mandarin song

Author
korn3lius
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41
2005/04/02 04:32:11 (permalink)

mandarin song

Hi everyone,
here comes my new song, it's mandarin(chinese) song. this is a kind of romance love song, I know almost of people in this forum won't understand this song lyric..but this OK, I need some critique and suggestion.
about the vocal, song , instruments, mixing, everthing man..
if you're happy

thanks
Edy Kornelius

9 Replies Related Threads

Gray Crosby
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: mandarin song 2005/04/02 14:43:28 (permalink)
    Edy:

Well done. The vocals are clear and strong. True.....I dont understand a word...but the lyrics seem to fit the texture of the music very well. Nice piano and orchestration too....sounds great.

The thunderstorm seems to go on a little long....Im not sure if it is connected to the lyrics somehow.....but that was the only thing that stuck out to me.

Good to hear from you.

Gray
    korn3lius
    RE: mandarin song 2005/04/02 15:12:06 (permalink)
    Hi Gray,
    thanks for listening and reply
    nice to see you again, how r u? it's been a long didn't hear your new song.

does the rain and thunder at first feel too long at the first?

Edy
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: mandarin song 2005/04/03 17:17:53 (permalink)
    Edy,
    Nice song, great singing. Couple comments: Yes, the rain and thunder go rather long (40 secs). You could bring in a little strings earlier before the vocals. Other item: I hear the background noise on the vocal track before the gate shut it down - listen to 1:34 - 1:35 between the slow gate and the amount compression, there's a lot of background noise.

Once again, beautiful song. Thanks for sharing.
    korn3lius
    RE: mandarin song 2005/04/03 17:25:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ed_mcg

Edy,
    Nice song, great singing. Couple comments: Yes, the rain and thunder go rather long (40 secs). You could bring in a little strings earlier before the vocals. Other item: I hear the background noise on the vocal track before the gate shut it down - listen to 1:34 - 1:35 between the slow gate and the amount compression, there's a lot of background noise.

Once again, beautiful song. Thanks for sharing.

Hi, Ed
    thanks for replying,really appreciate it
    yes,it is, the noise at 1:34-1:35 a bit harder..it's also very disturb me..
    I guess I will get my singer back and record it once again maybe with one key higher than this, because I'm also didn't very satisfy with her vocal lower note
    about the rain..i will make it shorter
    thanks for your nice comments..
    Wanderingbard
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: mandarin song 2005/04/03 19:49:18 (permalink)
    Hi Korn,

The vocals are excellent. I do not mind the length of the thunderstorm, however, there is abrupt noise when it moves from the storm to the vocals. You may want to adjust the release on the compressor.

Also the beginning sounds very similar to a song done in the 1970s by an American Country Music artist named Sammi Smith. The song was called "Help me make it through the night" I think Kris Kristofferson wrote the song. I hope the information helps
    korn3lius
    RE: mandarin song 2005/04/03 22:31:36 (permalink)
    Hi,
    thanks for your time to listening, appreciate it very much
    about the song you said, I've never heard it before, maybe I'll try to find it
    thanks for your information
    My Cats Pet
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: mandarin song 2005/04/04 12:49:16 (permalink)
    Korn3lius

I speak Mandarin and Cantonese, so I suppose that I can comment on the lyrics. The lyrics are probably the strongest part of the song, a little bit of the same feel of the lyrics on Yan Zi's stuff (that's a good thing). If you wrote them, good job.

In terms of the music, your singer's voice strays a bit off tune in one or two places (not by much, it was only noticable on the second or third listen). I also think adding some harmonies (even if its only your own voice) would make the vocal parts a bit more musically interesting. The music is very typical of current Mandarin and Canto pop music, which I don't personally find terribly interesting - but this is a personal preference. On its own terms (that is, as Mandarin/Taiwan pop), the music is quite good and at the level of a lot of pro songs out there.

My advice is that you stand a pretty decent chance in the Hong Kong / Taiwan market; keep at it. When you become famous, BU YAO WANG JI NI DE "CAKEWALK" DE PENGYOU MEN :-)

post edited by My Cats Pet - 2005/04/04 12:52:38
    korn3lius
    RE: mandarin song 2005/04/04 22:34:57 (permalink)
    Hi "my cats pets",
    That's pretty nice to hear that you're chinese too and understand the lyrics..
    my song just like other typical mandarin pop song out there, trying to make this people(chinese/Taiwanese) like this stuff..

so what do you think about my singer vocal? (..or anybody can tell me?)
    does it sounds too loud? or the reverb is too much?
    because I hear this song in my friends computer yesterday, i hear it just not what I mix in my home..seems that the vocal sound too loud..and the piano sounds too tiny

thank you for your review and I really appreciate your comments and your time to listening this song.
    My Cats Pet
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: mandarin song 2005/04/05 10:04:21 (permalink)
    Hi,

Well, truth tell I'm not Chinese, but I do speak Mandarin and Cantonese (and know a fair amount regarding Canto and Taiwan pop music) - it's a long story (too long for here).

I'm not crazy about the singer, but her voice is probably good enough for you to work with. I don't necessarily think that she is too high in the mix - it may only appear so because some times she occassionaly stays off tune.

As I said before, adding vocal harmonies would really do a lot for this song (and the singer) - it would "tame" the vocals a bit. The vocals are the roughest part of the song right now, I think that you sense that also from your comments.

Nevertheless, I think that for what your aiming for, the Taiwan pop market, this is a good tune. Keep on working it over, I think that you have something there for sure.

I'm thinking of writing a tune in Cantonese (or Madarin) when I have the time (who knows when that will be). Maybe one day you'll be able to help me out and review my song.

Good luck again, and thanks for the tune - good work.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1