Stutter Editor by iZotope

Author
Agentcalm
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 257
2018/12/31 18:37:20 (permalink)

Stutter Editor by iZotope

Happy New Year guys
Hey anyone ever had this kind of issue? I got a copy of BreakTweak and Stutter editor from iZotope.  They had a fantastic sale and the two items came bundled.   Stutter however has me pulling my hair out.  
It's supposed to work like this.  You go to the plug ins properties and make sure "configure as a synth" is checked. Did that.
You now insert into an audio like a normal plug in.   So far so good.
You now insert an empty midi track and on its Output drop down list you should see Stutter.    Im not.
I have one or two synths plus Session Drummer on this project and they are all visible in the drop down list.
Stutter open fine when i click on it just like any plug in would.
On the midi track, when i hit my keyboard i can see the meter going up and down so the input (which is set to OMNI) appears to be ok.      But the midi track is not triggering the Stutter plug in on the audio track.   I've hear of people having these kinds of issues with vocoders etc where the audio track needs to be triggered by a midi track.   
Im using Sonar X3 and Ive also tried this on Bandlab and neither are working.   Both are showing the same symtoms in that the mid output list is not showing Stutter.    Im not sure if iZotope can help but Ive mailed them anyway.  Im thinking this is a Sonar problem and not theirs.    Any ideas at all guys?   Many thanks. 

Southern kin y'all 

12 Replies Related Threads

paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re: Stutter Editor by iZotope 2018/12/31 18:49:23 (permalink)
    It works ok in Platinum for me.

I vaguely remember having to tweak something, but I can't remember what. Not overly helpful I know, but just thought that I'd let you know that it does actually work in Sonar, so it's just a question of setting it up properly.
    msorrels
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1025
    Re: Stutter Editor by iZotope 2018/12/31 18:56:49 (permalink)
    X3 may be different (don't remember how it worked and don't really care) but in SONAR Platinum/CbB you need to enable the MIDI input option after you add the FX plug to the audio track.

-Matt

msorrels
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1025
    Re: Stutter Editor by iZotope 2018/12/31 18:59:11 (permalink)
    Also you have to turn on the Input Echo on the MIDI track so you can play it live.  I think the VST2 version you can do the configure as a synth thing, but for the VST3 version I don't think that works, you have to do the drop down to enable the input.

-Matt

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Stutter Editor by iZotope 2018/12/31 20:17:13 (permalink)
    The "Configure as synth" option was necessary with X2 and older. The "Enable MIDI" options on the VST2/3 drop down were added for X3. The setup for stutter edit is the same for X3 and CbB. Once "Enable MIDI Input" is selected the plug-in will appear in MIDI track output drop downs.

Agentcalm
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 257
    Re: Stutter Editor by iZotope 2018/12/31 21:52:52 (permalink)
    Thanks fro the feedback guys.  Funny thing is..that "enable midi input" option is not on my screen.   Not sure why that is.   So my only option is the "configure as synth" option in the plug in properties.
    I did get it working in the end.  Im not sure if anything i did here solved the problem but instead of simply re-installing Stutter...i first deleted the DLL files and then re-installed.    I also chose the advance install otpions and de-selected everything except the 64 bit VST.    Im running Win7 64 bit so dont need the AAX files or 32 bit.
    Now I dont know if thats what fixed the problem but it is now showing as a synth and the midi track can now output to it.    And do you know what the funniest thing is?     Stutter is greatest load of **** Ive heard.  Oh well.  I guess it would work for EDM.   But theres nothing melodic about this thing.  HAHAHA.   Oh well.  but the good news is that Break Tweaker is brilliant so it was well worth the 50 bucks.      Thanks for the help guys.  Have a very happy new year.  

Southern kin y'all 
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Stutter Editor by iZotope 2018/12/31 22:44:25 (permalink)
    Enable MIDI Input is not on the properties page, it is on the VST2 and VST3 drop down in the standard header above the plug-in UI just like the image in msg#3 shows. This must be set for each instance of the plug-in.
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Stutter Editor by iZotope 2019/01/01 05:44:23 (permalink)
    Try disabling the "stutter" module, which is on by default in most of the presets. There is a lot of functionality in the plugin (and can use it less heavy-handed) besides the stutter feature. It is linked to the transport, so samples are in musical time and can be used in varying ways. Unless doing EDM, you will find most presets overzealous. The manual is worth reading for that guy.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    janchlupacek
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: Stutter Editor by iZotope 2019/01/03 07:34:22 (permalink)
    I have a similar problem with a different plugin, see my post here We can team up on this. I think the solution will help in both of our cases. I will try Stutter Edit too, I have that installed too, just has not used it yet. I guess I will have troubles like you too. Will post my experience later when I come home.

AMD Phenom X4 II 3.4GHz, 16Gb RAM, SSD system drive, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, audio NI Komplete Audio 6, MIDI M-Audio Oxygen 61 blue, Sonar Studio X1d build 534 x64, main plugins Komplete 9 (upgraded from 7), EastWest Play 4  (Symphonic Orchestra, Symphonic Choirs + VOTA, Ministry Of Rock, Goliath, Stormdrum 2 + PRO, main reverbs, QL Spaces, SC Breeze, Eventide Blackhole. The rest depends on the project.
    FCCfirstclass
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 969
    Re: Stutter Editor by iZotope 2019/01/03 14:43:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the advice on Stutter.  I also bought the combo last week, but have not had time to get into them.

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Stutter Editor by iZotope 2019/01/03 15:04:25 (permalink)
    IIRC, the manual for Stutter Edit also has a walk through on its use in various DAWs (SONAR is included) in the appendices. Pretty much the content of this thread.

Regarding the other plugin mentioned above, I would assume the steps should be similar; but when I saw use of a Simple Instrument Track it made me realize that I have never tried to use it in this fashion, and I am not sure if that would truly affect a plugin or not. I have always used these on audio tracks (not synth outputs), using the MIDI input as noted above. Once you bring another MIDI feed into the mix, you may very well need another controller, or to use the plugin in iterative steps.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Stutter Editor by iZotope 2019/01/03 16:09:10 (permalink)
    The Stutter Edit manual has not been updated in years. The instructions for SONAR work but describe a method more appropriate for X2 and older. The method described in msgs #3 & 4 work for X3 and newer. The process is the same for any effect plug-in that reads MIDI data. In summary, the steps are:
    1) add the plug-in to the FX rack of the track/bus to be affected
    2) Use the VST2/3 drop down above the plug-in UI to "Enable MIDI Input"
    3) Add a MIDI track with input set to the controller, output set to the plug-in, enable input echo

janchlupacek
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: Stutter Editor by iZotope 2019/01/04 16:28:50 (permalink)
    It worked for me and Finger too. Thanks guys.

AMD Phenom X4 II 3.4GHz, 16Gb RAM, SSD system drive, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, audio NI Komplete Audio 6, MIDI M-Audio Oxygen 61 blue, Sonar Studio X1d build 534 x64, main plugins Komplete 9 (upgraded from 7), EastWest Play 4  (Symphonic Orchestra, Symphonic Choirs + VOTA, Ministry Of Rock, Goliath, Stormdrum 2 + PRO, main reverbs, QL Spaces, SC Breeze, Eventide Blackhole. The rest depends on the project.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1