Helpful ReplyHow did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums?

Author
Toddskins
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 158
2018/12/15 05:35:26 (permalink)

How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums?

How did the recording engineers make the drums sound like there's an air gun blowing in the drums?
You can hear it in the opening 10 seconds of Styx "Father OSA"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9yvopaOZEQ

And I think the effect is used, but not as dramatic, on Shooting Star's "Last Chance" on the first drum fill response to the music buildup at 4:36 to 4:39

https://youtu.be/l5BqpvcWuyo?t=274

If I wanted to create that effect using Addictive Drums 2 (AD2), could it be done?
Euthymia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/15 07:52:12 (permalink)
The Styx one sounds like a stereo flange to me, if you're talking about the whooshy thing that's going on during the snare buzz roll.

I think if you poke around the presets in the Sonitus Modulator you'll find something like that.

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
Euthymia
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/15 08:46:23 (permalink)
I just threw the Sonitus Modulator on my drum bus using the "Classic Sweeping Flanger" preset, did a little Export and put it up on BandLab.

Is this what you mean?

https://www.bandlab.com/r...Uv4XEykM4Uyoy-9lhjlVMA

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
BRainbow
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 399
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/15 09:59:34 (permalink)
That sound seems like basically a flanger - mostly in the  hi frequencies.  But speaking of airgun (in the low frequencies) Addictive Drums has a sine pulse wave as one of its sound options for the "Flexi" slots.  Try mixing that in selectively with some of your kick and low tom notes for a blast of air out of your speakers.  Not too much.

Cakewalk (forever), Two WIN10 64-bit DAWs: home-brew ASRock x299 Taichi / i7 7820x w/ 64GB RAM and ASUS X99A-II / i7-5820K w/ 32GB RAM, ZOOM UAC 8, Mackie ONYX 1640i FW Mixer/Interface, Mackie ONYX 1200F, Avalon U5 PreAmp, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Composer CloudX, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Ensoniq SD-1 and ESQ-1, Korg M1rEX, Yamaha TX-81Z, Roland D110, Line6 HELIX Rack and Native, POD HD-Pro, POD Farm 2.5, Yamaha NS-10 and Presonus Eris E8 monitors, Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano, mics, guitars, basses, and the cutest little tambourine.
Toddskins
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/15 12:42:18 (permalink)
Euthymia
I just threw the Sonitus Modulator on my drum bus using the "Classic Sweeping Flanger" preset, did a little Export and put it up on BandLab.

Is this what you mean?

https://www.bandlab.com/r...Uv4XEykM4Uyoy-9lhjlVMA

That was nice of you, Erik, to go through all that for me.

I think I can hear some of the effect, but if you could record your sweeping flange on a snare drum roll that lasts several seconds, and also a fast roll of sweeping drums (i.e. up or down all the toms, no cymbals) I could make a better judgment.

In the Styx song, the effect is so dramatic, it seems like the drums are flying through the air.  I suppose perfect use of panning and volume control might have lent a hand in that as well?

But regardless, you think that's what the recording engineer did for the Styx recording back in the mid-70s?  Pretty innovative.
Toddskins
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/15 12:43:50 (permalink)
BRainbow
That sound seems like basically a flanger - mostly in the  hi frequencies.  But speaking of airgun (in the low frequencies) Addictive Drums has a sine pulse wave as one of its sound options for the "Flexi" slots.  Try mixing that in selectively with some of your kick and low tom notes for a blast of air out of your speakers.  Not too much.

Thank you for that bit of information, BRainbow.  I own AD2, but have not yet learned how to use it.  I just cracked the Manual tonight and am going to tackle it, finally.  
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/15 21:01:10 (permalink)
The free Melda MFlanger using the "Simple" preset does a nice job with drums.  Gets a spacial, whooshy effect, with some nice airy tails on cymbals.

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MFlanger

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/15 21:07:24 (permalink)
Ah, yeah I know exactly how that was done! That's the inimitable signature sound of the EVENTIDE Digital Delay
It can also effectively be accomplished using the delay section on the Eventide UltraChannel plugin.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

Euthymia
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/16 04:05:52 (permalink)
Here's a snare roll for ya:

https://www.bandlab.com/revisions/open?id=1x_YDEiZrEi_YDNxM3aKSg

At this point, I think we have a consensus, it's a stereo flange. The aforementioned MFlanger from the MeldaProduction Free Bundle (essential to have for many other reasons) would actually probably be my first choice, but Sonitus Modulator is something that we all already have.

UltraChannel would also get the job done, it's a fine plug-in, I own it myself, but you can save $250 if you try Modulator or MFlanger and one of them works.

Just call up the presets, fiddle with them, and you'll find what you want. MFlanger will even sync the sweep to the tempo of your song.

As for the tom roll, that might be a combination of things in addition to the flanger, including some good ol' panning. But start with a stereo flanger, and tweak it so that the stereo movement is in time to where you want the center to be.

-Erik
Toddskins
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/16 04:35:45 (permalink)
Thanks all for your responses.  And again, Erik, for taking the time to do the snare roll example for me.

Much appreciated!
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/16 06:03:02 (permalink)
The earliest known instance of flanged drums can be heard here at 1:04, 2:02 and 2:19:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ViwvgtvbA

The effect was achieved using two copies of a tape running at slightly varying speeds.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
Euthymia
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/16 12:10:35 (permalink)
Toddskins
Thanks all for your responses.  And again, Erik, for taking the time to do the snare roll example for me.

Much appreciated!

