Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford

Author
jsaras
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
2005/03/10 21:38:04 (permalink)

Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford

I would appreciate any arrangement/production ideas for this song which can be downloaded HERE

Hannah did the original 6-string guitar track (I added a sampled 12-string part) and vocal. I produced the rest.

There are some minor issues that still need to be addressed such as the metronome click at the beginning and some additional vocal punch-ins in a couple of places.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Jonas

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)

23 Replies Related Threads

hornplayer
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1024
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/10 23:41:09 (permalink)
    First of all - nice song.

I would like to hear the strings replaced with a more analog-style pad. That's kind of the function you are using the strings for anyway. I just personally don't like strings played like a pad - strings should play lines, and pads should be pads. That's just my taste and my opinion.

In the intro and first verse, it would be cool to have a pad in an upper register. The pad sound I'm hearing there has almost a vocal quality to it (but not a necessarily vox pad) with slow attacks and releases. Something open - maybe a G and a D (5ths), and maybe (or maybe not) resolving the G to F# on the D chord. It almost sounds like you have a pad in there - is that just reverb on the drum loop? Anyway, I'd take that idea a step further.

How about adding a Wurli at some point? And/or maybe an electric guitar doing something arpeggiated when the drums come in? I think any vocal harmonies should be simple, if you add any at all.

I'm sure you won't, but just don't "overproduce" this. I like it simple. Great start on this. Powerful song. It's gonna be nice!

jsaras
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/11 00:12:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hornplayer
    I would like to hear the strings replaced with a more analog-style pad.

There is an analog sytnh pad in there as well (actually an Alesis Micron). I could mix that element up a bit and the sampled strings down. I originally was going for a sort of Bruce Hornsby-ish drum machine/string pad vibe anyway.

I don't think there's any reverb on the loop. That's just the way it sounds.

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/11 01:45:23 (permalink)
    Hi Jonas,
    In general, there's a building problem with the arrangement I think that
    needs to be worked out. In the beginning .. the acoustic guitar and the
    percussion groove don't work together well and need some type of warm
    pad to bridge the gap .. or to cut the groove back a bit to let the more
    human elements dominate.
    I'd like more of a build up to the chorus ... with the chorus having
    the most intensity and then let the verse drop and build up again..
    There's not enough punch to the chorus . and i'm thinking some
    vocal harmonies or beds/pads would set the intensity of the chorus.
    Also, Hannah needs to push a bit more on the chorus ... and (perhaps) scale
    back (close mic / vocal fry) during the verse to make it more intimate.

it's a good tune ... let your collective hair down and i think it's going
    to be real nice.

jeff
    post edited by jmarkham - 2005/03/11 01:53:10
    michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/11 02:02:07 (permalink)
    Hi Jonas. Please give my best to Hannah. Very sincere effort.
    Since the tsunami is from the East, I would personally paint the picture a bit more ethnic. Great start in the beginning. I would keep the groove going, but drop the bass completely till the drums come in. (more on drums later.) If you really want the bass, I would suggest to make it more log or latin sounding where you don't here the note so much but feel the warmth-kind of a movie theme sound. The movement of the bass I would suggest more 1/2 note and whole note movement-moving only where it is absolutely necessary, and no inversions for a while-sounds kind of jazzy which works great on some songs, but I think doesn't work so well for this song. I would leave it bare and desolate. Have an air pad (do you have a Triton-I can suggest one) playing 2 note chords (5ths)G D D A with the ethnic groove and the simple 6 string without the glorious 12 string chords. THe pad can give than almost spooky barren feeling of a deserted beach, the girl and her lone guitar looking at the devestation with the wind blowing in her hair, and the sound of tablas/log drums lightly grooving hynotically in the back.
    When the drums do come in, have them be brushes to again give it a bit more of the desert sound. Instead of a rock beat give it the same movement as the tabla groove (kind of like the drum beat in Truly, Madly, Deeply but slowed down and played gently.) A real shaker could be added for momentum and to once again give it that feeling that you are on the beach.

Hey that was fun.

edit-bare not bear-Ha!!!! Hope I'm out of the woods now.
    post edited by michael japan - 2005/03/11 02:45:52

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/11 02:33:41 (permalink)
    wouldn't it be cool to have mjapan's ear ;-) i think he expressed
    what i heard more succinctly (except for bare vs bear)
    in the arrangement part .. but I stand by my critique of the vox ....
    jeff
    post edited by jmarkham - 2005/03/11 02:35:28
    DarrylCoy
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/11 08:58:33 (permalink)
    I would appreciate any arrangement/production ideas

Jonas,

The opening acoustic sounds dark, which makes sense for this song. I'm just not a fan of the chorus on the acoustic or maybe it's the 12 string sample you mentioned. The first thing I thought of was the guitar(s) were slightly out of tune.

The bass guitar sounds artificial to me. I recommend you recruit a human bass player because I think it would make a big difference (if it's a real bass player then I'm eating crow of course).

