I finished my 1959 Fender 5E3 Build

Author
DarrylCoy
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 774
2005/05/15 14:54:41 (permalink)

I finished my 1959 Fender 5E3 Build

I finished my 5E3 build (see avatar). Yea! It doesn't sound half bad. I need to experiment some more.

Picture of the kit
Picture of completed amp
Left Side of Chassis
Right Side of Chassis
Tag Board
Tag Board (backside)
Chassis & Cabinet

Darryl
post edited by DarrylCoy - 2005/09/02 20:21:12

18 Replies Related Threads

johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: I finished by 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/05/16 04:17:30 (permalink)
    Cool Darryl. One of us finished a project. Have you gigged with it yet? I still want to build that Torres, but I been busy with my band and stablizing my DAW. Congradulations on a job well done. Any new lessons learned? Post if you got any.......................JDW
    DarrylCoy
    RE: I finished by 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/05/16 12:30:29 (permalink)
    Have you gigged with it yet? I still want to build that Torres, but I been busy with my band and stablizing my DAW. Congradulations on a job well done. Any new lessons learned?

Hey John,

Thank you. This amp is ~15watts & it has very little headroom, therefore, I think the only way to make the amp gig-able is to mike it. So, it's not the ideal gig-able amp, but it should be a very nice recording amp.

The key takeaway (for me) is to set your tone expectations properly. There are many variables to tube tone. For example, the tubes, transfomers and speakers play a major role in the tone and it is mostly trial and error to get the sound you want.

What is a Torres? How about an 18 watt Marshall (they sound awesome)?

Darryl
    johndale
    RE: I finished by 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/05/16 13:28:20 (permalink)
    Is it Cathode Bias? My Boogie is onlt 18 watts and I work 200 seat rooms with it/no micing. I have an old SM57 and I mic it other placea. I think you would be surprised. My other good amp, a Soldano Astroverb is only 20 watts. It's typical Soldano Class A/B though. I like the Boogie better (No comment). My extra/loaner/spare/make shift table amp is a PV Bandit, I've had a good 25 years. That amp just been everywhere. It's 50 watts. What I'm getting at is the Boogie is the least watts and loudest. I mean I was a Marshall sort of guy for 10 years. But the quality of the Boogie just sits in the mix and cuts through when needed. Try it. What do you play through live now? I think your new amp will surprise you if it's Cathode Bias..................................JDW
    Bamboo
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: I finished by 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/05/16 14:43:51 (permalink)
    Nice looking Tweed Deluxe! Whose kit is that?

I just got a weber 6M18 kit (similar to Marshall 18 watt) on Saturday. So far, got the board done. Hope to get her up an running in 2-3 weeks. It's not a true clone, but the tones should be close to a Marshall 18 watter. We'll see... If not, then it's pretty easy to build another board and get a Graydon or S2 output tranny to get closer to the traditional 18watter tone. One thing about the weber kits, they are a tremendous value. The kit was 650 bones, and it comes with two $170 Weber alnico speakers, and a $300 cabinet. It's like getting all the chassis, planels, passives, and transformers for free. But, they are geared for folks who have some knowledge of building an amp as there is no support or instructions. I've built several JTM45 and Plexi clones, and this is the first build I've done where I didn't source my own parts. It's very nice to open the box and have everything you need to make an amp!

DarrylCoy
    RE: I finished by 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/05/16 18:54:07 (permalink)
    What do you play through live now? I think your new amp will surprise you if it's Cathode Bias.

John,

It's been a long time since I've played live. Yes, the amp is cathode bias.

I've had the amp totally cranked (in my bedroom/homestudio with doors and windows shut). My next door neighbor (our houses are ~20' away) mentioned to me the next day: "So, I didn't know you played guitar". This was a polite message to turn it down. So you're right, I might be surprised. The amp breaks up early so my concern would be getting a clean sound at a loud volume at a gig.

