Helpful ReplyChronic Audio dropout on Cakewalk and SONAR doesn't recognize my audio interface

Author
telaquapacky
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2018/12/12 14:11:09 (permalink)

Chronic Audio dropout on Cakewalk and SONAR doesn't recognize my audio interface

I have both SONAR 8.5 Producer and Cakewalk for Bandlab on my computer. I would prefer to use Cakewalk because it is newer, but I am getting chronic audio dropout when I record. Either I have to find out how to avoid audio dropout I Cakewalk or go back to SONAR.

The problem with my SONAR is that I just installed it on this new computer, haven't used it yet, and it doesn't recognize my Universal Audio Arrow Audio Interface box, and the SONAR Help doesn't seem to have any instructions for making SONAR recognize a sound card- I guess it's supposed to do that automatically, but it doesn't and I don't know how to make it do that. SONAR help was "unhelpful."

I'm dead in the water for now unless anyone has any suggestions for either solving the audio drop out in Cakewalk for Bandlab, or SONAR to recognize my new Arrow audio interface.

I know what you're thinking. I have 32 GB of RAM, 64 bit Windows 10 OS, Intel Core processor @ 2.20 Ghz.

Dell XPS Intel Core i7 8750H CPU @2.20 Ghz, 32 GB Ram, Universal Audio Arrow Thunderbolt 3. Cakewalk by Bandlab
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Chronic Audio dropout on Cakewalk and SONAR doesn't recognize my audio interface 2018/12/12 15:05:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby telaquapacky 2018/12/13 01:30:38
I've had this happen before. Try reinstalling the drivers for your interface.
joegab
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 437
Re: Chronic Audio dropout on Cakewalk and SONAR doesn't recognize my audio interface 2018/12/12 16:21:30 (permalink)
Regarding the new PC, if the audio card is correctly installed and working, Cakewalk should be able to use it.

Try in ASIO mode.

Giorgio
telaquapacky
Re: Chronic Audio dropout on Cakewalk and SONAR doesn't recognize my audio interface 2018/12/13 01:35:45 (permalink)
Good. I replaced my United Audio driver and it seems to have helped, though the audio drop-outs were their worse while I was recording on two tracks at once. I haven't tried that today, but plan to try again tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. 

I'm finding Cakewalk from Bandlab very idiosyncratic and balky. I hope the upgrade will help when it's available. 

Dell XPS Intel Core i7 8750H CPU @2.20 Ghz, 32 GB Ram, Universal Audio Arrow Thunderbolt 3. Cakewalk by Bandlab
telaquapacky
Re: Chronic Audio dropout on Cakewalk and SONAR doesn't recognize my audio interface 2018/12/13 01:35:57 (permalink)
The sound card was working well, and resumed working well when I installed the new driver- and it was a more recent driver than I had before. If I still have problems with dropout, I have found that tinkering with the buffers has seemed to work.

BRainbow
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 399
Re: Chronic Audio dropout on Cakewalk and SONAR doesn't recognize my audio interface 2018/12/15 09:48:42 (permalink)
I just built a  powerful new music computer and I couldn't figure out why I was having audio dropouts on almost every song.  Turned out I had failed to re-authorize my Span plug-in that was on several buses.  It was silencing audio on my tracks every 10 or 15 seconds.  Make sure all your plug-ins are properly authorized and not running in Demo mode.

Cakewalk (forever), Two WIN10 64-bit DAWs: home-brew ASRock x299 Taichi / i7 7820x w/ 64GB RAM and ASUS X99A-II / i7-5820K w/ 32GB RAM, ZOOM UAC 8, Mackie ONYX 1640i FW Mixer/Interface, Mackie ONYX 1200F, Avalon U5 PreAmp, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Composer CloudX, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Ensoniq SD-1 and ESQ-1, Korg M1rEX, Yamaha TX-81Z, Roland D110, Line6 HELIX Rack and Native, POD HD-Pro, POD Farm 2.5, Yamaha NS-10 and Presonus Eris E8 monitors, Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano, mics, guitars, basses, and the cutest little tambourine.
telaquapacky
Re: Chronic Audio dropout on Cakewalk and SONAR doesn't recognize my audio interface 2019/01/06 03:40:49 (permalink)
I think I fixed the problem. Universal Audio has it's own Console Settings window where, if you have a UA audio card, you can adjust the buffers. You can't adjust the buffers just by following Cakewalk's instructions for troubleshooting Audio Drop out, by Edit>Preferences>Audio>Driver Settings, and by trying to slide the Latency Buffer Size slider to the right- it's greyed-out and doesn't respond.

BUT if you navigate the same way to Driver Settings, and double-click the "ASIO Panel..." button, UA's own "Console Settings" window opens up. There you CAN adjust the buffer size. I increased mine from 512 to 1024, and the Drop Outs stopped. So if you have a UA card like mine, you have to use their own controls to change the buffer size. 

Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Chronic Audio dropout on Cakewalk and SONAR doesn't recognize my audio interface 2019/01/08 00:55:39 (permalink)
I have a feeling this might be more an issue with your using Thunderbolt, A sort of Mac only idea that doesn't always work on a PC unless you read up on how to configure it. 
Your computer specs should be capable of running way down at the bottom. 
You should post this on the new forum as all the help has more or less abandoned this forum now.  
Cakewalk always recognizes ASIO drivers and will default to using them at a middle ground settings. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Chronic Audio dropout on Cakewalk and SONAR doesn't recognize my audio interface 2019/01/08 01:13:06 (permalink)
Cactus Music
Cakewalk always recognizes ASIO drivers and will default to using them at a middle ground settings. 

The DAW has no control over ASIO buffer settings, it queries the driver for buffer information. The ASIO driver manufacturer must supply the software to set up the buffer.
telaquapacky
...trying to slide the Latency Buffer Size slider to the right- it's greyed-out and doesn't respond.

BUT if you navigate the same way to Driver Settings, and double-click the "ASIO Panel..." button, UA's own "Console Settings" window opens up. There you CAN adjust the buffer size. I increased mine from 512 to 1024, and the Drop Outs stopped. So if you have a UA card like mine, you have to use their own controls to change the buffer size. 

The mix latency buffer slider is used for driver modes other than ASIO. The "ASIO Panel..." button tries to launch the control software supplied by the ASIO driver manufacturer.
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Chronic Audio dropout on Cakewalk and SONAR doesn't recognize my audio interface 2019/01/09 20:54:28 (permalink)
In my uncountable  times I've re built a DAW set up this has always been true for me. When I load up Sonar, or Cubase or Mixcraft for the first time the default is the ASIO driver and seems to be a middle ground of 256ms buffers. Possibly some manufactures have different defaults. Another factor is if I can I do not enable the on board audio driver and I set my interface as the default device before I even get around to installing Audio software.

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1