Helpful ReplyFeature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018]

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 26
Author
bplabs
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/02 19:50:48 (permalink)
Customizable PRV for working with Key-Switched [Articulations] Instruments

Psychobillybob
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 882
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/03 17:26:33 (permalink)
There is a serious memory leak in your version...first of all Bandlab assistant ALWAYS starts at least three instances in the task manager...if I close them one by one not much happens until I get to ONLY two left (often there are four instances on starting the program)...

This "feature" leads to Cakewalk.exe "ghosting" meaning it shows up in task manager but does not open the gui or do anything else...when I close Cakewalk.exe in task manager it REFUSES to close...this is known as a memory leak and even if I exit explorer and restart explorer Cakewalk.exe is present doing nothing but eating up 12% of my memory (16gigs)...

I would love to Love Sonar...I have been using it since it Cakewalk came on floppys...but right now my Splat install and my Cakewalk by Bandlab install are absolutely worthless...I do sound design for a living...and I am seriously considering taking a week to relearn logic and ditching the more than 15 years and thousands of dollars I have spent here.

I'm using SOnar Platinium on a 6 core Lynx Audio machine and a ton of vintage pre-amps/eq's/comps I build for fun and sometimes money, REDD.47/API/Neve I also use the UAD stuff, and also use a Macbook Logic 9 through Apogee...
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/03 18:58:43 (permalink)
Psychobillybob
There is a serious memory leak in your version...first of all Bandlab assistant ALWAYS starts at least three instances in the task manager...if I close them one by one not much happens until I get to ONLY two left (often there are four instances on starting the program)...

This "feature" leads to Cakewalk.exe "ghosting" meaning it shows up in task manager but does not open the gui or do anything else...when I close Cakewalk.exe in task manager it REFUSES to close...this is known as a memory leak and even if I exit explorer and restart explorer Cakewalk.exe is present doing nothing but eating up 12% of my memory (16gigs)...

I would love to Love Sonar...I have been using it since it Cakewalk came on floppys...but right now my Splat install and my Cakewalk by Bandlab install are absolutely worthless...I do sound design for a living...and I am seriously considering taking a week to relearn logic and ditching the more than 15 years and thousands of dollars I have spent here.

Three processes named Cakewalk does not equate to three instances. It's just three separate processes.

Exiting Cakewalk in the normal way, closes down the child processes it created and any memory they were using.

Abnormally forcing a shutdown of one process that may be responsible for shutting down the others is not a memory leak.

Unless Cakewalk is eating up increasing amount memory sitting there idle, then it's not leaking memory.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/03 19:18:23 (permalink)
From the description provided BandLab Assistant appears to be working correctly. To add to the previous post, BandLab Assistant does not have to run all the time. Killing parts of the BandLab process in the task manager is not a good idea. BandLab has an option to shut on the menu launched by the gear in the upper left of the UI. This menu also has an option to prevent BandLab from launching automatically at startup. Use these to control BA instead of the the task manager.
Psychobillybob
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/03 21:44:59 (permalink)
msmcleod

Three processes named Cakewalk does not equate to three instances. It's just three separate processes.

Exiting Cakewalk in the normal way, closes down the child processes it created and any memory they were using.

Abnormally forcing a shutdown of one process that may be responsible for shutting down the others is not a memory leak.

Unless Cakewalk is eating up increasing amount memory sitting there idle, then it's not leaking memory.

First of all, it is three processes of Bandlab assistant...

Secondly, Cakewalk.exe does the typical "continuous load splash screen" nonsense about 75% of the time I load it...this is running it from Start menu, running it from folder, running it from shortcut, running it with elevated privilege...pretty much 3 out of four times I go to load SonarSplat/or Cakewalk by Bandlab I get the splash screen (smaller box that indicates it is loading) and it friggin HANGS there until I come back 30 minutes latter and kill it in task manager.

It consumes my display screen space and you cannot minimize it or even see any other program since it maintains screen priority...

Third I know its a memory leak because I have loaded it in debug mode into VS...besides the fact that whe I end "Cakewalk.exe" in taskmanager
IT DOES NOT END AND CONTINUES REGARDLESS OF RELOADING EXPLORER/ETC...

Fourth:When in this state of perpetual existence inside of task manager it IS USING 12% of available memory in spite of no splash screen, no program actually doing anything at all...just a "Cakewalk.exe" task with no corresponding splash/program running.

So yeah memory leak...

