Macrium Disc Image

Author
robbyk
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 705
2019/01/07 21:04:43 (permalink)

Macrium Disc Image

I am attempting to enter the modern age by doing the following ( My Win 10 DAW pc is new Dec 2017 and has been offline due to win updates hosing my previous DAW).

Sonar 8.5 --> Macrium Disc Image --> Upgrade win 10 to Pro --> Upgrade to Cakewalk Bandlab --> Go back online for G.A.S. and other mandatory options.

I switched to metered connection to keep updates temporarily off my back, downloaded the macrium executable and am studying how to image. Dealing with health issues has rendered this somewhat daunting mentally, so I have some basic questions in the last days of this helpful forum.

My question is this:

I see I have to create a restore disc (DVD) and then create a disc image. Is there anything I should be advised to do outside of just using the defaults in this, any special settings or boxes to check that people have found necessary? The process appears to be quite deep and capable of all kinds of things. I just want to start regular series of images for the inevitable day something goes wrong. I have never used this software before.

Thanks!

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio

23 Replies Related Threads

JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/08 00:15:04 (permalink)
    I currently use the free version of Macrium to backup (disc image) my C: partition for safety purposes.

DVD is fine as rescue media, but I prefer using a USB thumb drive.  (In the BIOS, set Removable media or USB device as your first boot option and you're good to go).

I don't advise backing up/restoring with Windows up and running.  While it's technically possible, too many things can go wrong so why risk it when it's unnecessary?  By booting off the rescue media, you are backing up or restoring using Macrium and a very basic DOS/linux O.S.  Bottom line, do it "offline" and you're much less likely to have any surprises than with Windows juggling a shadow copy of itself as it tries to back itself up.

I created my rescue media on Win 10 (backing up the same), and I don't recall choosing anything other than the default settings.  Best thing to do is try it for yourself.  If the rescue media isn't created properly, it likely won't let you backup anyway. 

If you run into any problems with the settings, post back and I'll see if I can make a screenshot of my setup.  Of course, I would be happy to answer any questions as well, though keep in mind I only do a basic "main partition backup/restore", so if you want to do anything fancier, I'm probably not the guy to ask. 

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/08 01:18:22 (permalink)
    Macrium Reflect Free is reliable and relatively easy to use.  Main points to keep in mind:

1. Image file backup to an image file archive drive (internal SATA or USB) works well when Windows is running.
    2. Restore to a system drive must be done by booting system from the recovery media (CD or USB thumb drive) with backup archive drive attached (either internal SATA or USB drive).
    3. Always create the recovery media after installing Macrium, and perform a test boot. The Macrium rescue media creation wizard will download and build the Windows PE recovery environment on your rescue media, and download any necessary drivers automatically.
    4. Make sure that you can locate any backup image files that you have created so that they are available for restore if needed.

Backup, backup, backup... 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Canopus
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 261
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/08 08:00:24 (permalink)
    I don’t have any experience of Macrium so I don’t have anything to add to the answers above (using Acronis True Image myself). However, seeing your planned installation steps and list of software I was immediately struck by what wasn’t there. You say that you will install SONAR 8.5 and then Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB), but you never mention any installation of SONAR X3 Producer in between, a product you apparently own. Is that correct?

If so, you may not know that CbB doesn’t contain many of the plug-ins that came with SONAR X3 Producer. And the recommended way of making sure those plug-ins will be available in CbB is to install SONAR X3 Producer before you install CbB.
    robbyk
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/08 17:23:21 (permalink)
    JonD & abacab

Absolutely invaluable advice, thanks so much! I am adding this info to my reference library under backups so I have a permanent record of this thread.

I do keep this machine offline and will keep it offline now until I get to Win 10 PRO. Just to set up the metered connection and get Macrium, gave windows almost enough time to download 1803. I got a notification that I should download and update immediately which I will not do...yet.

But here's what happened. My very first step after installing Macrium, was to create a rescue disc. The screen came up and said "WIM file not found, press click to build". I pressed build and got a "Failed".

Failed to generate Win PE VIM: The VIM could not be mounted.

The log entry gave two error messages.

Error 183: Cannot create a file when that file already exists

Error 50: The request is not supported

I googled the error numbers and "VIM not found" as well as searched the Macrium site. Nothing. I tried to join the forum but the free version gave me a license key which was not supported on registration. I couldn't find anything in the Knowledgebase.

But searching the help file gave this: Press CNTR and then can skip this step. The Build button has a dropdown which says Skip.

So I did that, and got the rescue media on DVD ( I have so many lying around) and then did my fist image of the C:// drive to a WD external 1 Tb HD. This way I can keep two at a time.

So I don't know if it worked or not. I do not know how to test it by booting into the rescue disc. Is it as above, set the DVD as the boot option in the BIOS?

Thanks again, I feel much better now! Just have to test the Rescue disc and hope it worked.

