Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony

Author
Euthymia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
2018/12/08 12:02:54 (permalink)

Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony

I had been wondering what BandLab had in mind for Harmony, another brand they have acquired.

I'm a longtime fan of the old Harmony guitars. Whoever Meng and co. got to design these guitars (and that amp), I flat out think these axes are sex on wheels.

(and for you "how is this company going to survive" people, this might go some way toward answering your questions)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2hSB_dOR_U

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly

16 Replies Related Threads

Brian Walton
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 584
    Re: Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony 2018/12/08 19:27:04 (permalink)
    I sincerely hope this is successful for them.

As for answering questions about "how is this company going to survive"  The last place I'd want to invest money in is an electric guitar manufacturing business (and I'm a guitar player).  Hopefully the market for such things is better than it is in the USA.  

https://qz.com/1013293/rock-and-roll-is-dead-sales-of-fender-and-gibson-electric-guitars-prove-it/

Again, I really hope this generates profit...just pointing out what I thought was fairly common knowledge.
    Toddskins
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re: Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony 2018/12/08 20:10:25 (permalink)
    I LOVE guitar, especially electric, but I gave it my best several years ago and it's just not my instrument.  Too difficult.  I'm a pianist at heart, and synthesist, too.

So much to comment on regarding that very cool video.

1) Does Jeremy have a twin brother there?  And they both work for BandLab?
    2) Was the Harmony amp being played through at the end (with the white front) surrounded by blue (or black) leather/vinyl?  'Looked blue to me, and how gorgeous!
    3) Who is the interviewer that played the guitar?

That equipment looks very, very nice.
    post edited by Toddskins - 2018/12/08 21:11:06
    Euthymia
    Re: Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony 2018/12/09 10:06:21 (permalink)
    Brian Walton
    As for answering questions about "how is this company going to survive"  The last place I'd want to invest money in is an electric guitar manufacturing business (and I'm a guitar player).  Hopefully the market for such things is better than it is in the USA.  

https://qz.com/1013293/rock-and-roll-is-dead-sales-of-fender-and-gibson-electric-guitars-prove-it/

Again, I really hope this generates profit...just pointing out what I thought was fairly common knowledge.

At the end of the article, they posted a rebuttal by the CEO of Fender:

"Fender CEO Andy Mooney told Quartz via email that Fender currently has under $100 million in debt, less than half the amount it had in 2012. 'Sales of fretted instruments are in great shape and Fender’s electric guitar and amp revenues have been steadily rising for several years.'"

And I would not look to Gibson for indication of the health of the electric guitar industry as a whole. I think the guy who was running the place was, frankly, incompetent.

-Erik
    Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony 2018/12/09 10:51:37 (permalink)
    Those look like Very Nice Guitars .

I can certainly see myself playing them

I can be reached at ...............

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Brian Walton
    Re: Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony 2018/12/10 15:53:07 (permalink)
    Euthymia
    Brian Walton

At the end of the article, they posted a rebuttal by the CEO of Fender:

"Fender CEO Andy Mooney told Quartz via email that Fender currently has under $100 million in debt, less than half the amount it had in 2012. 'Sales of fretted instruments are in great shape and Fender’s electric guitar and amp revenues have been steadily rising for several years.'"

And I would not look to Gibson for indication of the health of the electric guitar industry as a whole. I think the guy who was running the place was, frankly, incompetent.

Agree that Gibson isn't the benchmark for a properly run business.  However, Fender's argument of we are less worse off than we were isn't a strong selling point to me.  

I'd think you would be hard pressed to find a mid-high volume electric guitar maker that is doing "really well" in the current USA market.  Can't speak to other markets.  
    Steev
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 314
    Re: Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony 2018/12/10 22:02:02 (permalink)
    WOW, this is just TOO COOL! And another reason to LOVE Bandlab!

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
    Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
    Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
    Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
    Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re: Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony 2018/12/10 22:43:02 (permalink)
    Cool guitars!

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    Euthymia
    Re: Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony 2018/12/12 01:09:09 (permalink)
    I remember guitars being pronounced dead in the '80's when synths were all the rage. Haircut 100 and A Flock of Seagulls had supposedly laid them to rest.

And of course, there's the famous story about the record company executive who passed on The Beatles because he thought guitar bands were passe.

So I'm inclined to roll my eyes each time guitar music or rock music or whatever is pronounced dead, and kick back and wait for the next Beatles or Ramones or Sex Pistols or Nirvana or Green Day or Oasis or whoever are the next ones who are going to pick up axes and connect with disaffected youth. And yes, I know that my list ends decades ago, but I'm 57, okay? The newer guitar bands I like aren't aimed at disaffected youth. Wooden Shjips and Mugstar aren't teen sensations.

As long as we produce pissed-off young people, electric guitars and the music played with them are unlikely to become entirely obsolete.

-Erik
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re: Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony 2018/12/12 01:32:25 (permalink)
    I never actually realized that BandLab was so big of a company.

I own a Mono Bass case and never new that they had acquired the Mono brand

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Brian Walton
    Re: Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony 2018/12/12 14:50:11 (permalink)
    Euthymia
    I remember guitars being pronounced dead in the '80's when synths were all the rage. Haircut 100 and A Flock of Seagulls had supposedly laid them to rest.