I've had this DAW for 5 years it has run fine and I am updated on ALL Microsoft drivers/etc...Win 7 64 bit.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I am not a novice and have been using this software for years...since the company folded it has been crap, no real support, no real help...I get it, we're lucky they even released a version at all, but I have paid for versions that has gone south since the company went belly up.

I'm using SOnar Platinium on a 6 core Lynx Audio machine and a ton of vintage pre-amps/eq's/comps I build for fun and sometimes money, REDD.47/API/Neve I also use the UAD stuff, and also use a Macbook Logic 9 through Apogee...
KPerry
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3120
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/03 22:00:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Psychobillybob 2018/12/03 22:15:22
Bandlab Assistant has 3 processes because of the framework it is built in: each tab is a separate process (cf. Chrome).  The hanging SONAR/CbB splash screen is almost certainly a separate issue: not blaming your system per se, but it's not a common issue or we'd have heard more about it here...  I assume you've done all the usual like rename aud.ini, open in safe mode (hold shift) etc?

Windows 7 x64 SP1
SONAR x86/x64

Intel Q6600/8GB
MOTU UltraliteMk3 (USB/ASIO)
Edirol PCR300
Psychobillybob
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/03 22:20:07 (permalink)
Yes, I've spent more time trying to open Splat/BLCake than I care to admit...backed up and changed, uninstalled, re-installed...just about the time I get it to run the midi disappears...I miss the old days.

Thanks for your response...the only thing I have not done is a full uninstall and registry clean out...thats next but I need to make sure all my credentials/authorizations are intact...UAD/vsts/Softube/Kontakt re-authorizations usually takes an entire day to get through.

I went so far as to buy a new SSD replacement hard-drive (bigger than the last one) to mirror everything before I start.

You can appreciate my reluctance to get to "handsy" with this...it will be all or nothing by the end of it.

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/04 11:29:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Psychobillybob 2018/12/05 10:01:46
KPerry
Bandlab Assistant has 3 processes because of the framework it is built in: each tab is a separate process (cf. Chrome). 

seems a bit overkill for such a small utility app

just a sec

Psychobillybob
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/05 10:03:27 (permalink)
pwalpwal
KPerry
Bandlab Assistant has 3 processes because of the framework it is built in: each tab is a separate process (cf. Chrome). 

seems a bit overkill for such a small utility app

Lazy coding...rush to market, don't really dev anything just cobble together some crap in Visual Basic and slap it on a web page.

Hard to take this program serious anymore.

fresh101
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 772
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/05 16:26:42 (permalink)
Feature request= Plugin menu sub folder/categories.

for instance, inside your synth folder you could make your own folders for your analog, wavetable, FM, subtractive synths, etc.
Or similarly for EQ types, and the like.
kc23
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/06 20:36:24 (permalink)
fresh101
Feature request= Plugin menu sub folder/categories.

for instance, inside your synth folder you could make your own folders for your analog, wavetable, FM, subtractive synths, etc.
Or similarly for EQ types, and the like.

Go to Plugin manager and setup your folders for plugins and softsynths however you like, including folders within folders.

Cakewalk is one of the few daws that let you customize your plugins folder however you like. And the feature has been there for a while, at least since 2011.
astaub
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/08 16:43:15 (permalink)
"You can appreciate my reluctance to get to "handsy" with this...it will be all or nothing by the end of it."

And the earth is still turning.

The BandLab assistant crashed yesterday while updating in the background. He did not want to work anymore. After that I installed it manually. Now he works again as version 4.0.0

We are surfing on a tsunami called Internet, on a thin board that can break anytime - a little more positive thinking, please!

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum (Lifetime), Cakewalk by BandLab (Beta), Steinberg UR28M, Windows 8.1 , Notion 6 (Presonus), Dorico 1.2x (Steinberg), Cubase 9.5.x Pro. , Studio One 3.5x (Presonus),  WaveLab Pro 9.5.x (Steinberg) Halion 6.x 
martins guit
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 241
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/10 15:21:15 (permalink)
hello cakelab my request is about the abilty to save buss-template (like track-template)
thanks martin

apologize for my english

martin

CAKEWALK BY BANDLAB
windows 10 x64bit,i7-6700,12G-ram-DDR-4
roland-quad capture,tascam us122l,
NTK Rode mic,Apex 160 mic,JBL & JVC speakers
garethcoker
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/11 18:24:29 (permalink)
I have a request. For large projects, the save feature takes an incredible amount of time.

Anyway to implement background saving? Or at least a way to save that doesn't result in 10 seconds of waiting for the progress bar to complete?
Psychobillybob
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/12 06:22:47 (permalink)
astaub
"You can appreciate my reluctance to get to "handsy" with this...it will be all or nothing by the end of it."