Take Care, Darryl

post edited by DarrylCoy - 2005/05/16 23:02:50
    johndale
    RE: I finished by 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/05/16 19:23:58 (permalink)
    Hey Darryl
    Have you ever considered changing preamp tubes to get more what you like? Instead of a 12AX7 use a 12AT7, 12AY7 or a 12AU7. I keep a box of tubes around as it seams there are a lot factors in the character of the sound/tone. I find temp and humidity have an amazing impact on your tone. I switch preamp tubes as they seem to give me what I need.
    When I feel like my tone is harsh. Just an idea. I could be full of ____, but I do see a difference................JDW
    DarrylCoy
    RE: I finished by 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/05/16 22:51:03 (permalink)
    Nice looking Tweed Deluxe! Whose kit is that?

Bamboo,

The kit is from STF Electronics. STF uses a chassis from Weber and a cabinet from Mojo. I purchased a 12" 30 watt 12A125-O alnico speaker from Weber.

the weber kits, they are a tremendous value. The kit was 650 bones, and it comes with two $170 Weber alnico speakers, and a $300 cabinet.

The Weber 18watt package sounds like a good deal. Please post sound clips when you're done.

Thank you, Darryl
    DarrylCoy
    RE: I finished by 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/05/16 22:59:45 (permalink)
    Instead of a 12AX7 use a 12AT7, 12AY7 or a 12AU7.

John,

Thank you for your recommendation. I will buy some different preamp tubes and see what happens.

Many Thanks, Darryl
    pgw
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 705
    RE: I finished my 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/06/01 03:39:59 (permalink)
    Nice one!
    Congratulations!
    Agree with JDW experiment with your preamp-tubes.
    If my memory doesn´t let me down I think the original preamp-tubes should be 12AY7´s.

In my similar custom-preamp I like a 12AU7(ECC82) in 1:st position & a 12AT7(ECC81)in the second.
    If the preamp isn´t clean enough you might want to experiment with larger cathode-resistors on the preamp-tubes(these are the ones connected to ground,with a capacitor in parallell(I´m satisfied with the stock 820 Ohm,but you can easily go up to 4,7kOhm -too clean IMO).

If the amp is too loud(is this possible?-apparently,according to your neighbour),you could try 6K6-tubes(original driver-tube in the Fender standalone-reverb-nowadays substituted with a 6V6) instead of the 6V6´s(both weaker cousin´s of the 6L6).

Windows 10 (LTSB) - i7 8700 - ASUS GTX1060 -16 GB Corsair Vengeance - Samsung SSD´s - Seagate HD´s - RME FF400 - & too many geetars & amps
    johndale
    RE: I finished my 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/06/01 03:46:27 (permalink)
    I just bought one of those 10 watt retro looking Class "A" Epiphones used. I got $90 bucks in the sucker. I'm either going to get electrocuted or learn a lot about cathode bias amplifier construction. I'm going to hot rod untill it sounds great or blows up. Or maybe like I was saying get fried from not knowing what I'm doing completely................JDW
    pgw
    RE: I finished my 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/06/01 09:35:13 (permalink)
    Well John,don´t forget to unplug the amp from the wall -I find your posts far too amusing to let you get electrocuted.

Also remember that the caps store electricity -don´t touch the big one´s -if you want to be safe unplug the amp from the wall,put the powerswitch in the "on"-position with the speaker plugged in,this way the caps will discharge over night.

Read a little Gerald Weber(my hero for demystifying amps).

I haven´t looked inside one of those Epi´s,but it should be a great little experiment /recording-amp -get the soldering-iron warm & have some fun -there´s no magic or rocketscience inside an amp.

BTW a "hot tip" -from my own experience I know you should look at which end of the iron you put your fingers when you pick it up........

Windows 10 (LTSB) - i7 8700 - ASUS GTX1060 -16 GB Corsair Vengeance - Samsung SSD´s - Seagate HD´s - RME FF400 - & too many geetars & amps
    DarrylCoy
    RE: I finished my 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/06/01 10:23:36 (permalink)
    Nice one!
    Congratulations!
    Agree with JDW experiment with your preamp-tubes.
    If my memory doesn´t let me down I think the original preamp-tubes should be 12AY7´s.

Thanks pgw,

BTW, I had a friend go to a HAM radio convention and he picked up a number of different pre-amp tubes for me to play around with plus I ordered more tubes from tube depot. Now I have to add tubes to the gear list.

