Helpful ReplyDoes Anyone Use Cakwalk For Voice Over Recording?

Author
optimus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 316
2018/12/04 06:56:44 (permalink)

Does Anyone Use Cakwalk For Voice Over Recording?

Does anyone use Cakewalk for doing voice over work?

I've been watching on YouTube how VO artist Mike DelGaudio (Booth Junkie) does it using Reaper. He seems to have set up a template just for editing narration, and so, is able to edit quite quickly.

I have set up a similar template in CbB, but would like to know if anyone else out there uses CbB exclusively for this type of
work, and how they approach it.

I downloaded Reaper and tested his system, but I really don't want to learn a new DAW if I can get similar results in CbB.

Cheers.

post edited by optimus - 2018/12/05 04:03:26

Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Roland Octacapture, Windows 7, i5 processor, 8 Gb RAM, X_Touch
Steev
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: DOES ANYONE USE CAKEWALK FOR VOICE OVER RECORDING? 2018/12/04 08:23:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby galeom 2018/12/04 10:03:07
Absolutely, anything you can do in Reaper can be done in CbB. I've done literally 100's if not 1000's of voice over sessions with SONAR over the years.
 The trick is to get the right mic for the right voice in an acoustically treated room environment. 
I've found that mic to typically be the Electrovoice RE 20. It's the world class Swiss Army Knife of vocal mics.
 And just like CbB it's versatile enough to be custom tailored for any timbre of voice, it can easily be used for a plethora of other recording applications. 

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

optimus
Re: DOES ANYONE USE CAKEWALK FOR VOICE OVER RECORDING? 2018/12/04 08:42:59 (permalink)
Steev, how do you approach editing?
Watching Booth Junkies videos, I've found his ripple editing technique, but applied in CbB, to be very quick.
However CbB has an advantage over Reaper, in that you don't need to split a clip to remove a section. Selecting the unwanted section and then hitting Delete is sufficient to join the clips back.

Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Roland Octacapture, Windows 7, i5 processor, 8 Gb RAM, X_Touch
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: DOES ANYONE USE CAKEWALK FOR VOICE OVER RECORDING? 2018/12/04 12:52:57 (permalink)
I believe forum member Yorolpal does a lot of v/o work with Sonar.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
burgerproduction
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 209
Re: DOES ANYONE USE CAKEWALK FOR VOICE OVER RECORDING? 2018/12/04 13:23:37 (permalink)
I've done V/O work both for HitRecord.org, and a handful professional projects, all using Sonar.
If you've got a decent input mic; pop shield; pre-amp & know how to gate and compress a voice, you can get that V/O sound easily; but it all depends on your voice.
I used to work for a V/O company (biggest in its field) and the voice-over artist is what makes the recording great. If you've got a nasally annoying voice, no amount of tricks will make you sound like a pro V/O.
Practice dropping your voice to a BBC V/O level. That makes you sound pro right off the bat. Also control your pronunciation of plosives. There are ways to say 'p' and 'f' without popping the mic. There used to be a BBC handbook all about how to do this.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum Lifetimer, Windows 10, HP Laptop, CPU i5, RAM 8GB. Audio interface: Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface with moded drivers. Microphones: Audio-Technica, M-Audio, Behringer, AKG. Pianos: Casio digital, Yamaha B1 upright.  Guitars: Dobro, Tanglewood, Danelectro, Fender. Hats: Fez
Check out my music :
https://53mph.bandcamp.com/album/like-water-to-the-sand

Jimbo 88
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1828
Re: DOES ANYONE USE CAKEWALK FOR VOICE OVER RECORDING? 2018/12/04 14:55:54 (permalink)
Ive been doing VO recording, editing, mixing for 3o+ years as a way to fish for music composing jobs.  I started on tape and have used a Roland system, Protools, Cubase and Cakewalk/Sonar.  I've mixed hour long TV shows, commercials and Industrial videos. Maybe because I'm more familiar with Cake I have found it way easier and quicker.  Cakewalk has always been a step ahead tech-wise...like 64bit as an example. Technology is constantly evolving and I tend to see things as long run and at any given moment Cake has seemed to be ahead. 

Protools is more compatible with Video editors (AVID) and is designed more as a mixing app so pros tend to use that.  Cubase has some really good advanced features like pitch correcting and time stretching that is hard to match and those things can save your life if a narrator reads a line wrong or you need to "Frankenstein" a sentence.

I've been relegated to doing more of this than I'd like due to the proliferation of music libraries these days. I just did a ruff mix yesterday and was marveling at how cool the new version of Cake with the ripple editing is and how cool the plugins sound.  I used iZotope Nectar Elements on the vo track  which I think I got for free, the LB multiband compressor on the master (I think was free?) plus a couple of Wave plugins.  That along with iZotopes RX plugins to fix any bad audio thrown at you, creating exceptionally sounding pro VO mixes is so easy. 

I'm looking at my big screen monitor, Cake with its themes and all the colors, all the great sounding plugins...and just marveling at how cool this all is and sounds.  