I'm happy to finally be able to answer an actual Cakewalk question on the forum. It's only taken me 9 months to feel confident enough! I don't pay enough attention to those Sonitus FX, I guess because I came to Cakewalk from another DAW and already had a quiver of favorite basic plug-ins mostly in the form of the Melda Free Bundle.

I also wanted to see if I could keep it all inside the Cakewalk/BL "ecosystem," using the Export Module and BandLab Assistant to upload it, and it cut out a lot of clicks, it's dead simple for "here, check this out" stuff like this.

Of course I want to hear what you come up with if you care to share it later.

-Erik
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/16 12:44:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Steev 2018/12/18 14:49:29
The best tape flange effect I have ever heard/seen demonstrated in a DAW was in Craig Anderton's video SONAR X1 Advanced Workshop: The Next Level. I do not believe the video is available but Craig updated the process to use Aux tracks and included a description of it in his "The Second Big Book of SONAR Tips." I checked and Craig's "The Huge Book of Cakewalk By BandLab Tips" still contains the chapter. The pdf is on sale for $20 and contains a lot of useful tips like this one.

With permission of the author here is...

The Gourmet Flanger

I’m always looking for ways to get the “tape flanger” sound of “through-zero flanging” without tape.
The differentiating aspect of through-zero flanging is that when the delayed and straight signals are
out of phase and at the same delay time, they cancel to create a split-second of silence. Although the
Sonitus Modulator offers a Tape option that approximates this sound, you don’t have control over how
the Tape option works—with real flanging, tape motion was always somewhat variable; more often
than not, the tape would sort of stagger around the through-zero point. So can we get an even more
realistic tape flanging sound with SONAR? Of course we can!

The setup is a little complex, because we need to take the audio we want to flange and send it to two
buses, or the same Patch Point in two Aux Tracks (as in the screen shot below). Note that with Aux
Tracks, Input Echo needs to be enabled. Each Aux Track has a Sonitus Modulator effect, with one set
for a constant 0.1 ms delay (labelled as the “Reference” track, which is also set out of phase), while
the other “Flanger” track is set to sweep so it goes up to a lesser amount of delay than the zero-
crossing point (in this case, 0.01 ms). Therefore, the signal cancels once when it sweeps up through
the 0.1 ms delay point, and again when it sweeps back down through the 0.1 ms delay point. You want
the interval between these two times to be fairly short; however you can lengthen this by increasing
the Reference track’s delay parameter.

Set the Mix controls to 100% delayed signal for the maximum effect. The Flanger track’s Depth control
determines how low the flanger goes. 3-5 ms seems about right, but feel free to increase this for a
wider-range effect that gets more into the chorus/delay range. Also, try different LFO waveforms. My
favorites are the Triangle and Peak / Dip waveforms.
Turning off the Phase button on the Reference track produces a different timbre that’s also useful, but
the signals don’t cancel at the through-zero point, so they create a volume increase. In that case you
might want to lengthen the Flanger track’s Delay parameter to avoid the through-zero point. I prefer
the out-of-phase sound because it sounds more like “classic” flanging to me, but at least you have
options. You can also experiment with increasing the amount of feedback; just remember to keep the
levels identical.
Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/18 15:11:55 (permalink)
I LOVE the Sonitus FX bundle and found it to be one of the best box of tools added to Cakewalk of all times As is the TTS 1. Direct X based plugins may look a tad cheap and silly, but they can deliver real ear candy results.
 I've noticed a lot of people have discounted Sonitus as toys due to the not so exciting looking run of the mill Windows dialog box DX interfaces, but they are a perfect example of the old phrase "Don't judge a Book by it's Cover."
 Look under the hood and you'll find some real useful goodness to the likes of DBX compression and Neve EQ presets just to name a few, and CRAZY powerful arsenal of time based FX.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

chris.r
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/18 17:48:21 (permalink)
Guys, don't forget to crush your final result with a bitcrusher/filter cut for that ultimate biteness (especially in the hights)! The videos posted in the OP both were 240p :)
Toddskins
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/18 22:10:52 (permalink)
chris.r
Guys, don't forget to crush your final result with a bitcrusher/filter cut for that ultimate biteness (especially in the hights)! The videos posted in the OP both were 240p :)

What is a bit crusher?  Is this post intended for me?  I don't understand this post at all.  :(
chris.r
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/19 00:38:14 (permalink)
Toddskins
What is a bit crusher?  Is this post intended for me?  I don't understand this post at all.  :(

Hi Toddskins, bitcrusher is an effect used to downgrade the quality of audio. Sorry I've put more confusion into your topic, my post was somewhat half-humorous. The youtube clips you posted are very low quality of 240p which, I believe, additionally enhances the effect of flanger (or phaser) on the drums. Hence my suggestion to try out bitcrusher on top of it :)
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/20 20:47:37 (permalink)
Great thread - THANKS Mr Cook, for posting the Anderton example, and thanks to all who helped flesh out this topic for the original poster - I LOVE the way folks here help each other. :)

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Toddskins
Re: How did the recording engineer achieve this effect on the drums? 2018/12/21 12:58:19 (permalink)
robert_e_bone
Great thread - THANKS Mr Cook, for posting the Anderton example, and thanks to all who helped flesh out this topic for the original poster - I LOVE the way folks here help each other. :)

Bob Bone

No kidding, Bob.  And just to show you the difference in quality, I posted the same question on Gearslutz and after a few days there had been 225 views and not a single response.  And so I posted a 2nd time over there and let everyone know how great the Cakewalk forum is.  Here, I had several informative answers within hours of the post! 

Read it here, if interested:  https://www.gearslutz.com...make-effect-drums.html
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1