And of course, there's the famous story about the record company executive who passed on The Beatles because he thought guitar bands were passe.

So I'm inclined to roll my eyes each time guitar music or rock music or whatever is pronounced dead, and kick back and wait for the next Beatles or Ramones or Sex Pistols or Nirvana or Green Day or Oasis or whoever are the next ones who are going to pick up axes and connect with disaffected youth. And yes, I know that my list ends decades ago, but I'm 57, okay? The newer guitar bands I like aren't aimed at disaffected youth. Wooden Shjips and Mugstar aren't teen sensations.

As long as we produce pissed-off young people, electric guitars and the music played with them are unlikely to become entirely obsolete.

They are not obsolete, the problem is too many of them have been produced over all these decades...and unless they were abused they still work.  (Recently was part of a sale of an Acoustic made in 1939 that sounded amazing)

Lots of people playing guitar, but it is the Guitar Center problem...giant store and only so many guitars are needed for the population.  It is a flooded market in the USA.  

I own guitars I haven't played in almost 10 years becuase I have too many of them.  

Certainly new guitars still need to be made, the issue is there are a number of makers in the field all vying for a few dollars.  It is a rough business to make the profit investors expect to have a return on their money.  
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony 2018/12/12 15:48:01 (permalink)
    This thread made me look into the Harmony Monterey acoustic I have from my Dad. It *seems* to be a H1327 (later model due to the musical note on the headstock, c. 1945). I had popped the back off in 2014 to truss the back of the body and realized I do not remember if I ever wrote anything about it down... the new truss blocks the back and I forget what was printed inside of it now. His thumb wore through the paint on the back of the neck, which is a rather cool for its heirloom value.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Euthymia
    Re: Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony 2018/12/13 00:40:56 (permalink)
    Brian Walton
    They are not obsolete, the problem is too many of them have been produced over all these decades...and unless they were abused they still work.

You have an excellent point there. They don't wear out like automobiles and small appliances. The growth market is probably in lessons and setups/repairs (it really is, that's how smaller stores are staying in business; my friend opened a store in Portland, OR 2 years ago and is doing great with used gear and repairs).

But don't people still want to buy brand new guitars?

Do mom and dad want to buy Jason or Bethany a used Stratocaster on Craig's List or do they want a shiny new one?

Does William Blueslawyer, Esq. want to buy a $7000.00 Les Paul sunburst on eBay or does he want to go to a store and be treated like royalty and take home a brand new one?

I don't know, I only ever buy used, except for one time, when I bought my Martin D1 20 years ago. Guitar Center was running a fantastic sale.

Some people do only want new stuff. I don't know why. Cooties?

-Erik
    BRainbow
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 399
    Re: Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony 2018/12/15 09:40:31 (permalink)
    Still have the first guitar I ever bought - a Harmony Sovereign:  $107.00 in 1970.  Had to buy it when I went away to college cuz my sister wouldn't let me take her guitar that she never used.  Still sounds warm and wonderful with great lows.  The intonation is pretty bad, but I use it for slide and open tunings and it works out.  I think John Sebastian used to play one right around that time.  Go Bandlab.

Cakewalk (forever), Two WIN10 64-bit DAWs: home-brew ASRock x299 Taichi / i7 7820x w/ 64GB RAM and ASUS X99A-II / i7-5820K w/ 32GB RAM, ZOOM UAC 8, Mackie ONYX 1640i FW Mixer/Interface, Mackie ONYX 1200F, Avalon U5 PreAmp, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Composer CloudX, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Ensoniq SD-1 and ESQ-1, Korg M1rEX, Yamaha TX-81Z, Roland D110, Line6 HELIX Rack and Native, POD HD-Pro, POD Farm 2.5, Yamaha NS-10 and Presonus Eris E8 monitors, Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano, mics, guitars, basses, and the cutest little tambourine.
    Brian Walton
    Re: Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony 2018/12/26 17:52:11 (permalink)
    Ok, so today I discovered that Bandlab owns Heritage Guitars Inc.....yes, my absolute favorite electric guitar company.  The one that made the only guitar I've ever played that feels like it was made for me (a Heritage Prospect), and I've had the good fortune to play a lot of very nice instruments modern and vintage.  
    jgarland
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 147
    Re: Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony 2018/12/27 02:28:48 (permalink)

Cakewalk by BandLab, Asrock X399 Fatal1ty, TR 1950X, Enermax TR4 360 AIO Cooler, G.Skill Flare X F4-3200C14Q--32GFX RAM, HAF 932 advanced case, Seasonic 1000 SSR-1000TD psu, 960 EVO 1TB & 250GB NVMe pcie SSD, 850 EVO 1TB (data), Gigabyte GTX 1080, Saffire Pro 26, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, empty wallet :)
    Brian Walton
    Re: Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony 2018/12/27 16:55:17 (permalink)
    jgarland
    Interesting read...

https://www.mlive.com/new...ritage_guitar_sou.html

I also noticed they discountied my favorite model.  

Story you posted also reinforces my statements above about how tough the Gutiar Making business is.

I've played a lot of guitars including "holy grails" of 50s Gibsons, and what Heritage was doing was top tier some of the finest instruments ever created came out of that place.  

They didn't need CNC machines or Pleck to make the Masterpiece that I own from them.  
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1