of choice. BandLab's assumption of Cakewalk has been a major plus for me.  I always scratch my head when I read one of these guys say they are not sure whether they should try it or whatever.  Are you kidding me?  Exactly what does anyone lose by doing so?  It leaves all your Sonar stuff intact and accesses your former vsts etc and you can easily switch back, if you feel the need, but I don't believe you will.  I didn't, that is for sure.

Current happy user of Cakewalk by BandLab;
Former Sonar Platinum lifetime plan;
Okie Duke, The Duke Of The Lehigh Valley
Sound Syndicate Studios-Recording and Production
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 8 Gb ram
Windows 7 Premium (x64) Service Pack 1
 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2670QM
Hitachi [Hard drive] (750.16 GB)
- 2 Tb external Drive - U-Phoria UMC204HD usb - Triton Keyboard - and much more.
Blue Clown Records Ltd
Blue Clown Publishing BMI
Okie Duke Promotions Ltd
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/11/29 21:19:31 (permalink)
I think it was smart to not rush into anything until you could be reasonably sure it would be at least not a full blown disaster. I did jump right in mainly because I had nothing to loose by doing so. I did download all my files from Cakewalk just in case. Then my main computer went south. I have been using a laptop for a while. Just recently I finally rebuilt my main system with a new motherboard and a brand new processor with more memory. In some ways I have been lucky in that nothing of real importance was lost. We have also been lucky that Noel is still working on the program. I'm very glad you and so many others have had a pleasant experience with the new Cakewalk.

I will add I hedged but bets a bit by buying Cubase 9.5 only because I could not be completely sure there would be a Cakewalk. I had used Cubase a long time ago with SX 1, 2 and 3. I didn't upgrade to Cubase 4 because I saw no reason to. I still had the dongle and understood it so the transition was not so hard. I will say all the reasons I was so content with Sonar are sill in effect. Cubase is a great DAW but it just now went fully 64 bit in its audio engine. Other areas are not as easy to do or simply are implemented in a poor way. For the sorts of things I do Cakewalk is the best DAW for me. Having Bandlab keeping it alive is a huge bonus and that it is free is truly wonderful. 

Overall Cakewalk is a very stable DAW that has matured. There are a lot of "cool" features in Cubase yet most of those are of little use for me. The things that are kind of bread and butter in Cakewalk just make any other DAW a study in frustration. So many things can't be done in Cubase where in Cakewalk they are simple. 

The bottom line is nothing has changed Cakewalk still is years ahead of the competition. 

However I do see a use for Cubase and will most likely upgrade to Cubase 10. I am not in any hurry.   

Happy Cakewalking!        

Best
John
Euthymia
  • Total Posts : 223
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/11/29 22:58:20 (permalink)
I've only been with the program since a couple of days after the freeware issue was announced; I'm able to post here because I registered a free download of the CA/2A compressor plug-in a few years ago.

I installed CbB v.1 and was kinda....well, this needs a bit of work. The playhead on that first build used to kind of get lost, like I'd move the program around on the screen and the program would move but the Now Time indicator would stay put hanging off in space. And it locked up and crashed under no real stress a couple of times.

I'd been used to Mixcraft, which has a smaller feature set but tolerates no bugs, like, seriously, Acoustica run a very tight ship over there. I wasn't expecting that level of stability out of a relative behemoth like ex-SONAR, but I thought it was a little rough for something that used to cost that much.

30 days later, an update drops and BANG! I get a UI faster than I do with Mixcraft, my projects are loading faster than similar ones do in Mixcraft, and the playhead isn't getting lost anymore. Also, not crashing so much. Dang, I'd say reports of this product's demise were premature in the extreme.

30 more days later and these guys have new features in it, it's going like a bat out of hell, I can leave it running for days without having it crash, and it's clear that BandLab are a Force For Good. We're just gonna kick back from here on in and watch these guys polish up this code and work their magic and imagine what role this DAW is going to play in their grand scheme.

It's a dream come true, it is! Just when I was ready to "graduate" to a more full-featured DAW, along comes this grand experiment of licensing this venerable and great-sounding one for free, AND they have a tight development process that's going through and cleaning up the code and adding useful please-the-user-base meat and potatoes features.

For all us new users who don't get all the great other software that came with the Platinum suite, there are plenty of freeware substitutes. They won't be left out in the cold.

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/11/30 05:41:51 (permalink)
So many that are reluctant to dive in don't realize that when you install CbB, it has no effect on Splat. So if for some reason you run into a problem or some confusion, just close CbB and open Splat and resume where you left off. There no risk whatsoever.