Best, Robby K 

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
    Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
    Studio
    robbyk
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/08 17:29:38 (permalink)
    Canopus
    I don’t have any experience of Macrium so I don’t have anything to add to the answers above (using Acronis True Image myself). However, seeing your planned installation steps and list of software I was immediately struck by what wasn’t there. You say that you will install SONAR 8.5 and then Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB), but you never mention any installation of SONAR X3 Producer in between, a product you apparently own. Is that correct?

Yes sir I didn't accurately state what I've done. I have Sonar 8.5 Producer, X1, X2, and X3 installed. X1 and X2 always freeze up on my old Win 7 machine before Win update in the Fall 2017 killed it with a BSOD which I am going to try and fix one of these days. But as a result I just stayed with 8.5 (offline) for my projects as I like it. But I do want to move on now and learn Bandlab.

I very much appreciate your helpful and accurate comment!

Best, Robby K 

Music 
    Studio
    abacab
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/09 18:28:52 (permalink)
    Just remember that image is useless until you have a working rescue disk.  You will need to adjust your boot priorities option in your BIOS to boot from a CD or thumb drive.

The rescue environment will let you locate a backup image file on an attached drive, and restore that to your intended target drive.  It's always recommended to test to make sure that you can find everything you will need, but stop short of actually proceeding with the restore.

robbyk
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/09 20:23:06 (permalink)
    abacab
    Just remember that image is useless until you have a working rescue disk.  You will need to adjust your boot priorities option in your BIOS to boot from a CD or thumb drive.

The rescue environment will let you locate a backup image file on an attached drive, and restore that to your intended target drive.  It's always recommended to test to make sure that you can find everything you will need, but stop short of actually proceeding with the restore.

Thanks abacab

Well I'm not sure I have a good rescue disk since the very first step failed to build the win PE VIM. Yet error message seems to say it is already there. So I assume I need to check it via the BIOS, which is new to me. Is there any danger to this, if I boot does it automatically restore? If it fails to boot can I get back in the BIOS to change it to boot normally?

Since I've never done this, I'm leery to screw up. All is working very well on this new pc now, I just want to be able to go online and view Groove tutorials and install a year's worth of new plugins, and I'm sure Microsoft will hose me like all my other pcs so I know I need to backup...

If it doesn't boot, I'm screwed anyhow, since I can't create one.

Best, Robby K 

Music 
    Studio
    robbyk
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/11 01:20:37 (permalink)
    Well the rescue disk did not boot into windows, so it failed. Macrium will not create a rescue image, etc for me on my pc. I'm screwed from the git go. Fireberd suggested starting over, uninstall and reinstall, etc. It's my only hope. Since I have terminal cancer, I have to try and be productive, not fighting all this techie nonsense, Microsoft, macrium...just to record. I'm about at the end of wanting to do this anymore...maybe one more try...I was looking forward to learning Bandlab with my new pc, new interface, all new...Well, what will be, will be...

Best, Robby K 

Music 
    Studio
    abacab
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/11 01:41:37 (permalink)
    robbyk

So I assume I need to check it via the BIOS, which is new to me. Is there any danger to this, if I boot does it automatically restore? If it fails to boot can I get back in the BIOS to change it to boot normally?

Setting the boot priority in the BIOS doesn't remove your normal boot, it just allows a CD/DVD or thumb drive to override the normal boot if you have one inserted.  Your normal C: drive will still boot if healthy if you do not have another boot media inserted.

You do have to tell you BIOS to look for these alternate rescue media, otherwise all it can detect by default is your C: drive boot sector.  If that is not healthy, you will be unable to boot Windows.

The recovery media will never automatically restore your drive.  You will still have to step through prompts to make that happen, as clearly outlined in the user guide.  The test boot is just to ensure that you can successfully boot to the live WinPE recovery environment, which is just a graphical utility based on a cut down version of Windows, so that you can restore a full Windows image to your hard drive if desired.

abacab
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/11 01:52:33 (permalink)
    robbyk

Well the rescue disk did not boot into windows, so it failed. Macrium will not create a rescue image, etc for me on my pc. 

The Macrium rescue disk is not intended to boot directly into Windows. It uses a cut down version of Windows as a graphical utility to allow you to select a previously created Windows image and restore that to your hard drive.

So multiple steps are required to restore an image.

1. Have a Macrium image file on a backup drive that was created while Windows was in a known working state.
    2. Boot the system from the rescue disk (that loads the rescue environment and gives you access to your drives).
    3. Restore the good image file to your hard drive while running from the rescue disk.  The restore utility reads the image file from your image backup disk (not the rescue disk), and writes it to the target drive (your hard drive that you want to fix).

robbyk
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/11 02:16:32 (permalink)
    OK fireberd's advice worked! Halleluiah! I reinstalled and created a boot drive, this time connected. It built or mounted the VIM (unlike the first time) and then successfully created the disk (DVD) image!

