Helpful ReplyAssistance with XLN AD2 Snare hits.

Author
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
2018/12/10 19:15:57 (permalink)

Assistance with XLN AD2 Snare hits.

Hello Everyone,

While in AD2 I have noticed that I am not hearing the snare sound in most of my ADpaks. 
Lets say from the Gallery Tab I select the ADPAK Studio Prog Kit and from the right side of the kit, I select "Lets Sway".
I should immediately hear a snare in that ADpak, but it is not there.
I can select all of my ADpaks and the sane drum parts are missing.
As i scroll through my MIDIpaks I can't find a Snare hit available.

When in the Transform section of AD 2 and I solo the Kick Drum and then look down at the transport section, the kick drum midi pattern is the only pattern in view and it is moving as each kick pattern is played.  The same thinks happens when I solo the Hi hat, the Toms and the Ride.  However, When I solo the snare drum, the midi pattern stops moving as no sound is heard from the snare drum.   I can choose any ADpak and any Midipak and the same thin will happens, no snare sound is available.

I have opened the XLN installer and uninstalled the Entire Addictive Drums 2 and all of the ADpacks and MDIpacks from my computer and then re-install them back again. The problem is still the same as the Snare drums can't be heard.

I have written XLN and they are investigating. 

Any Ideas?

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Assistance with XLN AD2 Snare hits. 2018/12/10 20:19:21 (permalink)
Your description is a very different way than how I use AD2.

As example, long time ago I loaded Fairfax and built from there.  Go to the GUI  KIT screen. There I can change any of the kit pieces to use what is in my purchases. Only what I own will show. I can use the snare from any of my 3 Ad Packs. 

You can also assign different kit pieces to unused keys in the MAP page.

I build my own kit then name and save it as a pre set. My kits have very little of those original kits. They are just a starting point,  sort of demos.

Try opening the GUI and exploring all the tabs to get familiar with the VST.  Build your kit and save it as a pre set. 
There you can test the snare is working.

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: Assistance with XLN AD2 Snare hits. 2018/12/10 20:55:59 (permalink)
I've had a similar problem with AD trying to use an older drum MIDI file I sequenced on Roland JV 1080 years ago that used a PC (program change) to force the JV into a standard GM (general MIDI) drum map format. The PC was stored in SONAR which changed AD's key mapping to GM, which doesn't correspond to AD's standard 'kit piece' key assignment mapping.

If that's the case, you can manually switch "Key Map" settings back.
Click on the "?" in the top right and "Map Window" will be the first listed in the dropdown menu.
 On the left top of the Map Window click on "Map Preset" and choose AD Standard mapping is selected for use with standard AD MIDI packs.
 Things could get very strange to stranger still if any other maps gets accidently selected.

Good Luck!

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Assistance with XLN AD2 Snare hits. 2018/12/10 21:19:00 (permalink)
Start a new empty project and insert Addictive Drums.

Click on the "KIT" button on the top right, next to the "EDIT" button.

Now click on the picture of the snare drum.

Hear anything?  You are in the mixer view there, so if you don't hear the snare, maybe you can figure out why not.  You should see the meters jump when you hit any kit piece, as well as hear the sample play.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Jesse G
Re: Assistance with XLN AD2 Snare hits. 2018/12/10 22:41:01 (permalink)
abacab,

I have no problems with the Snare pieces as part of a Kit as I can hear the snare drum when I click on it, however, when the snare is played as part of an entire drum kit, the snare is not triggered by the midi patterns from the MIDIpaks.

In AD2 on the Beats tab, If you look down at the transport section you will see the small right arrows that represent the Drum pieces.   From bottom up is the Kick, Snare, Hi-hat and so on. Well in that area non of my Snare hits are being triggered.

If I then click the transform tab and solo the Kick in that location only the Kick is heard.  When I try to do it for the snare, no snare is heard.

See the photo below to see where the snare is muted but the midi notes below is not moving when play is pressed to trigger the snare beats.

The area above the words "Not Moving" should be moving from right to left to trigger the snare hits when play is pressed. This moves for all other soled drum pieces except for the snare.

Peace,

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Assistance with XLN AD2 Snare hits. 2018/12/10 23:18:26 (permalink)
Jesse, if you drag the pattern from the AD2 library out to the track in Cakewalk/Sonar as a MIDI clip, do you get the same result when that clip is played back in the DAW?

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: Assistance with XLN AD2 Snare hits. 2018/12/10 23:31:13 (permalink)
I just tried that exact preset and heard the snare (actually a doubled snare (second one in a Flexi slot)) no problem. The only difference I notice is that your sidestick Variants are grayed out and mine weren't.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: Assistance with XLN AD2 Snare hits. 2018/12/11 00:23:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2018/12/11 16:12:08
Did you check the keymap (Helpmenu in AD2)?

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
Toddskins
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 158
Re: Assistance with XLN AD2 Snare hits. 2018/12/11 00:34:26 (permalink)
Only somewhat related, AD2 Packs are on sale right now at 50% off (making them $45/kit).  I went ahead and picked up 3 more bringing my total to 7 kits.

If I were brand new to looking at a Drum VSTi, I think I could easily persuade myself to buy their Complete Edition for $700 which has all of everything they offer - 21 kits; 32 MIDI Paks; and 14 add'l kit (percussive) pieces.

I have not even begun to get serious at trying to use AD2 as I've been a long time getting out of a slump (years!) to record my compositions, but the past couple weeks I'm getting the fire back.  I have to do some reading and figuring out how to use AD2, so I plan to read the PDF manual my next late night trip to Denny's with my laptop.  Probably tomorrow night.
Jesse G
Re: Assistance with XLN AD2 Snare hits. 2018/12/11 04:28:08 (permalink)
abacab
Jesse, if you drag the pattern from the AD2 library out to the track in Cakewalk/Sonar as a MIDI clip, do you get the same result when that clip is played back in the DAW?

When I drag the Midi Clip out to CbB Midi track, there is no Midi snare on the midi track or in the piano roll. The Kick is present and the Hi-hat is there but no snare.

Peace,

Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Assistance with XLN AD2 Snare hits. 2018/12/11 04:46:26 (permalink)
Is the snare muted in AD2 Transform section, when you drag it out?

Additionally, if you solo the snare in the Transform section and drag it out, do any notes appear?

Jesse G
Re: Assistance with XLN AD2 Snare hits. 2018/12/11 04:47:44 (permalink)
OK thanks every one for giving me good advice to consider.

Under the map window for my snare, I had the snare rim shot selected mistakenly.  I changed it back to the open snare hit and suddenly my snare came back to life in for all of my AD2 kits.   I remember mapping my Drum Pad to AD2 several weeks ago but I have been playing AD2 manually by using the Drum Pad only.  When I tried to insert a Midi clip from an AD2 MIDIpak into my CbB Midi track, that's when I noticed I had a snare problem.

Whew, I am one happy camper now.. 

Peace,

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1