I immediately found CbB the most stable version in my history of using Cakewalk products back to 1992 and the DOS days. As soon as it was available I dove in immediately and love the stability. We're in great hands with Noel, Jesse, Meng, et al

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
Bobby G
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/11/30 20:45:25 (permalink)
Hey Guys,
I'm sure glad I stumbled upon this post.  I'm putting together a new Windows build with Thunderbolt capability.  I too am struggling with what DAW to load.  Sonar X3 Producer Expanded or BandLab's Cakewalk.  It looks like maybe all of the above.  Thanks everyone for valuable replies.

Bobby G  www.whiteheadrecording.com Sonar X3 Producer 64-bit. Intel Core i7 CPU 3.4 GHz, 20 GB RAM Win 10 64-bit Apollo Duo Silver with UAD PCIe Octo card Behringer Pro-8 Digital interface FireWire 800 and other stuff no one cares about.
bluebeat1313
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/11/30 20:48:34 (permalink)
Meng and Crew have brought me back from "choosing a  DAW depression". 
There is only one single item that bothers me, which is when tracking using "takes lanes" newly recorded conent will record onto previously muted take lanes. Noel confirmed, it is an issue and Band tech team said they will address it.  I am very hopeful they will.

Other than that, I do not know what else I could wish for in DAW... Since BandLab took over I had only a dozen crashes, all caused by me doing things that I should not have done. Program is very stable, even with huge number of tracks in a project. Only one wish...actually two  Meng be happy and stay  healthy!

Thank you!

Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/12/01 11:15:39 (permalink)
Last time I opened SPLAT was completely by accident, a simple unthinking Dogmatic response to a familiar Icon before finishing my first cup of coffee.
 I didn't even realize it was SPLAT until I open a project and the splash screen informing me that the project was created in a new version and might not sound the same...

Not only did my upgrade experience go smoothly, it was MUCH FASTER upgrading through Bandlab Assistant than it ever was using CCC.

Not only is Bandlab improved upon and keeps SPLAT up to date, I have never once had any problems where I had to go back and use SPLAT for anything, and that's a first for me.
 BEST UPGRADE EVER and I've been using Cakewalk for MIDI sequencing since Pro Audio dayz, #1 undefeated champ go to Audio/MIDI DAW since SONAR Producer 4.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

fitzj
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1487
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/12/01 15:36:04 (permalink)
I guess its the feeling of getting something for nothing that scars people. It seems to be a inherit instinct in us all that if it's for free then it's no good.
Great software thanks Bandlab.
Afrodrum
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/12/01 23:32:07 (permalink)
Because of this thread I finally dedicated an hour to upgrade to CbB. Less than 10 minutes later everything is running smoothly. Glad I have done it, there was nothing to worry about.

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

ClarkPlaysGuitar
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 53
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/12/02 18:04:08 (permalink)
I'm glad to see that this thread has helped a few more folks make the jump. For me part of the hesitation was fear that parallel installations of CbB & Splat would somehow find a way to wreck it all, even though I saw bunches of posts saying it wouldn't be a problem. I'm the kind of guy who has the "one-in-ten-thousand" sort of things happen, all the time, lol. So I procrastinated. But deep down I knew I would make the jump at some point, I just wish I had done it a few months earlier.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their good stories about CbB, too; it is good to know that we once again have the best DAW out there, imho. Keeep rocking & recording everyone!

Clark
SONAR Platinum, Win10 x64, i5 quad-core, 16GB RAM,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i20g2, other stuff too boring to list (cheap tube pre, mid-range mics, etc)
embersofautumn
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/12/02 21:45:01 (permalink)
Like others I used and loved Splat but the jump to CbB has been a tremendously positive experience.  I'm so used to it now that I wonder why I waited.

Thanks to Meng and the Bakers.
Fabio Rubato
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 500
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/12/04 00:18:11 (permalink)
I just wish I didn't go out and bought another DAW. I purchased Samplitude ProX3, which is pretty stable but honestly, I just don't the time - or motivation - to really get into it...I just know SPLAT and now Cakewalk so well, I don't have to think about the mechanics...whereas with Samplitude, I'll spend 10min trying to find something that I know instantly in CW. I spent a lot of time, tutorials, money learning over the years, so it's great that I'm not going to lose all that. 