I tried then to test boot, but it went right back into windows. I'm sure it worked though so I must be doing something wrong.

On my Dell, there apparently is no going into "anything" at startup via F8 or whatever. Apparently, you have to be in windows, go to Settings / Recovery / Advanced Startup. Then it restarts and you select CD / DVD. I did that and it went right into win 10 as normal.

I was not connected cause Microsoft keeps prompting me to install the 1803, nor did I have my disc image external drive connected.

Was either necessary? abacab, is that what you are saying, have the disc image (external HD)?

However, this is a BIG step forward for me!!!

Best, Robby K 

Music 
    Studio
    abacab
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/12 01:38:11 (permalink)
    robbyk
    OK fireberd's advice worked! Halleluiah! I reinstalled and created a boot drive, this time connected. It built or mounted the VIM (unlike the first time) and then successfully created the disk (DVD) image!

That is not your image, that is just a bootable WinPE OS, for the recovery environment.

I tried then to test boot, but it went right back into windows. I'm sure it worked though so I must be doing something wrong.

You need to tell your Dell BIOS to boot from DVD prior to looking at the hard drive for a Windows boot.  I do not have a current Dell computer, so I am unable to provide a step by step procedure for that.  Suggest the Dell forums or tech support for that part.  Your BIOS will continue to load the Windows OS from the hard drive until you override that.

On my Dell, there apparently is no going into "anything" at startup via F8 or whatever. Apparently, you have to be in windows, go to Settings / Recovery / Advanced Startup. Then it restarts and you select CD / DVD. I did that and it went right into win 10 as normal.

Was either necessary? abacab, is that what you are saying, have the disc image (external HD)?

You need to boot from the bootable rescue disk (which does NOT contain your image), then tell it to restore a good image from your external HD to your internal HD.

haydn12
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/12 02:14:40 (permalink)
    You can hit the F12 key when starting up your computer to pick which device you want to boot from. 

Jim
    robbyk
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/12 18:25:31 (permalink)
    abacab
    robbyk

That is not your image, that is just a bootable WinPE OS, for the recovery environment.

You need to tell your Dell BIOS to boot from DVD prior to looking at the hard drive for a Windows boot.  I do not have a current Dell computer, so I am unable to provide a step by step procedure for that.  Suggest the Dell forums or tech support for that part.  Your BIOS will continue to load the Windows OS from the hard drive until you override that.

You need to boot from the bootable rescue disk (which does NOT contain your image), then tell it to restore a good image from your external HD to your internal HD.

Oops I misspoke, after reinstalling the macrium software, I meant to say I successfully created a rescue boot on DVD, unlike before. That is the build worked and I watched it mount the VIM. My disk image created at another time is on a WD external drive and all apparently went well there.

Now my issue is how to boot to a DVD. F2 (according to the manual) takes me to the Bios. I went there and there is only one extra option, boot to an onboard NIC 4 or 6(whatever that is), same as a advanced startup. That just boots back into windows. A You tube (official Dell) suggests I have to create the DVD option in the BIOS first from a command prompt but many people report it doesn't work. Tenforums helpfully suggests trying F12 which is not listed in my manual and see if that will give a one time option to boot into a DVD. I'm going to try that soon today.

So I'm stuck on this right now, but I'm sure all is well, but I will not risk updating to win 10 pro and receiving updates until I'm sure. Updates have taken out enough of my pcs now.

Best, Robby K 

Music 
    Studio
    robbyk
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/12 18:27:23 (permalink)
    haydn12
    You can hit the F12 key when starting up your computer to pick which device you want to boot from. 

Jim

Yes sir, I am going to try that soon today after errands and I pray it will work. Thanks much for the advice. I'll report back yet today. I am really hopeful!

Best, Robby K 

Music 
    Studio
    robbyk
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/13 02:46:14 (permalink)
    So F12 brings up a new menu, this despite that Dell support for my pc (which has expired) clearly states in the support manual F12 will bring up one start up in the upper right. Below is what I get.

UEFI Options:
        Windows Boot Manager
        Onboard NIC (IPV4)
        Onboard NIC (IPV6)
    Other Options:
        Bios Setup
        Diagnostics
        BIOS Flash Update
        Device Configuration
        Peripheral Device Settings (OPROM) <-greyed out
        Change Boot Mode Setting
        Support Assistant OS Recovery

I checked Change Boot Mode Setting and there is nothing there important.

I have one option, do the rescue media over, this time using a flash drive. I already have a flash drive rescue created the day I got the pc, so it should be able to do that, but maybe not. To use that, you must click recover which will automatically reinstall windows rather than boot into it via F12. I found one article stating that Dell does not support booting into DVDs, but I don't know if that is correct or not.