And the earth is still turning.

The BandLab assistant crashed yesterday while updating in the background. He did not want to work anymore. After that I installed it manually. Now he works again as version 4.0.0

We are surfing on a tsunami called Internet, on a thin board that can break anytime - a little more positive thinking, please!

Well...if you had read any of my previous posts you would see I am no novice to Cakewalks dive into destruction...

$60.00 Reaper.
In one week I am up and running with all my paid for Cakewalk plug-ins and synths...midi works everything works has not crashed even once, opens every-time I click on it.
I'm done here...Bandlab is a wonderful toy, but it will NEVER find use in a serious studio environment if it acts the way it did with me.
Peace out enjoy the ride.

petemus
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/12 07:50:53 (permalink)
Psychobillybob
Third I know its a memory leak because I have loaded it in debug mode into VS...besides the fact that whe I end "Cakewalk.exe" in taskmanager
IT DOES NOT END AND CONTINUES REGARDLESS OF RELOADING EXPLORER/ETC...

Maybe start Cakewalk.exe with Visual Studio debugger (or WinDbg) and when it hangs, check where its threads are at? You can also use Process Explorer from Sysinternals (a Micro$oft site) to see the thread stacks when the process gets stuck.

You should be able to see in which modules the threads are doing something, and even without actual debug info (PDB files) you can see some sort of a call stack, at least the DLLs the code execution takes place. Might be related to opening devices etc., since no plugins are loaded during startup. I think you can even take a debug dump of the hang-up situation and send it to Bakers...

A memory leak usually refers to a process which allocates memory or other resources but fails to free them, thus swelling up over time. Here, I think, the process remains stuck on something after having ditched the UI, but doesn't keep on eating up more memory. Well, it is sort of a memory leak in the sense that the hanging process takes up system resources that are no longer of any actual use for other processes.

qzik
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/12 13:32:00 (permalink)
Yeah man agree with you, the should be on right and it should have Gain with Tab 1. Old gain tab 2. Should just gain with a slider and the db section where u will double click and enter the desired +/- gain eg i want 2db or -3db ect or just push a slider up/down or left/or right
qzik
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/12 13:32:01 (permalink)
Yeah man agree with you, the should be on right and it should have Gain with Tab 1. Old gain tab 2. Should just gain with a slider and the db section where u will double click and enter the desired +/- gain eg i want 2db or -3db ect or just push a slider up/down or left/or right
pwalpwal
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/12 13:36:22 (permalink)
if you can't kill the sonar process, it's usually because it can't (for whatever reason) release the audio driver... if the interface is external, just power-cycle it, causing windows and then sonar to drop the driver... if it's an internal card you can disable/re-enable it in control panel for the same result... this workaround has been around for yonks... having said that, sonar/cwb does seem to have more trouble in this area than other hosts (imo/ymmv, prolly depends on the particular driver) good luck!

just a sec

pwalpwal
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/12 13:37:58 (permalink)
(hmm, editing that post removed all the line-breaks)

just a sec

Psychobillybob
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/13 00:34:16 (permalink)
pwalpwal
if you can't kill the sonar process, it's usually because it can't (for whatever reason) release the audio driver... if the interface is external, just power-cycle it, causing windows and then sonar to drop the driver... if it's an internal card you can disable/re-enable it in control panel for the same result... this workaround has been around for yonks... having said that, sonar/cwb does seem to have more trouble in this area than other hosts (imo/ymmv, prolly depends on the particular driver) good luck!

Thanks for the input, there was a time when Cakewalk and Sonar were really worth working in, the user base and forums were incredibly helpful with tons of very quality members, as I see tyhe current model, it is driven to promote "other" things, Bandlab and whatever else they are selling...

I just dished out $199 of AATranslaor so I can export all my projects in OMF and RPP formats so I can change DAW software...its a shame because I have spent thousands of dollars on Cakewalk over the years, constantly upgrading from since it came out on floppys, Dimension Pro/etc...

I have owned several studios over the years and currently do sound design for theater, Sonar is no longer dependable nor user friendly...I just spent an hour opening up 1 project so I could export it...I had to restart explorer/ shut down Cakewalk.exe/Sonar/Bandlab at least 6 times before I could even open a file...

I have a pile of useless Sonar discs now.

You either get wisdom or money.

