One Drive

Author
Westside Steve Simmons
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 196
2019/01/07 18:39:28 (permalink)

One Drive

Hi. So I installed cakewalk on my office computer oh, it's already on my recording computer and will probably install it on my Surface Pro. Should I set the program files Etc to OneDrive so I can use them across all three machines?
Thank you
WSS

3 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: One Drive 2019/01/07 19:49:58 (permalink)
    Hi Steve,

For small "office" files, OneDrive (and similar) is great.
    For audio projects (where you're dealing with many large files), online file storage is less practical (slow tedious).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: One Drive 2019/01/08 09:44:46 (permalink)
    I use Mega instead of OneDrive for backing up my audio files, but the principle is the same.

Be really careful that you don't try to sync your project folders directly though - instead use a backup folder.

I had a bunch of SONAR crashes that I couldn't explain, until I realised that OneDrive was trying to sync my project & audio files while SONAR was using them.

What I do now, is have a batch file that copies my project/audio files to/from a backup directory. It is this backup directory that is sync'd to the cloud. The batch files use Windows' ROBOCOPY command, which has the option to only replace newer files.

This gives me control of when I want to do my cloud backup, and when to restore from the backup.

The initial upload did take a fair bit of time, but now it takes less than a minute or so to backup after a session. That being said, my internet connection is fairly fast (80MB down/20MB up).

An additional benefit of doing this, is that I'm able to keep my "bedroom" studio PC, main studio PC and laptop all in sync. So no matter where I record, each PC gets exactly the same list of projects.

Mark McLeod
    Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re: One Drive 2019/01/09 16:50:56 (permalink)
    msmcleod
    This gives me control of when I want to do my cloud backup, and when to restore from the backup...

+1

This is the key point -- that you control the time and method of backup.

I use a commercial product, Goodsync, but any utility will do that gives you full control. For example, my cloud backup is one of six jobs that I have scheduled to back up to either an external drive or the cloud (Backup, not sync! As Mark mentioned, you don't want to sync as that can result in deleting data from the source folders in order to match up with the targets).

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1