Cakewalk By Bandlab
Cubase 9.5 Pro
Windows 7 64 Bit   Core i7-8700   32 Gig Ram 3.20ghz  
RME Fireface 400 Audio Card
Behringer FCA 1616
Sweetwater Creation Station

Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: DOES ANYONE USE CAKEWALK FOR VOICE OVER RECORDING? 2018/12/04 15:37:24 (permalink)
+1 get the Izotpe Elements Suite.  Great bang for the buck for voice over work, and will do most of the work for you automatically in a lot of cases.  Really saves time.  
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: DOES ANYONE USE CAKEWALK FOR VOICE OVER RECORDING? 2018/12/04 16:28:05 (permalink)
I used to.

I had a VO pro come here for family ski vacations. He would come in with copy, get in the booth, bark out his lines and toss cash on the console. (4 bcf2000s) and go. He left me the email address of where to send the wav files.
Saw him every winter.

Easiest money ever made at makin tracks recording studio.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: DOES ANYONE USE CAKEWALK FOR VOICE OVER RECORDING? 2018/12/04 21:06:17 (permalink)
I've done a TON (a metric ton, even) of narration using Sonar and now CbB. The key to me for speed is keyboard shortcuts. Just analyze everything you do during the editing process, and create a keyboard shortcut.

I do have a workflow, but trying to describe it in words in a forum post would be difficult at best. Also it involves having a script...all my VO stuff is scripted.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: DOES ANYONE USE CAKEWALK FOR VOICE OVER RECORDING? 2018/12/04 21:30:03 (permalink)
I've been working on an audio book for over 2 years using Sonar. Things got WAY easier once ripple editing became a feature. I use a custom template for a stripped down interface and find I can get around pretty quick. I suppose some of the more in-depth features like lenses could work quite well but I've not tried it to create a custom workspace.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: DOES ANYONE USE CAKEWALK FOR VOICE OVER RECORDING? 2018/12/04 21:31:07 (permalink)
ampfixer
I suppose some of the more in-depth features like lenses could work quite well but I've not tried it to create a custom workspace.

Hmmmm...I think you're on to something there.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Jimbo 88
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1828
Re: DOES ANYONE USE CAKEWALK FOR VOICE OVER RECORDING? 2018/12/05 02:12:33 (permalink)
Anderton
IThe key to me for speed is keyboard shortcuts. Just analyze everything you do during the editing process, and create a keyboard shortcut.

+1...before ripple editing I had my keyboard shortcuts pretty much cover that issue, but the ripple is better. I just wish there was a warning sign or something to let me know its on.

Cakewalk By Bandlab
Cubase 9.5 Pro
Windows 7 64 Bit   Core i7-8700   32 Gig Ram 3.20ghz  
RME Fireface 400 Audio Card
Behringer FCA 1616
Sweetwater Creation Station

burgerproduction
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 209
Re: DOES ANYONE USE CAKEWALK FOR VOICE OVER RECORDING? 2018/12/05 10:07:51 (permalink)
Anderton
I do have a workflow, but trying to describe it in words in a forum post would be difficult at best. Also it involves having a script...all my VO stuff is scripted.

I second that. The company I worked for recorded and edited thousands of hours of audio narration. Everything was scripted which meant that the engineers could mark the script with cut & edit points during the narration, saving loads of time in the studio.
I'm guessing that many YouTubers don't use scripts (though I'm happy to be corrected), just edit on the fly.
I depends on how you intend to work.

I also second Jimbo. Many studios use Pro Tools so that sessions can be shared between studios. Ours had Pro Tools on Mac. I never really liked it myself, hence I'm here. There are pros and cons to all systems, but I cannot really see a major advantage to Reaper over the New FREE DAW by Cakewalk/BandLab.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum Lifetimer, Windows 10, HP Laptop, CPU i5, RAM 8GB. Audio interface: Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface with moded drivers. Microphones: Audio-Technica, M-Audio, Behringer, AKG. Pianos: Casio digital, Yamaha B1 upright.  Guitars: Dobro, Tanglewood, Danelectro, Fender. Hats: Fez
Check out my music :
https://53mph.bandcamp.com/album/like-water-to-the-sand

Sidroe
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1954
Re: DOES ANYONE USE CAKEWALK FOR VOICE OVER RECORDING? 2018/12/06 18:00:48 (permalink)
I have used nothing but Sonar and then Platinum for many years for television and radio commercials. It sure makes things simple when you are writing custom jingles and the voice over and foley sound fx all in the same DAW project. I have not run in to any situation that Cakewalk has let me down, so far!

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: DOES ANYONE USE CAKEWALK FOR VOICE OVER RECORDING? 2018/12/06 18:04:44 (permalink)
I used to use cakewalk all the time for television commercial voiceover work. It worked as well as anything else I have ever used
optimus
Re: DOES ANYONE USE CAKEWALK FOR VOICE OVER RECORDING? 2018/12/06 21:47:26 (permalink)
Thank you to all. Your remarks have given me great confidence.
Cheers.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1