Good job Meng and Bakers...so happy that the amazing Sonar has been continued albeit in another name. +1

Sonar: Platinum, (X3e) - x64 
PC: Win10 Pro 64;
Computer: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3; Intel i7, 2600k @ 4.2 (8 Cores); 16 GB Corsair Ram;
Visual Card: Gigabyte GTX 580;
Audio Interface: RME UFX;
Monitors: Adam A77X, Sub8;
Midi Controllers: Komplete Kontrol S88,  Novation Bass Station 2; NI Maschine Mk 2; 
Other Hardware: Joe Meek Twin Q Dual Studio Channel;
Mics: RODE NT2-A, ASTON Spirit 

Latest Song: Lay Down Before the War

Euthymia
  • Total Posts : 223
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/12/04 01:59:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby arlen2133 2018/12/04 22:39:21
fitzj
I guess its the feeling of getting something for nothing that scars people. It seems to be a inherit instinct in us all that if it's for free then it's no good.

Ooh, Freudian typo. ;-)

Any time someone brings up this "instinct," I remind people of all the excellent freeware we use every day without a second thought, such as the browser you're using to read this, Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge, Safari, whatever.

I use so many freeware plug-ins, both FX (the Meldaproduction Free Bundle and the Cockos Reaplugs are excellent) and instruments, that it gave me no pause at all.

There's a very important advantage that the freeware licensing model has which is that when financial survival of the program isn't dependent on selling new licenses, there's less pressure on the development team to come up with "big" features every 6 months.

That leaves them more freedom to squash bugs and implement less flashy features that might not "sell" as well, but make for the kind of happy UX that we're all gushing about in this thread.

Right? The veteran users are not much saying "wow, I really love the new XXXX," but they're bowled over by the best SONAR that never was.

There's no Chord Track, but it doesn't crash with no warning any more and you can rename clips with a right click, change track colors easily, there's a new slick time and pitch stretch engine, there's a note duration picker in the Piano Roll, and whenever someone finds a bug, it's gone!

And usually, that's what a long-term faithful user base loves. They get tired of seeing the same bug(s) persist while big new features arrive that they may not even have a use for yet.

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/12/04 02:14:13 (permalink)
Hmmm! I have to wonder if I am the only guy using Splat exclusively? As I've mentioned before I do have CWbyBL installed and I keep it up to date. 
But until I have issues or until their is something I cannot do in Splat that can be done in BL I have no reason to, I stay with it. The things in CWbyBL that Splat cannot do are not things I need-atm anyway!

But, yes, I was and am very happy that it all took place and continues.................

losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/12/04 06:30:16 (permalink)

...seamless.

Better in fact, an actual improvement in speed and stability (knocking on wood). With CbB I finished up existing projects that were started in SPLAT and started many new ones, and never missed a lick. Crashes that were frequent in SPLAT went practically nonexistent in CbB. Kudos and Losguy Hat-Tips to Noel, Meng and the gang!

Like Fabio above, I did happen to go out and -gasp- get another DAW (StudioOne 3 for me then - now SO 4) and I do now realize that it was *not* necessary. In my defense, that was during the darkest time just before the dawn of CbB and I simply succumbed to the pressure - oh me of little faith! That said, like Marshall above I am also realizing that it can be valuable to be conversant in more than one DAW. You do pick up more new techniques through an alternate thought process, sort of like you do with audio editors (Audition / Samplitude / etc). In my case, I'm planning to configure a live setup with SO4 to get some practical use out of that platform.

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/12/04 12:01:55 (permalink)
I went from X3 Studio to CbB so my experience was more of a plus, having access to new tools and utilities that I never had before.  In fact, I still haven't gotten around to trying everything CbB (formerly SPLAT) has to offer over X3S.
I can see where your (OP's) experience was probably more of a non event, but had I not been in between projects I would've waited to finish the project I was working on before transitioning, just to play it safe.  I know there really isn't a valid reason to feel that way, other than paranoia, but that's way I am.

Anyway, glad it's working for you.  Glad it's working for all of us.

John B.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/12/04 12:17:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby John 2018/12/05 23:55:57
 I couldn't agree with Losguy more.. When Gibson threw SONAR under the buss by checking out and canceling future support last year, I knew it was only a matter of time before it going to eventually die with continued OS updating and innovations.
 I of course fully intended to keep using SONAR until the last computer I had that would support it died of old age,
Studio ONE was my first logical choice to migrate towards based on hands on experience collaborating with SO users I've personally experienced.
 I've experienced quite a few different DAWs thru collaborations, and SO was always the most stable, it was also the only DAW that was so innovative where I thought; "Dammy, I wish the Bakers of SONAR though of that!"
 All the things that could be done like rearranging song composition by selecting and moving verses, bridges, chorus sections around are time consuming, and  a tad complicated with slicing and dicing with SONAR, where a simple task with SO's tab editing feature made it as simple as clicking and dragging on the tab with a mouse is a thing of envy for a diehard Cake Head like me.
 And the new Studio One 4 with the new Presonus QUANTUM interfaces gets second place for my 2018 "Cup of Drool Award".