Thanks for sharing. It's cool to see you writing & producing songs on the forum.

Darryl
    jsaras
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/11 10:07:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: michael japan
    and no inversions for a while-sounds kind of jazzy which works great on some songs, but I think doesn't work so well for this song.

Dude, I like to put the major 7th in my dominant 7th chord voicings (not kidding)! Restricting myself to just root and root/3rd was tough enough :)

Just the root? I may try it out but then the song just becomes Emi, D, G, C which has been done countless times.

Michael, I don't have a Triton but if you think you've got the ultimate pad for this could you perhaps record about 5 seconds of middle C (single note) as well as an octave above and an octave below? I could fly that into my sampler and give it a whirl.

All terrific suggestions/observations from everyone, BTW. I think this one's gonna be terrific when it's all finished.

michael japan
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/11 10:43:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jsaras

and no inversions for a while-sounds kind of jazzy which works great on some songs, but I think doesn't work so well for this song.

Dude, I like to put the major 7th in my dominant 7th chord voicings (not kidding)! Restricting myself to just root and root/3rd was tough enough :)

Just the root? I may try it out but then the song just becomes Emi, D, G, C which has been done countless times.

Michael, I don't have a Triton but if you think you've got the ultimate pad for this could you perhaps record about 5 seconds of middle C (single note) as well as an octave above and an octave below? I could fly that into my sampler and give it a whirl.

All terrific suggestions/observations from everyone, BTW. I think this one's gonna be terrific when it's all finished.

take a deep breath. Slowly repeat after me-13ths are nice but not always. 11ths are nice in bossa nova but not folk. I can do this. I can do this. <g>. Yes, it's "been done countless times. Do you know how hard it is some places to go find an authentic Italian restaurant? So many chefs think they need to find a new take on a recipe that's been tried and proven for centuries. It's like making Puttanesca. So few ingredients- "butta I wanta putta the bacon and the cipolla in za salsa"-restrain yourself. This isn't jazz. (you know I'm teasing you right-I know you can probably play circles around me with one hand behind your back.) Anyway, I wasn't saying forever. I'm talking about in the beginning to paint the picture. All you need is a pencil sketch at the beginning and then later bring in that talented genius that you are. Too much happening too fast. I speak as a man.-Let the song speak. Don't "produce it". Just help it along. And then as it builds you do that cool stuff that not everyone can do.

Loved your post. Your sense of humor is getting better and better. Send it to me with a chord chart and I'll do the pad work for you if you want. Or I can send you different pads as you asked.
    I just had this guy http://www.gregchako.com i in my studio. Talk about jazz? We did some cool things together-smart and dumber-you know like fusion. He brought his golden retriever over to play with mine all day. Very interesting. You jazz cats always fascinate me. What a gift. Keep me posted. You know how to reach me offline, but we could keep it online as for others interest.

God bless-late.
    post edited by michael japan - 2005/03/11 11:06:21

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    sfripp
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/13 08:30:33 (permalink)
    Nice song Jonas!

..But what chord were you playing at 2:05/2:18/2:16???....ARRRG...it keeps moving!!!

I'm OK now!

E6600 Core2Duo, 2gigC4 corsair,
    Asus P5B, LynxII, 3xWD250Gig SATAII
    BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
    jsaras
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/13 10:33:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: sfripp
    ..But what chord were you playing at 2:05/2:18/2:16???....ARRRG...it keeps moving!!!
    I'm OK now!

I think you're referring to a Dsus chord. The first time it's played, it doesn't resolve to a D chord. That's probably what threw you off.

jsaras
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/13 10:52:50 (permalink)
    Send it to me with a chord chart and I'll do the pad work for you if you want. Or I can send you different pads as you asked

Hi Michael!

Here are the chord changes (sans intro):

I've already done some minor things per your suggestions that have helped it out a lot, but I'll wait to hear you pad idea so that Ican compare it to what I did.

You jazz cats always fascinate me.

I think that playing jazz is the easiest thing to do. I'm sure you've heard the old adage "One wrong note is a mistake, two wroong notes in a row is jazz, three wrong notes in a row...you've got an arrangement!

michael japan
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/13 11:04:12 (permalink)
    I need the mp3 I think. Or shall I just play the chords and you sync them in ? <g>. It's 1:00 a.m. Great gig tonight. Off to bed. Email me with mp3 minus pad and bpm. I'll do it tomorrow morning

jsaras
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/13 11:49:14 (permalink)
    You've got mail!

BTW, the tempo is 66 bpm.

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/14 11:09:54 (permalink)
    I enjoyed this. Very nice clean production.

Most of this may have been covered, but here goes some opinions:
    - The openning percusion (RMX?) is too intense, and it never comes back. It probably could be dropped, I don't miss it during the wind down (2:30+)
    - The snare at 1:20 is to hard. Side stick at most.
    - Personally, I like the chords. I think the popular ear has grown accustomed to more harmonically rich material
    danhazer
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2053
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/14 11:56:23 (permalink)
    The technical production values are top notch. Everything sounds nice and clear. I love the guitar tones. There's just a tad bit too much verb on the voice for my taste.

