I Know - Pop Rock

Author
rodman1971
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 90
2005/04/17 14:03:26 (permalink)

I Know - Pop Rock

I uploaded the most recent version of a song I posted last week. I've rounded out the vocals as well as worked on the bridge. I'm pretty happy with it but I'm still looking to add some synths in the bridge to bring some more atmosphere to that part of the song, as well as help it build toward the last verse and chorus. Any suggestions? The song is called "I Know/The Story Ends (haven't finalized the title yet).

11 HanSom on Soundclick

Anyway, comments will be much appreciated. Thanks!
post edited by rodman1971 - 2005/04/17 14:04:05

11 Replies Related Threads

pilfa
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 410
    RE: I Know - Pop Rock 2005/04/18 10:39:52 (permalink)
    can only listen in on headphones. Mix seemed quite good. Snare sound not too my liking wrong kinda sound. When hitting a crash cymbal you really need a bass drum hit with it. Seems empty without it.

It feels to me that another heavier guitar needs to come in before the break at 2 mins. And also again at the end. Feels like it is just waiting to get going but then never does, Thats just my opinion though.
    rodman1971
    RE: I Know - Pop Rock 2005/04/18 11:07:46 (permalink)
    Hey Pilfa, thanks for listening. I'll experiment with adding a bass kick with the cymbals to see if that helps. As far as the "... it wants to get going but never does" comment, I know what you're saying. I've been wanting this tune to pick up at the bridge ever since it became a song but I haven't been happy with anything I've tried. I experimenting with adding some synths to see if that helps it build a bit, but I'll definitely look at a heavy guitar. Thanks again.
    Sonic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1517
    RE: I Know - Pop Rock 2005/04/18 13:12:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rodman1971

Hey Pilfa, thanks for listening. I'll experiment with adding a bass kick with the cymbals to see if that helps. As far as the "... it wants to get going but never does" comment, I know what you're saying. I've been wanting this tune to pick up at the bridge ever since it became a song but I haven't been happy with anything I've tried. I experimenting with adding some synths to see if that helps it build a bit, but I'll definitely look at a heavy guitar. Thanks again.

Bringing in a solid 2 and 4 snare would do wonders for the chorus.
    If you have an FTP site, upload the Sonar BUN file and I'll add synths and remix.
    For free.

The best is always yet to come. Now...shut up and make some noise!
    A small sample of my music... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/turtlebend2.htm
    rodman1971
    RE: I Know - Pop Rock 2005/04/18 13:42:10 (permalink)
    Thanks for the offer Sonic. I'll definitely take you up on it. I'll check to see what I have to do to get you a BUN file from Sonar - haven't done that yet. I do most of my recording in Tracktion and then bring it into Sonar for mixing and FX so I'm not the most nimble at it yet. I'll upload something later today or tomorrow and let you know. In the meantime it looks like I have some work to do on the drum parts. I assume by "2 and 4 snare" you mean the 2nd and 4th beats?
    Sonic
    RE: I Know - Pop Rock 2005/04/18 13:50:40 (permalink)

Thanks for the offer Sonic. I'll definitely take you up on it. I'll check to see what I have to do to get you a BUN file from Sonar - haven't done that yet. I do most of my recording in Tracktion and then bring it into Sonar for mixing and FX so I'm not the most nimble at it yet. I'll upload something later today or tomorrow and let you know. In the meantime it looks like I have some work to do on the drum parts. I assume by "2 and 4 snare" you mean the 2nd and 4th beats?

Yup. It'll really help on the chorus.
    Create and name a new folder, and save your project as a Cakewalk .bun file into it. You'll see it under your 'save' options. Make sure to save audio(which it might do already) with the project. Upload it to an FTP and send me the details and I'll grab it and have some fun with it.
    My email addy is sonicNOmmm@SPAMgteDOTnet
    Remove the NO SPAM and put the dot where it should be and I'll get it.
    Peace...

jsykes
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    RE: I Know - Pop Rock 2005/04/18 21:44:21 (permalink)
    Rodman:

I enjoyed the balance of the guitars in this song. Def. a good use of the stereo field.
    As far as taking the song somewhere, I liked the floating melody in my left headphone that rises twice in the song. (first time after "Too hard to move so I don't even try ... I know) I think that could rise to a ripping crescendo a la Sonic Youth, etc. Or the volume swell after that ... have it rock before going back to the mellow two note deal. Think Hum's Why I Like the Robbins. This is reminiscent of their work.

What ever you decide, this is a good song and well recorded and mixed.

Jeff
    rodman1971
    RE: I Know - Pop Rock 2005/04/19 06:07:55 (permalink)
    Jeff, thanks for the comments. I'm a huge Sonic Youth fan so I'll definitely keep that in mind in my future experimentation.

Sonic, I added the snares you mentioned in the chorus and it makes a big difference. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll be making a bundel file to FTP to you today. Stay tuned...

Thanks
    Sonic
    RE: I Know - Pop Rock 2005/04/19 09:07:23 (permalink)

Jeff, thanks for the comments. I'm a huge Sonic Youth fan so I'll definitely keep that in mind in my future experimentation.

Sonic, I added the snares you mentioned in the chorus and it makes a big difference. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll be making a bundel file to FTP to you today. Stay tuned...

Thanks

Cool! Do you have an FTP site available?
    post edited by Sonic - 2005/04/19 09:09:30

rodman1971
    RE: I Know - Pop Rock 2005/04/19 09:16:51 (permalink)
    Yes, I can use my work's FTP. I'll email you with the details. I'll be bundling the Sonar file soon.
    Sonic
    RE: I Know - Pop Rock 2005/04/19 09:32:21 (permalink)

Yes, I can use my work's FTP. I'll email you with the details. I'll be bundling the Sonar file soon.

Right on.

rodman1971
    RE: I Know - Pop Rock 2005/04/19 12:28:41 (permalink)
    I just uploaded a tweaked version of this song to Soundclick. It includes additional snares on the chorus as suggested by Sonic. It's a subtle change but it helps set off the chorus from the rest of the song. Thanks Sonic.

I Know (The Story Ends) @ 11 HanSom on Soundclick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1