AAS Lounge Lizard AP4 or Neo Soul Keys?

Author
cecelius2
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1494
2018/12/22 04:29:34 (permalink)

AAS Lounge Lizard AP4 or Neo Soul Keys?

Which one do you recommend?

My upgrade price for Lounge Lizard is $49, which is also the same sale price as Neo Soul Keys desktop version.
Lounge Lizard is modeled, whereas Neo Soul Keys is Sample Based.
Lounge Lizard has a smaller disk size (63mg) whereas Neo Soul Keys takes up 21GB
Lounge Lizard seems a little brighter, whereas Neo Soul Keys seems a little mellower/darker/ and geared for Neo Soul vibe (correct me if I am wrong).
I suspect Lounge Lizard has less of a hit on the CPU, and I glean from the videos of Neo Soul Keys that it can be demanding on the CPU (correct me if I am wrong).

Both sound great, both have multiple Rhodes and Wurlys, plus some other Eps.

FYI- I already own the full version of Overloud's VKFX suite; so Neo Souls inclusion of VKFX will not factor into the choice.

I have NI's Scarbee, Air's Velvet, Arturia's Stage 73 and Wurly, XLN Audio's version, GSI's Mr Ray and Mr Tramp as well as the Cakewalk version of Lounge Lizard Session.

I have the $49 to spend and will get either Lounge Lizard Ep4 or Neo Soul Keys.

So, which would you get, why?

Thanks for the help
C2
post edited by cecelius2 - 2018/12/24 00:54:09

12 Replies Related Threads

Fleer
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8715
    Re: AAS Lounge Lizard AP4 or Neo Soul Keys? 2018/12/22 04:56:16 (permalink)
    Well, if you’re looking for the playability of a modeled version, also have a look at Pianoteq’s Electric Pianos.
    Lounge Lizard is really good, but we may be looking at an update/upgrade in the months to come, as version 4 has been out for quite a while. But again, it’s really good, very playable, with a primarily clean sound.
    Neo Soul Keys Studio has an incredible amount of keyboards included, but the best of them are full of grit and dirt. There’s a nice endorsement reference from George Duke that says it all. That’s what makes them stand out. It’s standalone (like Lounge Lizard). Check those vids on both, they’ll show you how they differ. Finally, if you have an iPad, you can also get Neo Soul Keys Studio for that tablet at a lower price. Hope this helps.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
    Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: AAS Lounge Lizard AP4 or Neo Soul Keys? 2018/12/22 05:13:51 (permalink)

musichoo
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 811
    Re: AAS Lounge Lizard AP4 or Neo Soul Keys? 2018/12/22 07:25:16 (permalink)
    I have LL4 and it is my go to ep. Quick to load, small foot print and very playable. I believe you can get a demo version to try out.

Sonar Platinum. Win7 64bit. i7 CPU 4770. 14 Gig RAM. Roland A500Pro controller keyboard. Korg Krome 88. M-audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard, Focusrite 18i8, Roland UA25EX. Ivory II, True Piano, Addictive Keys, Synthmaster, Harmor, Zeta +2, Lounge Lizard 4, Geist, Miroslav 2, Sample Tank 3. Kaiser grand piano. Shure KSM137 x2. Wave's Renaissance and Gold. Breeze. ST3. Pianoteq 5. AD2.Aether Reverb, Dune2 , Reason 10 and Komplete 10 Ultimate, Syntronik, O8N2 adv, Studio one 3.5 Pro.

https://etherealpiano.bandcamp.com/
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: AAS Lounge Lizard AP4 or Neo Soul Keys? 2018/12/22 09:28:20 (permalink)
    My current favorites are the ones from Waves, particularly the Rhodes. Watch out for $29 deals.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: AAS Lounge Lizard AP4 or Neo Soul Keys? 2018/12/22 14:46:49 (permalink)
    I have Lounge Lizard and Addictive Keys, both I am happy enough with. If I was to venture further, Soniccouture has some interesting offerings. They are often overlooked, I guess because of the price, but at least they re Kontact Player compatle

kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: AAS Lounge Lizard AP4 or Neo Soul Keys? 2018/12/22 15:19:25 (permalink)
    musichoo
    I have LL4 and it is my go to ep. Quick to load, small foot print and very playable. I believe you can get a demo version to try out.

