Pop/Rock remix of video game tune

Author
Hale_Bopp
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 61
2005/04/08 11:44:48 (permalink)

Pop/Rock remix of video game tune

Hey guys! This is a pop/rock remix of "Calm Time" from the game Star Ocean on SNES.

>> Star Ocean - "Summertime" <<

I could really use some feedback/advice on my EQing and mastering with this one.

How do the vocals sit? Does the song sound "beefy" enough? How does it compare to other songs of this genre as far as mixing/mastering goes? How do I get those most awesome guitar tone in the world from my POD 2.0? :P

Those are some questions I'd love to get feedback on or anything else you think is worth mentioning. I appreciate all comments. Thanks!

Note: Don't mind the midi bass & drums much. My computer is having trouble loading soundfonts and samples in Sonar 2.2. It's old and cranky anyways. :P
post edited by Hale_Bopp - 2005/04/08 11:47:07

3 Replies Related Threads

Shintock
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Pop/Rock remix of video game tune 2005/04/11 22:57:27 (permalink)
    Other than the obvious drums, I think this sounds great! I'm no Sonar veteran (yet), so I'm afraid I can't offer much advice on the production, but it sounds fine to me. I'd try and bring the solo out just a little bit.

Have you tried the sfz plugin for your soundfonts? It's a bit of a CPU-hog, but it works great.

Great job once again!

Cheers,

-Andy
    bmxplosive
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 369
    RE: Pop/Rock remix of video game tune 2005/04/12 18:35:29 (permalink)
    I would like to hear the guitars a bit more but I always like big guitars out front in the mix. Maybe you could bring them up a few db or add a short delay to make them bigger. The vocals are sitting pretty good for my ear. I could make out all the lyrics and I don't know this song. Good performace and recording on those.

Brandon
    post edited by bmxplosive - 2005/04/12 18:37:01
    Hale_Bopp
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Pop/Rock remix of video game tune 2005/04/13 00:54:21 (permalink)
    Thanks, guys!

Shintock, I don't have the VST adapter, so I'm out of luck right now. I believe sfz is a VST plugin, is it not? I'm really not exaggerating when I say my comp is old and cranky, so I'm guessing it probably wouldn't handle it well either way. Not to mention my comp won't take anymore memory, so I try my best to baby it. I'm gonna hold off on investing more money into audio gear/software until I have a bigger, better and badder DAW.

bmxplosive, I've been starting to think the same thing about the guitars. They seem just a tad buried so I'll try and mess around with the volume levels and see what I come up with.

Thanks for listening!

More comments are welcome!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1