Second only to Bandlab and Meng's insight and generosity for pulling Cakewalk out from under the buss of doom, IMPROVE it and continuing support, alone with services provided by Bandlab.com makes CbB the clear and distant first place winner here. 
 DO NOT overlook how Bandlab.com makes it so ultimately fast and easy to share projects and collaborate with others, no matter what kind or DAW, plugins, or lack there of they are using.

Look at Bandlab.com as the closest thing to a perfect cross platform experience for collaboration without having to go through the learning curve pains of learning how to make Reason projects work with CbB, or easily integrate and merge Ableton Live projects with Pro Tools combined with select audio mixed with MIDI loops, easily into any DAW you are intimately familiar with..
 All of this is simple child's play with Bandlab's "Mix Editor", and Publishing is so easy a monkey could do it..

Don't let the blind eyes of skepticism lead you down the narrow path fear and indecision.
 That's a direct path to becoming your own worse enemy.
 Very destructive, very silly path, considering Cakewalk and Bandlab are FREE!
 Not free to try before you buy, they are totally FREE to use with no strings attached, ungoverned artistic license, untethered to record contracts, no restrictions, no one telling you what you can or can't do, just absolute FREEDOM to use to the fullest extent of your skills and knowledge, or absolutely FREE to uninstall, cancel, delete, and walk away anytime you want without any hidden fees or penalties. Free to openly share multi track projects and collaborate, start up bands with anyone in the world from anywhere in the world, or free to just allow listeners to stream and listen to your music. Free to except constructive criticism, free to delete any comments you find misleading or offensive, free to link your Bandlab page to any other social media websites and vis versa, free to activate your tip jar and create another or first revenue stream, and if that's not a great way to promote and help support your efforts I don't know what is...

Just as free as you are to turn a blind eye to it all and receive an absolutely free "no money back guarantee"  to forever remain a starving artist, simply because you are used to supporting your beliefs in doing "nothing at all" based on your firm and utterly self righteous ridiculously narrow minded beliefs of "everybody is out to get from you". 
 Well I think that's good, not good for you, but great for me, because if you are that self righteous and narrow minded to actually believe that then I seriously doubt I would like to hear too much more about just because you can put it to music you hide away in some sort of closet so nobody can steal it from you.

The slogan "If it sounds to good to be true then it probably isn't." does indeed merit careful, balanced, and thoughtful consideration. It's a slogan, not a rule or a law carved in stone.
 And those who can't or refuse to understand that will forever spin themselves around the wheels of indecision until they become complete losers.

And so after a year of careful, balanced, and thoughtful considerations not only witnessing, but actually participating and experiencing the positive growth and forward thinking progress of CbB and Bandlab.com, I have survived it a much happier and grateful artist without having my mojo sucked out of me, or anyone stealing da riddums from my secret sauces, or claiming ownership over my ideas or anything I would consider my own personal intellectual properties..

And so I would like to give much thanks and appreciation to Meng and the Bandlab crew for all the support for making my life so much less DAW trouble free, and so much more ease and FUN sharing and publishing music.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/12/04 21:35:48 (permalink)
For me, it was going from Sonar 8.5 Studio to CbB. I had gone over to Reaper for awhile and was making do there, but it's not the best DAW for a classical composer, even with their new Staff View, which is very good. When I heard that Sonar was going the way of the Dinodaws, if you'll pardon the pun, I panicked, because I had not upgraded from 8.5. I was using Producer, but it had some weird bugs, like certain East West instruments causing it to crash. So I decided to go back to 8.5 Studio, and that worked perfectly. Although I demoed Cubase and Samplitude, they were not to my liking, so I figured that Sonar 8.5 Studio would be my DAW from here to Eternity, on Windows 7. I was resigned to this fate until the news broke that Meng and his crew had recued Sonar. I was going to pay whatever they asked, and could not believe it when they decided to just give it away. It was like unconditional forgiveness. Even though I never paid for Platinum, my sins were forgiven. Like many, I keep waiting for a reason to doubt the good faith of this operation, but so far it hasn't happened. I have not reached the point of trusting Bandlab enough to post my music there, but will continue to evaluate the situation. I just need to know that there truly is respect for intellectual property.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

sven450
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 945
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/12/05 15:21:10 (permalink)
losguy

...seamless.