Wisdom see's the writing on the wall here.

jbagge
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/13 02:56:12 (permalink)

.... or you could just say "Thank you" for the free software and leave it at that.

micv
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 285
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/14 00:39:45 (permalink)
New request for an old feature:  Bring back the good old Clip's gain envelope.  The 'take lane' gain envelop is finicky and I've never have the need to have gain envelope for the entire lane.
cyberzip
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 613
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/15 03:03:02 (permalink)
micv
New request for an old feature:  Bring back the good old Clip's gain envelope.  The 'take lane' gain envelop is finicky and I've never have the need to have gain envelope for the entire lane.

What, are clip gain envelopes not available in CbB? (I'm still on the last SPlat...)
micv
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 285
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/18 22:35:29 (permalink)
cyberzip
micv

What, are clip gain envelopes not available in CbB? (I'm still on the last SPlat...)

Clip Gain env works the same way in CbB as in SPlat.  I like the way it was before the Take Lanes concept where each clip is its own object.  You can move it around and the envelops stayed with the clip. 
There are so many issues with Take Lanes, for example:
You cannot edit an envelop after you move it to another lane or location.  The 'dot' you draw on the env also somehow got drawn (randomly) at some other envelop if you select a timeframe, when create a gain env, it creates gain env for all the clips in that lane, etc.
burgerproduction
  • Total Posts : 209
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/19 09:56:35 (permalink)
I was wondering if Cakewalk/Bandlab are going to develop their own ASIO drivers in the future.
I've had hit and miss experiences with ASIO4ALL and various others. I'd love to see A Sonar version which works seamlessly, so that we can leave behind the WASAPI drivers.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum Lifetimer, Windows 10, HP Laptop, CPU i5, RAM 8GB. Audio interface: Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface with moded drivers. Microphones: Audio-Technica, M-Audio, Behringer, AKG. Pianos: Casio digital, Yamaha B1 upright.  Guitars: Dobro, Tanglewood, Danelectro, Fender. Hats: Fez
Check out my music :
https://53mph.bandcamp.com/album/like-water-to-the-sand

Jon Sasor [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 284
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/19 13:00:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby burgerproduction 2018/12/19 15:41:34
burgerproduction
I was wondering if Cakewalk/Bandlab are going to develop their own ASIO drivers in the future.
I've had hit and miss experiences with ASIO4ALL and various others. I'd love to see A Sonar version which works seamlessly, so that we can leave behind the WASAPI drivers.

ASIO drivers are hardware specific. ASIO4ALL is simply a wrapper for the stock WDM drivers from Windows. You'll see the best performance using an audio interface with its own dedicated ASIO drivers.

Jonathan Sasor
Quality Assurance Engineer 
BandLab
burgerproduction
  • Total Posts : 209
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/19 15:41:28 (permalink)
Jon Sasor [Cakewalk]

ASIO drivers are hardware specific. ASIO4ALL is simply a wrapper for the stock WDM drivers from Windows. You'll see the best performance using an audio interface with its own dedicated ASIO drivers.

The reason I mention this is because, while using the WASAPI drivers, I've been getting unaligned recordings in Cakewalk/Bandlab. While monitering, I have no delay, but on playback I find I need to nudge all the files [left 3] to align them correctly. I don't get this when using ASIO drivers. The only solution I've found is to use Magix Low Latency ASIO drivers (also a wrapper, I think) with an AT2020 USB+ microphone, which I've found to be more stable than ASIO4ALL.  
When working with USB keyboard inputs, I don't get this problem with the WASAPI drivers; only with the AT2020 mic.
Since Magix had their own drivers, I thought maybe Cakewalk/Bandlab might.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum Lifetimer, Windows 10, HP Laptop, CPU i5, RAM 8GB. Audio interface: Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface with moded drivers. Microphones: Audio-Technica, M-Audio, Behringer, AKG. Pianos: Casio digital, Yamaha B1 upright.  Guitars: Dobro, Tanglewood, Danelectro, Fender. Hats: Fez
Check out my music :
https://53mph.bandcamp.com/album/like-water-to-the-sand

KPerry
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3120
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/19 16:10:37 (permalink)
Ironically, the Magix Low Latency ASIO driver is a rebreand of ASIO4All...

Windows 7 x64 SP1
SONAR x86/x64

Intel Q6600/8GB
MOTU UltraliteMk3 (USB/ASIO)
Edirol PCR300
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/12/19 16:27:40 (permalink)
burgerproduction
while using the WASAPI drivers, I've been getting unaligned recordings in Cakewalk/Bandlab. While monitering, I have no delay, but on playback I find I need to nudge all the files [left 3] to align them correctly.

Try setting a manual offset in the Record Latency Adjustment section of preferences.
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 26
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1