new beatle-ish indie pop

Author
rmfluzon
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
2005/03/30 09:52:01 (permalink)

new beatle-ish indie pop

Heh, haven't posted here in forever, but heres a new one I'm working on. Not that happy with the mix yet, but I'm diggin' the song itself so far

http://www.slackersbrigade.com/mp3/to_call_you.mp3

Alrighty, thanks.

8 Replies Related Threads

pilfa
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 410
    RE: new beatle-ish indie pop 2005/04/01 01:55:38 (permalink)
    Could only listen on headphones but recording/mix seemed really good.

Good track thanks for posting
    Snouter
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: new beatle-ish indie pop 2005/04/01 03:10:46 (permalink)
    I think the acoustic sounds good, but I feel it need an addition guitar track in the form of a clean electric track to strengthen it a little more. The effects used in the solo are a little overdone, but might sound more appropriate in the context of the added clean electric track.
    rmfluzon
    RE: new beatle-ish indie pop 2005/04/02 21:51:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for the listen, guys.

Snouter: Yeah, you know, I kept trying to add another electric track, but felt like it wasn't adding as much as I thought it would. But I may try again, just as a layer mixed in there to fill things out a bit, rather than a "part" part, you know.

Oh yeah and I couldn't resist trying out/showing off my new toy on the guitar solo (Z.Vex Fuzz Factory), overdone is kind of what it does
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    RE: new beatle-ish indie pop 2005/04/02 22:40:21 (permalink)
    Hi Robert

Interesting track, especially with the way that rhythm section sounds like it will fall over and start babbling drunkenly any second now. The looseness gives it atmosphere and personality.
    I'd back off some of the verb on the band cos it makes you sound like you're playing in a very small room.
    Nice hook too.

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

MightyLeeMoon
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: new beatle-ish indie pop 2005/04/02 22:47:43 (permalink)
    The mix on this has it's imperfections....but most of my favorite music does! This fits right up my alley. (Jayhawks, Wilco, Apples in Stereo etc...) Good tune.

i throw my self into the arms of that which will betray me.
    i guess to see how far providence will stoop down, just to save me
    http://www.myspace.com/akinderbiography
    http://www.myspace.com/leeneitzel
    burkek
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: new beatle-ish indie pop 2005/04/03 09:00:20 (permalink)
    I liked this tune - lots of hooky bits, and interesting and funny lyrically. You're a very creative writer! I have only one small niggle - the sound of the electric guitar in the solo is not appropriate for this song. I don't know if running it through an amp/speaker sim and possibly some additional EQ would help, but it's sound reminds me of a zipper as is. Aim for what the Beatles used.

Thanks for posting ..

KEv

www.kevinburke.ca

Macbook Pro 2017 | 4K monitor 
    AKAI S5000 x 3 | Korg Prophecy/Poly-61M | Alesis S4+/DM5 | Ensoniq Mirage x 2, ASR-10 | EMU e6400 | Roland S750 | Kawai K4r/XD-5/K3m | EMU Proformance/1+ | Waldorf uQ

rmfluzon
    RE: new beatle-ish indie pop 2005/04/04 21:40:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MightyLeeMoon

The mix on this has it's imperfections....

Thanks for listening, and the generous understatement Wilco's probably my favorite band right now, and originally I'd concieved of this song as a bit more subdued and downtempo, sort of in the vein of some of the Ghost is Born tracks, but somehow it got all jaunty on me.

ORIGINAL: elektroniqa

I liked this tune - lots of hooky bits, and interesting and funny lyrically. You're a very creative writer! I have only one small niggle - the sound of the electric guitar in the solo is not appropriate for this song. I don't know if running it through an amp/speaker sim and possibly some additional EQ would help, but it's sound reminds me of a zipper as is. Aim for what the Beatles used.

Hey, thanks for the listen. That's two nay votes on the guitar solo sound, I'll have to give it another critical listen.
    post edited by rmfluzon - 2005/04/04 21:42:04
    rmfluzon
    RE: new beatle-ish indie pop 2005/04/04 21:47:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Paul Russell

Hi Robert

Interesting track, especially with the way that rhythm section sounds like it will fall over and start babbling drunkenly any second now. The looseness gives it atmosphere and personality.
    I'd back off some of the verb on the band cos it makes you sound like you're playing in a very small room.
    Nice hook too.

Thanks for the listen. Yeah, you know, a couple of other people have commented on the looseness, and I'm like "Huh? Loose?"

Personality and atmosphere are pretty much my only saving graces when it comes to recording, too, but I guess I can only get better with practice...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1