Who'll Be The One

Author
Abbey
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 159
2005/03/17 16:18:05 (permalink)

Who'll Be The One

This song was originally recorded in 1983 at Yuger Studio's. I do not have the 16 track tape with the individual tracks. However, I do have the master and am now trying to EQ it using Sonar 4 Producer. I only have computer speakers that I'm playing it through and my old 52 year ears can't really pull it off.

If you could give suggestions it would help. I intend to re-record the whole song again using the original members of MR. EDD, but I would still like to send each member a desent copy to re-learn the song from.

Thanks for your help,
Jeff Abbey

Oh yah, I had to edit because I forgot to put in the link...
Who'll Be The One
post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/17 16:22:36

14 Replies Related Threads

danhazer
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2053
    RE: Who'll Be The One 2005/03/17 16:22:32 (permalink)
    What format is the master in? It's got a lot of hiss in it...

Dan Monaghan
    Abbey
    RE: Who'll Be The One 2005/03/17 16:30:37 (permalink)
    You're write about the hiss. That's one of the things that I'm trying to fix. It also has a very brassy sound to it. Any EQ suggestions?

Danhazer: I went to your site. Being that I am devout Catholic, I loved listening to your Gospel music.
    danhazer
    RE: Who'll Be The One 2005/03/17 16:35:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Abbey

You're write about the hiss. That's one of the things that I'm trying to fix. It also has a very brassy sound to it. Any EQ suggestions?

Danhazer: I went to your site. Being that I am devout Catholic, I loved listening to your Gospel music.

If I were you, I'd get a hold of Jonas (Jsaras is is screen name). I think he can help. He does a lot of that type of EQ work and he also does some restoration, too. He's got a web site that you can go visit. Search for his screen name.

Your tune is nice. I like that style of music. The '80s were my decade.

Thanks for the complement about the tunes on my site. My wife's songs are also here in the songs forum. Look for a posting with my screen name as the author and the and the song title "beautiful."

Good luck on your restoration quest.

Thanks,

Dan Monaghan
    kiwisdontdrinktea
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: Who'll Be The One 2005/03/17 17:07:24 (permalink)
    Hisssssssssssssss!
    I am not a musicician or mixer so take this with a grain of salt.
    The song has a nice 70s feel and melody to it. Vox reminded me a bit of Al Stewart.
    I liked the slide noises on the guitar it somehow sounded good on the song was it intentional?
    I think the vox and guitar need to come up in the mix. Not sure how to do that? Your vocal has a sharp edge to it which tells me there is frequency you can probably home in on and boost. start looking around 5K, with a high Q of 4-5, gain of 6dB and start sweeping looking where vox will come out better. Teh adjust as appropriate once you find teh center frequency (bring gain down and widen the Q to 3).

For hiss removal. I played around once to remove a ground loop buzz I had. I found having a low pass filter at about 10 KHz with a Q of 1 and a cut of -4dB was sufficient to remove the buzz. The key was really the low Q. You don't want any sudden changes as you are EQing a large chunk of the song, so the effect of EQ is not noticed. Also a low reduction was key, don't cut too much. At least that is what worked for me.

Growing your hair again, dude?

She done stole my song - Otis Redding

http://www.beatkiwi.com
    Abbey
    RE: Who'll Be The One 2005/03/17 17:24:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kiwisdontdrinktea

Growing it! Heck... I just got it cut. Not really, but I am 3 months overdue.

Yah the hiss is really bad and I might take it down off my site 'til I get it fixed, (when I get around to it and I hope I do get around to it before I get around to getting my hear cut.)

Catch you latter dude I'm late for that cheese-burg.
    Abbey
    RE: Who'll Be The One 2005/03/17 20:58:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: danhazer
    Your tune is nice. I like that style of music. The '80s were my decade.

Thanks for the complement about the tunes on my site. My wife's songs are also here in the songs forum. Look for a posting with my screen name as the author and the and the song title "beautiful."

Good luck on your restoration quest.

