I know,another cover,but...

Author
variaxman
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 596
2005/04/02 07:51:03 (permalink)

I know,another cover,but...

I have to agree with 6 strings,that this really helps to learn production/recording techniques,and I need all the help I can get!Sooo here is a cover of a song by the 70's band War,called Low Rider.I tried to put my own spin on it with a bit of a jam at the end.
All critiques,tips,advice very much apreciated,let me know what you think!
Thanks!
Low Rider

9 Replies Related Threads

variaxman
    RE: I know,another cover,but... 2005/04/03 13:30:10 (permalink)
    Was wondering if there was any thoughts of the mix of this song...its been played 120 times since I put it up on soundclick Friday,so somebody must have listened to it...I really value the experience and comments on this forum pertaining to music/recording,and was hoping to get some feedback on the overall mix of this song as far as levels and instruments conflicting with each other.Hope I dont come across pushy by bumping...just want some feedback
    Thanks!
    Snouter
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: I know,another cover,but... 2005/04/03 15:45:46 (permalink)
    Greetings fellow Variaxer. Nice job on that song. Overall, excellent mix. However, I did notice the vocals, especially when they first start out sounded boomy relative to the rest of the mix. Maybe some EQ tweaks can take care of it.

The bass line reminds me of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young's Carry On.
    post edited by Snouter - 2005/04/03 15:47:51
    variaxman
    RE: I know,another cover,but... 2005/04/03 17:06:32 (permalink)
    Thanks Snouter...I agree with the boomy sound on the vocals and am trying to tweek the EQ on them,don't laugh ,but the mic I use for vocals is a cheap Radio Shack mic plugged into my POD 2.0 on the tube pre-amp settingnot great but thats all I have right now.Which Variax do you use?I use the 500.Cool website by the way!
    Kirkinreno
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: I know,another cover,but... 2005/04/03 20:32:56 (permalink)
    Hey dude,

I did listen to it. I'm still relatively new to stuff and so I thought someone besides a new member would respond and you could have more confidence in that. Then again, a lot of the members here know a lot about recording, but then when you listen to some of their stuff, to me the mixes are wacked out themselves, and so I get confused.

As far as your song, not a bad version of the tune. I'm a guitar player myself and I respect good playing. I can hear that you also play out live. That's so much more rewarding than this aspect of things is!

As for the mix, I thought the guitars and bass were mixed pretty well, and I really liked how you have the guitars working together. Here's my one small piece of advice, the drums sounded too low, and it sounded like it was just percussion. I'm not sure if I was just not hearing it well enough, but go ahead and bring up those tracks a bit and then I'd like to hear it again.

The vocals seemed to have a lot of reverb. Here's another issue I have with people's advice on here at times. There's often a fine line between what's artistic choice and what's too soft or too loud. There's a broad line between styles of music. So, as you take people's advice, keep that in mind. Maybe if everybody that responds says the same thing over and over, that's a definite sign to reconsider your choices, if not, don't automatically take it as gospel....getting back to the vocals, they have a lot of verb, but I think it works with this song, at the same time, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Do me a favor, please. Check out my tunes, especially "In This Place" on Soundclick under rock artists at "Kirk In Reno" This is really a cover tune, though I took my share of license. This is a song my band covers live and it often brings big tips. However, this personal version isn't a whole lot similar even to what we sound like live because it's all me, except for the spacey intro and break loop and the drums, which I painstakingly manipulated to try and get close to the feel of a real drummer improvising the intro as it should be done. The only real similarity to what we do live is that I'm playing the solo stuff on both. Live I sing the lyrics, but I hate my vocals so much, on this version I spoke them. You might remember the original by Robin Trower. Let me know what you think? Maybe we can corraborate in the future?
    variaxman
    RE: I know,another cover,but... 2005/04/04 08:33:15 (permalink)
    As for the mix, I thought the guitars and bass were mixed pretty well, and I really liked how you have the guitars working together. Here's my one small piece of advice, the drums sounded too low, and it sounded like it was just percussion. I'm not sure if I was just not hearing it well enough, but go ahead and bring up those tracks a bit and then I'd like to hear it again.

Hey Kirkinreno,thanks for the feedback!I hear you on the drums,there is a regular drumtrack in there.I struggle with getting good sounds from these loops...especially the kick,I think cause there already a prerecorded,all in one wav,your kinda limited in eq'ing specific things like the bass drum,snare,etc.As far as vocals go...I dont sing at all in my band so it's kinda new for me to sing,but I was going for a kinda "cosmic"vibe on this vocal wise hence all the 'verb.I look forward to checking out your stuff...I'm at work right now so will have to do it when I get home...huge Trower fan so should be cool.
    You should put a link to your soundclick site in your signiture so people can get to your stuff easily
    Kirkinreno
    RE: I know,another cover,but... 2005/04/04 11:35:19 (permalink)
    I just added a signature last night, let's see if it works....
    variaxman
    RE: I know,another cover,but... 2005/04/04 17:13:33 (permalink)

Check out my tunes, especially "In This Place" on Soundclick under rock artists at "Kirk In Reno"

Hey kirkinreno,checked out "In This Place"..thought it was really really cool!LOve your guitar playing,style...very soulful!Pretty cool take on Trower,and I thought the spoken word thing worked very well for this tune,if anything the "vocal"could have been a bit louder....loved the guitar at the end...but it ended to soon for me.I was digging your solo!Nice job! will be watching for some more of your stuff!
    Kirkinreno
    RE: I know,another cover,but... 2005/04/04 20:20:19 (permalink)
    Likewise Variaxman. BTW, my name's Kirk. Give me your name, we can dispense with our screen names.

Let me know if you have any interested in coraborating on something. I can't record right now, but I could send you a version of Night Out where the second half is rhythm tracks only and you could import it and lay something of your own down. I'm itching to record so bad, I just got a Rocktron Prophesy about the time my soundcard went to heaven. I so love the tone of the Prophesy over the GT6! Can't wait to use the XLR's out for recording, and also try to mic my cab and see how that pans out.

Thanks for listening, I'm going to check out some of your other tunes and I'll get back to you.

Kirk
    variaxman
    RE: I know,another cover,but... 2005/04/05 15:14:03 (permalink)

Let me know if you have any interested in coraborating on something. I can't record right now, but I could send you a version of Night Out where the second half is rhythm tracks only and you could import it and lay something of your own down.

Hey Kirk...that sounds cool,my name is Gene by the way,my e-mail is in my profile if you wanna send it.Im gonna be tied up this week workin on some other stuff with my "real" band,but would definitly like to colaberate on some jams!
    Later
    Gene
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1