Me too.  Could not be happier

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
Roland Octa-Capture            
Win 10 
i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
Some songs
Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
Originals:
 https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
Pietrzakdale
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/12/05 20:11:38 (permalink)
My experience was fine.  I was expecting issues, there have been none so far.  Wonderful!
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... 2018/12/05 23:57:37 (permalink)
Steev
 I couldn't agree with Losguy more.. When Gibson threw SONAR under the buss by checking out and canceling future support last year, I knew it was only a matter of time before it going to eventually die with continued OS updating and innovations.
 I of course fully intended to keep using SONAR until the last computer I had that would support it died of old age,
Studio ONE was my first logical choice to migrate towards based on hands on experience collaborating with SO users I've personally experienced.
 I've experienced quite a few different DAWs thru collaborations, and SO was always the most stable, it was also the only DAW that was so innovative where I thought; "Dammy, I wish the Bakers of SONAR though of that!"
 All the things that could be done like rearranging song composition by selecting and moving verses, bridges, chorus sections around are time consuming, and  a tad complicated with slicing and dicing with SONAR, where a simple task with SO's tab editing feature made it as simple as clicking and dragging on the tab with a mouse is a thing of envy for a diehard Cake Head like me.
 And the new Studio One 4 with the new Presonus QUANTUM interfaces gets second place for my 2018 "Cup of Drool Award".

Second only to Bandlab and Meng's insight and generosity for pulling Cakewalk out from under the buss of doom, IMPROVE it and continuing support, alone with services provided by Bandlab.com makes CbB the clear and distant first place winner here. 
 DO NOT overlook how Bandlab.com makes it so ultimately fast and easy to share projects and collaborate with others, no matter what kind or DAW, plugins, or lack there of they are using.

Look at Bandlab.com as the closest thing to a perfect cross platform experience for collaboration without having to go through the learning curve pains of learning how to make Reason projects work with CbB, or easily integrate and merge Ableton Live projects with Pro Tools combined with select audio mixed with MIDI loops, easily into any DAW you are intimately familiar with..
 All of this is simple child's play with Bandlab's "Mix Editor", and Publishing is so easy a monkey could do it..

Don't let the blind eyes of skepticism lead you down the narrow path fear and indecision.
 That's a direct path to becoming your own worse enemy.
 Very destructive, very silly path, considering Cakewalk and Bandlab are FREE!
 Not free to try before you buy, they are totally FREE to use with no strings attached, ungoverned artistic license, untethered to record contracts, no restrictions, no one telling you what you can or can't do, just absolute FREEDOM to use to the fullest extent of your skills and knowledge, or absolutely FREE to uninstall, cancel, delete, and walk away anytime you want without any hidden fees or penalties. Free to openly share multi track projects and collaborate, start up bands with anyone in the world from anywhere in the world, or free to just allow listeners to stream and listen to your music. Free to except constructive criticism, free to delete any comments you find misleading or offensive, free to link your Bandlab page to any other social media websites and vis versa, free to activate your tip jar and create another or first revenue stream, and if that's not a great way to promote and help support your efforts I don't know what is...

Just as free as you are to turn a blind eye to it all and receive an absolutely free "no money back guarantee"  to forever remain a starving artist, simply because you are used to supporting your beliefs in doing "nothing at all" based on your firm and utterly self righteous ridiculously narrow minded beliefs of "everybody is out to get from you". 
 Well I think that's good, not good for you, but great for me, because if you are that self righteous and narrow minded to actually believe that then I seriously doubt I would like to hear too much more about just because you can put it to music you hide away in some sort of closet so nobody can steal it from you.

The slogan "If it sounds to good to be true then it probably isn't." does indeed merit careful, balanced, and thoughtful consideration. It's a slogan, not a rule or a law carved in stone.
 And those who can't or refuse to understand that will forever spin themselves around the wheels of indecision until they become complete losers.

And so after a year of careful, balanced, and thoughtful considerations not only witnessing, but actually participating and experiencing the positive growth and forward thinking progress of CbB and Bandlab.com, I have survived it a much happier and grateful artist without having my mojo sucked out of me, or anyone stealing da riddums from my secret sauces, or claiming ownership over my ideas or anything I would consider my own personal intellectual properties..

And so I would like to give much thanks and appreciation to Meng and the Bandlab crew for all the support for making my life so much less DAW trouble free, and so much more ease and FUN sharing and publishing music.

I found the above to be an excellent post. I thank you for sharing. 

Best
John
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1