Was tempted too but I don't want GBs of EP.   We neglect ones included in softsynths and also in Komplete.  Plus AAS moves you towards their everything bundle.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    LAGinz25
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 142
    Re: AAS Lounge Lizard AP4 or Neo Soul Keys? 2018/12/22 16:43:38 (permalink)
    Kind of agree with Fleer’s take. Sometimes , ironically, I think, the Lizard sounds too good ie with an ever so slight sheen and without some of the random imperfections that those instruments have in real life —but all in a VERY addictive way. Both are great to the extent I’ve lost any GAS for other EPs.
    Soundwise
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1419
    Re: AAS Lounge Lizard AP4 or Neo Soul Keys? 2018/12/22 20:01:39 (permalink)
    I think Neo Soul is the best for EPs among the sampled instruments and Pianoteq is the best among modeled. IMO.
    I use AAS instruments when I need to develop musical ideas without a huge memory footprint and without having to wait for a project to load all samples and articulations. And they are easy on CPU too.

Anderton
    We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
    YouTube
    BandLab
    cecelius2
    Re: AAS Lounge Lizard AP4 or Neo Soul Keys? 2018/12/24 00:52:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the help.  All of your replies above have been helpful.

I am leaning more toward Neo Soul Keys right now and looking at other threads on the Cakewalk site when Neo Soul Keys v4 was released made it clear that many here have recommended it in the past.  I also just played through my collection of EPs and I do not have an EP that has the vibe of Neo Soul Keys.  For $49 it will be a good addition to the collection.  Also, since it was noted above that AAS's EP-4 "may" be up for an upgrade in the not to distant future, I will wait on it.  EP-4 also sounds so "clean" compared to Neo Soul Keys and I am right now looking more for that Neo Soul vibe.  My concerns with Neo Soul Keys were the CPU hit, the 21GB disk size and whether or not it would sit well in a mix.  I can always layer in some of the Lounge Lizard Cakewalk Session version that I already have to brighten it up.

For $49 Neo Soul Keys just seems like a no-brainer for me right now.

Again, I do appreciate all the very helpful info and advice.

C2  

Fleer
    Re: AAS Lounge Lizard AP4 or Neo Soul Keys? 2018/12/24 03:52:41 (permalink)
    If I remember well, downloading NSK took less than 21 gig. On the other hand, don’t take my word for it that LL4 is up for an update, I was just guessing due to the time it’s been out. As for NSK, its earlier version was Kontakt (Player), while NSK 4 was UVI. The latest (NSK Studio) has its own engine. By the way, I also got Overloud VKFX before I got NSK Studio. The included VKFX version is different, at least as far as its looks are concerned, but also some effects.

cecelius2
    Re: AAS Lounge Lizard AP4 or Neo Soul Keys? 2018/12/24 06:30:44 (permalink)
    Fleer
    If I remember well, downloading NSK took less than 21 gig. On the other hand, don’t take my word for it that LL4 is up for an update, I was just guessing due to the time it’s been out. As for NSK, its earlier version was Kontakt (Player), while NSK 4 was UVI. The latest (NSK Studio) has its own engine. By the way, I also got Overloud VKFX before I got NSK Studio. The included VKFX version is different, at least as far as its looks are concerned, but also some effects.

I just downloaded and it is 19.4GB. 
    Don't worry about the LL4/AP4 possible update--if it does happen it will be worth a look, but I also will look into Pianoteq EP for a modelled version, but I did not have the money for it yet (it cost $120+).  Something for a future wish list.

Right now I am just going through some of the presets for Neo Soul Keys.  I am pleased that it does have the grit/grind/tube style distortion built in.  It will be a nice addition and it does provide something that the other EPs I have do not have--that dirt.  It is fun to play.

Thanks again for your help.
    C2

Fleer
    Re: AAS Lounge Lizard AP4 or Neo Soul Keys? 2018/12/24 14:10:32 (permalink)
    You’re welcome, cecelius2. Also look into the many different keyboards Jamal added, like his famous and beloved Dyno.
    NSK is just wonderful, indeed. If the great George Duke loved using it, who are we ;)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1