Thanks,

Hi Dan,

My"restoration quest" is about to end. The original recording and master was done in a profession studio with 60' recording equiptment. I think that what I will do is pull it down after a couple more days and then re-record everything all over again right out of Sonar 4 Pro. It's really just a waste of time at this point and now I'm working on another instrumental.

Going out now to find your wife's song "beautiful".

Catch ya later,

Jeff Abbey

Edit: Hey Dan I can find "beautiful". Can you point me to it?

post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/17 21:15:10
    Abbey
    RE: Who'll Be The One 2005/03/17 21:30:28 (permalink)

Hisssssssssssssss!
    The song has a nice 70s feel and melody to it. Vox reminded me a bit of Al Stewart.
    I liked the slide noises on the guitar it somehow sounded good on the song was it intentional?

Hi Bazza,

The slide noise on the quitar is actually being done by the keyboard player "Monk Rowe" of MR. EDD.

I'm doing the vox and "Jim Lucas" (MR. EDD's drumer) is doing backup voices.

The bass player is Greeley Ford. Though this or any of our originals don't show it, this guy's is world class.

I intend to bring all four member's of MR. EDD (Myself being one of them. So I guess I'll have to show up too:-) into my studio to do some real recording. Those $100,000 studios just can't cut it anymore.

Thanks,
    JA
    danhazer
    RE: Who'll Be The One 2005/03/17 23:57:25 (permalink)
    Going out now to find your wife's song "beautiful".

Here's a link to it: "beautiful."

Good luck on that re-recording project. Those can be tough.

Thanks,
    post edited by danhazer - 2005/03/17 23:58:26

Dan Monaghan
    Abbey
    RE: Who'll Be The One 2005/03/18 02:04:28 (permalink)

Hisssssssssssssss!

Maybe you are hearing the slide of my fingers as they shift from one possition to another. If so, it is not intentionally played, but is left in for live effect.

Thanks for the compliments Bazza. I'm going to do an entire re-record and re-mix at some point in time if the earth doesn't get swollowed up into a black hole bringing us to a quontum singularity and time ends. However, my full name is - Jeffrey P. Abbey... (The middle initial P. stands for Procastinator.[sm=rolleyes.gif])
    ...so it not might be too soon before I FIX it!
    post edited by Abbey - 2005/03/18 02:08:30
    MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Who'll Be The One 2005/03/18 05:56:23 (permalink)
    Abbey,

Dan is right - check out Jonas. Last month he reworked six of my brothers recordings (which were done on cassette four track). He did a wonderful job of cleaning them and balancing them out. He also turned around the project very quickly. And he's a real nice guy to work with - very professional. Good luck.
    Abbey
    RE: Who'll Be The One 2005/03/18 15:03:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MannyNY

Abbey,

Dan is right - check out Jonas. Last month he reworked six of my brothers recordings (which were done on cassette four track). He did a wonderful job of cleaning them and balancing them out. He also turned around the project very quickly. And he's a real nice guy to work with - very professional. Good luck.

Thanks Manny and Danny,

I shall start my search for the profit JONAS now.

The last time I did a search for someone on this forum, I kept goofing up. This, ...of course, may be due to the fact that I'm a BIG GOOFY fellow. So if anyone out there in "Cakewalk Songs" land can point me to Jonas's link, it would be excepted by me with splended appreciation.

Thanks,
    JA
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Who'll Be The One 2005/03/18 15:16:15 (permalink)
    point me to Jonas's link
    Turns out he has song on this page: jsaras (link). Go to his web site in his sig.

By the way, I like this tune.
    Abbey
    RE: Who'll Be The One 2005/03/18 15:32:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ed_mcg

point me to Jonas's link
    Turns out he has song on this page: jsaras (link). Go to his web site in his sig.

By the way, I like this tune.

Thanks Ed,

By the way, do you have a brother named "John". Just pondering about your last name.

JA
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Who'll Be The One 2005/03/18 15:46:48 (permalink)
    By the way, do you have a brother named "John".
    Yes, I do. He's a guitar player. You may have heard of him.

Ok, not this John McLaughlin.

Boy that would be cool. And having Sarah McLachlan for a sister too, yeah, we'd be jammin'

All different spellings. Probably related if you go back enough centuries though.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1