The song is good but Hanna, while her raw material is good, goes a little overboard with the vibrato and vocal affectations sometimes. I'd like to hear it sung in a more simple way - but that's a matter of personal taste.

Thanks,

Dan Monaghan
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/14 12:08:36 (permalink)
    I'd like to hear it sung in a more simple way
    Ok, I'm piling on here, but I heard that as well. Simpler would be more heart felt.
    kiwisdontdrinktea
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/14 12:59:15 (permalink)
    Ok Just IMHO I am not a musician. Part of my posts is to see how people like yourself react to what I say about their song to see if I'm just full of it. I did not like the accoustic guitar. It was too sweet because of some effect (reverb?) and/or EQ. I know I'll never be the mixer/tacker/masterer you are. I have really struggled with accoustic guitar and am finding to my taste one should usually do little except get a good room, mic and roll of some lows on it and maybe double track it. Unless it's way in the back then maybe boosting it a little to make it shine thru is appropriate. What's up with the effects? If it were my song I would remove those. I would like to hear the accoustic guiter without any effects applied except a little EQ where necessary to make it sit in the mix. OK I also have an aversion to pads. I never us ethem as they seem to be a cop out for not having the bass and harmonies fill in where necessary. Just my 2cts.

Hey I am in Pasadena too we should do a visual of each other some day.

She done stole my song - Otis Redding

http://www.beatkiwi.com
    jsaras
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/14 13:28:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kiwisdontdrinktea
    I did not like the accoustic guitar. It was too sweet because of some effect (reverb?) and/or EQ.

I didn't do that much to the acoustic guitar. I matched its EQ to that of the sampled 12-string part that I added for reinforcement (although the latest version I removed the 12-string...which will probably be more to your taste at the end of the day, less 'produced" sounding perhaps). Another person perceived the guitar as sounding too dark. When it comes to guitar tones you're never gonna make eveybody happy. Hannah does like chorusing on her acoustic guitar, but that send can very easily be toned down or even turned off. The nice thing is that the quality of the initial captured track is very good and it can be shaped in any number of ways. The final direction on all of the parts has yet to be decided. There's a chance that the guitar part will be replayed completely either by Hannah or a pro (Brian Price, if I have anything to say about it).

I love pads, whether they be from a Hammond organ, synth whatever. It can fill up the chorus of a song with a wall-to-wall carpet of sound or just provide simple unobtrusive harmonic glue during a verse. Though it can be overdone, I waited until later on in the song to introduce that element, hopefully adding variety to the arrangement. Even without the pad, there's plenty of bass (especially the on latest version which I haven't posted yet) and the harmonic framework is clearly laid out by the guitar voicings. If you've got any suggestions on what I could do at the chorus (loud distorted guitar!?!) I'm very open to suggestions.

If you wanna get togther for a drink at Coffee Bean some Saturday morning I'm sure I could swing that.

Later,
    Jonas

daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/15 06:01:25 (permalink)
    Jsaras - do you have the freebie synth Dreampad perchance? - reckon that'd work very well here.

If you don't what's ur mail - i'll send it to you.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    michael japan
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/15 08:19:17 (permalink)
    thanks Dave

mfskATgreenDOTocnDOTneDOTjp

jsaras
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/15 09:40:06 (permalink)
    Thanks Dave.

I'll definitely take you up on that offer. Me email address can easily be navigated to from my either one of my signature links.

Zeplin
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 221
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/15 09:48:27 (permalink)
    Me likey very much (and thats a lot coming from a hardcore atheist about a song about god!) !! Very nice!
    Beautiful vocals, though I guess sometimes the words could be sung just a bit more clearly, as it can be hard to hard to understand it all (at least for me).
    I absolutely DIG (super dig actually) the opening, its practicly what I enjoy most about the song. I love the "dark" feel you get from it. I'm not sure if I like the drums or not, I'm sure I like it without them, not sure if i like or not like it with them. I like the guitar and how it plays out. I say nicely done :)

http://www.mentalmirage.com
    michael japan
    RE: Mercy-Prayer for Tsunami Victims by Hannah Ford 2005/03/15 20:00:14 (permalink)
    absolutely DIG (super dig actually) the opening, its practicly what I enjoy most about the song. I love the "dark" feel you get from it. I'm not sure if I like the drums or not, I'm sure I like it without them, not sure if i like or not like it with them.

yep, the beginning has the magic-be nice if it keeps it up somehow-I think using a brush kit and have it be more rolling like the intro loop would be nice, or keep something like the intro loop going and bring in a distant kick and some sandy beachy brushy stuff. Zeplin, sorry about the atheist thing. I'll pray for you. <g> Used to live in Denmark. Ever hear of Christania? Used to play in clubs in Copenhagen-loved elephant beer at the time!!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1