Setting project tempo

Author
lapasoa
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 193
2018/12/02 18:24:14 (permalink)

Setting project tempo

I think that tempo setting is too small to see and in some way intricate to set.
Have all of you some good idea to make it better?

9 Replies Related Threads

willard cottrell
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: Setting project tempo 2018/12/03 00:00:55 (permalink)
    You could just enter it in the tempo dropdown in the view menu
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Setting project tempo 2018/12/03 00:58:11 (permalink)
    Maybe this will help...you can control tempo from an external clock, like a drum machine. From The Huge Book of Cakewalk by BandLab Tips:

…so really, the only practical use I’ve found is this: Suppose you start off a song by laying down some MIDI tracks. You’re not really sure what’s going to be the ideal tempo, and you can’t change tempo continuously in Cakewalk by BandLabB - you have to enter the new tempo, but you won’t hear the change until you hit return. By using a device with continuously variable tempo, like a drum machine or other clock source, you can vary the tempo without limitation to find out what tempo you like best.

However if you want soft synths to follow these tempo changes, you need to use LoopBe.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Setting project tempo 2018/12/03 05:59:30 (permalink)
    FWIW, here's how i like to set tempo in a new project:

- Disable Stop at Project End in Track View Options if it isn't already so you can run the transport in an empty project.
    - Start playback with no click sounding, count off a couple-few measures in your head, and stop the transport on the next downbeat.
    - Shift+M to open Set Measure/Beat At Now, and enter that measure and beat.
    - SONAR will set the tempo to make the specified beat fall on the absolute Now time where you stopped the transport.

This gives very accurate results in a new project with low latency where the transport start/stop is almost instantaneous. Note that SONAR will also insert a matching tempo at the beat you set. It won't matter unless you go changing tempos later, but you can delete it if necessary.

This works especially well when setting a tempo for someone else. You can just ask them to count or beat a tempo and start/stop the transport on their count.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    lapasoa
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re: Setting project tempo 2018/12/03 15:26:07 (permalink)
    The right suggestion it seems to me what Craig says. In fact the major criticality is to adjust the tempo until you find the right speed in a confortable way. And  that is possible only if you get something that you can use to vary  the speed in an easy way. I don't think that now CbB has this possibility.
    Anderton
    Re: Setting project tempo 2018/12/03 18:34:05 (permalink)
    There's also tap tempo, although that still isn't continuously variable.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Setting project tempo 2018/12/03 19:33:36 (permalink)
    I've used both Craig and Brundlefly's ideas and both work great.
    Craig's idea I used when I first started using cakewalk many, many years ago and only changed methods because I began working differently.
    Brundlfly's idea, Is how learned the Shift+M to open Set Measure/Beat At Now "For scratch ideas".

Now I use a little bit of both but more importantly, I use the "Custom module".
    the whole right side of my Custom module is full of Tempo commands, which give me quick access to tap tempo, set tempo and meter changes <---- that last one I consider part of tempo options seeing how tempo and key signatures are the basis of any material you are laying out.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Anderton
    Re: Setting project tempo 2018/12/03 19:39:29 (permalink)
    chuckebaby
    the whole right side of my Custom module is full of Tempo commands, which give me quick access to tap tempo, set tempo and meter changes <---- that last one I consider part of tempo options seeing how tempo and key signatures are the basis of any material you are laying out.

That's a great tip! I particularly like the quick access to tap tempo aspect.

cpkoch
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 345
    Re: Setting project tempo 2018/12/29 18:51:49 (permalink)
    Will the tempo setting approach set the tempo for all of the notes in a piece or just the note set for "now time"

Sonar Platinum, HP Z210 Desktop PC,  Windows 10  64 Bit, 12  GB RAM,  Steinberg UR22 Interface Unit,  M-Audio Keyboard Studio USB MIDI Keyboard, APEX-TK -Condenser Unidirectional MIC, Audio Technica AT2020 USB MIC

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Setting project tempo 2018/12/29 21:44:33 (permalink)
    cpkoch
    Will the tempo setting approach set the tempo for all of the notes in a piece or just the note set for "now time"

Shift-M allows you to specify the timeline position for where the now time cursor is sitting, and this will only assign that one position. Depending on how much drift there is in a song, you can sometimes get away with only needing this every few measures or even more (for pieces with tight timing or recorded to a drum machine), but many pieces do not vary enough that you need to do more often than the down beat on each measure (but a few may require this).

That said, the tempo map is only important if you intend to add MIDI (soft synths) tracks, since they will run and are clocked to the project tempo. If working only with audio, the tempo map is not as critical, unless using plugins that are tempo-based (delays, etc.).

As you work with covers a lot, the easiest way to tempo map is to set the project tempo "close" and scoot the audio to the right so that the first downbeat lands on a measure marker. Shift-M that (to lock that measure to that downbeat), then start working down the timeline to assign downbeats that are drifting off the timeline.

As an aside, a nifty "utility" program that is very good with giving tempo information, key, etc. is a program called "RiffStation" which is more geared for guitarists, but has a lot of utilities anyone can use. That was made *free* earlier this year, and the web site for it still shows it as available. It is worth grabbing that and registering it, even if you may not use if right away. A some point it is rumored that it will disappear, but it habitually is very good with tempo detection. Edit: Not even sure if you have to register it... it seems to be "just free" after I clicked the download link.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1