I found one other Dell support ticket via google that asked my exact same question. The dell support agent simply referenced a doc which had nothing to do with booting from a DVD or Flash. There were no other entries on that so the OP probably figured he wouldn't get a correct answer and left.

I can't believe my misfortune in this. In settings / recover on my pc, it clearly states click here to boot into a DVD or Flash drive but all I get is the NIC (4 or6) options. I'm beyond frustration so I'm going to forget about this for a time.

Still many thanks to all who offered help in ther waning hours of this forum. Everyone here is a great bunch of guys. abacab you have helped me on other issues before too. many, many thanks!

Best, Robby K 

Music 
    Studio
    haydn12
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/13 23:05:40 (permalink)
    Do you have your flash drive inserted when booting?   If it was setup for UEFI boot, then it should appear as a UEFI Flash Boot device.     You may need to setup legacy mode to boot from a flash drive or DVD.  After image is restored, change the BIOS back to UEFI.  This is hard to explain as there are a few settings that have to be changed in the BIOS to get this to work and I don't have a Dell computer in front of me.

Jim 
    abacab
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/14 14:48:45 (permalink)
    The boot device priority is set in the BIOS.  You need to access "BIOS Setup" to change that on any computer.

Here is a generic procedure, and so it may not appear exactly like this in your PC, but the concepts will apply:
    https://www.lifewire.com/change-the-boot-order-in-bios-2624528

abacab
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/14 14:50:47 (permalink)
    NOTE: The boot order is a BIOS setting, so it's operating system independent. In other words, it doesn't matter if you have Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Linux, or any other PC operating system on your hard drive or other bootable device — these boot sequence change instructions will still apply.

robbyk
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/14 16:56:14 (permalink)
    abacab: thanks again so much, yes I go into the BIOS via F2 at startup (F2 and F12 are my only options, F12 is supposed to take me into one time boot according to the manual but it doesn't) and my only options for Boot Option Priorities in F2, the BIOS are:

Boot Option #1 Windows Boot Manager
    Boot Option #2 Onboard NIC IPV4
    Boot Option #3 Onboard NIC IPV6

I've tried all three with the DVD Macrium Rescue Disk inserted and they all bring me immediately right back into windows.

I don't know what NIC IPV4 & 6 are, but they have a DVD and Flash drive icon next to them in Advanced Startup in windows (a link under Settings). If I go in thru this link (as opposed to the BIOS), I get the same options as above and they all restart immediately back into windows.

Incidentally, my total time online during this week of activity is about 15 minutes. Enough time for Microsoft to demand I download the updates (1803). Yesterday I got a BSOD upon startup after leaving sleep mode so I am not in a good position now.

I sincerely appreciate your and everyone's help but I am not sure I can crack this cookie open and I may have hosed my pc (essentially brand new, barely used, maybe 40 hours) by trying to create a rescue disk and allowing Microsoft in the backdoor.

Your help has been a super help over the years, you are a great guy!

Best, Robby K 

Music 
    Studio
    robbyk
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/14 16:59:32 (permalink)
    haydn12
    Do you have your flash drive inserted when booting?   If it was setup for UEFI boot, then it should appear as a UEFI Flash Boot device.     You may need to setup legacy mode to boot from a flash drive or DVD.  After image is restored, change the BIOS back to UEFI.  This is hard to explain as there are a few settings that have to be changed in the BIOS to get this to work and I don't have a Dell computer in front of me.

Jim 

Jim

No I made a rescue boot via DVD. There is apparently no option to boot into a DVD or flash drive via either F2 (Bios) or F12 (some list of things).

Sounds like good advice but I do not recall seeing anything about legacy in either F2 or F12.

Thanks so much though and I'll look into it further if my pc is not hosed, which it may be.

Best, Robby K 

Music 
    Studio
    robbyk
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/14 16:59:32 (permalink)
    haydn12

Jim 

Jim

No I made a rescue boot via DVD. There is apparently no option to boot into a DVD or flash drive via either F2 (Bios) or F12 (some list of things).

Sounds like good advice but I do not recall seeing anything about legacy in either F2 or F12.

Thanks so much though and I'll look into it further if my pc is not hosed, which it may be.

Best, Robby K 

Music 
    Studio
    robbyk
    Re: Macrium Disc Image 2019/01/14 18:04:33 (permalink)
    There may be hope yet, I see in the dell forums there are many threads on cannot boot into a DVD on a Dell XPS 8920. I haven't read through them all but I think some have hinted at the solution in the above threads. I t may be I have to add the DVD as a boot option to do so I may have to disable secure boot and set UEFI as a boot option in the BIOS (F2) and then< once added, I can go into F12 and boot into DVD (Macrium rescue disk).

So there is hope if my pc is not dead.

Thanks again for ALL THE BIG help!

Best, Robby K 

Music 
    Studio
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1