I plugged in a used National 12AY7 into V1 and it seemed to make the amp more musical right before the amp starts to break up. I plugged in an old 12AX7 into V1 and had the original Electro Harmonix 12Ax7/6072 in V2 and the amp started to squel when I turned the tone knob up past 6. So, it sounds like the old 12Ax7 I have is bad.

BTW, the recording I posted above can be improved. I mounted my SM57 on a box in front of the amp. I don't have a mike stand that works low for guitar amps. The box blocked about half of the speaker, which can't be that good since I'm blocking half of the air coming out of the amp. I don't know what I was thinking?

Darryl
    post edited by DarrylCoy - 2005/06/01 10:27:33
    johndale
    RE: I finished my 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/06/01 12:39:42 (permalink)
    Well John,don´t forget to unplug the amp from the wall -I find your posts far too amusing to let you get electrocuted.

I have also heard if you unplug the amp while playing, it discharges the thing. Could be an old bald headed guys tale though (Have you noticed, experianced Electrictions are usually bald)

Also remember that the caps store electricity -don´t touch the big one´s -if you want to be safe unplug the amp from the wall,put the powerswitch in the "on"-position with the speaker plugged in,this way the caps will discharge over night.

Cap = Capacitor. I've experianced light shows with those things. I know what they are. If not a schematic is first on my list. (Should be anyhow)

BTW a "hot tip" -from my own experience I know you should look at which end of the iron you put your fingers when you pick it up........

Oh yeah, Been making cords since I was 9. Nowadays I'm just not going to pay the price for the cheaply constructed wires they call "Pro Cords". It will be a cold day in hell before I pay $167.00 for a guitar cord. I seen one at that price the other day. I own a large PA, that I built and 900 watts of Par cans, dimmers, 4 scene, 32 channel board and asso. gear. I should be alright. For some reason, something I can't see bothers me. I've gotten bit a few times. But I still have my hair.

BTW, I had a friend go to a HAM radio convention and he picked up a number of different pre-amp tubes for me to play around with plus I ordered more tubes from tube depot. Now I have to add tubes to the gear list.

It's not to bad. Once you get a collection you'll find out what you like and don't. Tubes taken care of can last a while. I got a pretty good sized box of them.

I plugged in a used National 12AY7 into V1 and it seemed to make the amp more musical right before the amp starts to break up. I plugged in an old 12AX7 into V1 and had the original Electro Harmonix 12Ax7/6072 in V2 and the amp started to squel when I turned the tone knob up past 6. So, it sounds like the old 12Ax7 I have is bad.

Yeah, that sounds like microphonic feedback.

BTW, the recording I posted above can be improved. I mounted my SM57 on a box in front of the amp. I don't have a mike stand that works low for guitar amps. The box blocked about half of the speaker, which can't be that good since I'm blocking half of the air coming out of the amp. I don't know what I was thinking?

Musicians Friend has a little 18" stand with 2' boom for @ $15. Thats what I use, both studio and stage.
    ...............................................................................JDW
    pgw
    RE: I finished my 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/06/05 10:54:50 (permalink)
    Could be an old bald headed guys tale though (Have you noticed, experianced Electrictions are usually bald)

Yup! -or they have Robin-Hood-hairstyles(take from the rich -give to the poor)LOL

Oh yeah, Been making cords since I was 9. Nowadays I'm just not going to pay the price for the cheaply constructed wires they call "Pro Cords". It will be a cold day in hell before I pay $167.00 for a guitar cord.

Ditto!-well,since I was 12 anyway,also have most of my hair left,but some of my nosehairs are turning white...

Congrats to your "tubecollection",that is a good way to get some nice-sounding tubes,also don´t shy away from used tubes-they don´t have to be NOS to sound good.
    I have a distant friend who works at an electronics recycling-center -visiting him at work,digging in their "garbage-bin"has given me quitea bunch of nice sounding used tubes.(Radio´s are usually constructed far from the tubes theoretical maximum effect -thus not wearing them out at the same rate a guitar-amp would)
    Personally I´d toss the "squealer" away(or put it somwhere not so critical,i.e.use it in a tremolocircuit or something similar),but if you REALLY like the character of this particular tube,you could try putting a tubeshield on -might help or it might not...

Don´t forget the most important thing HAVE FUN!!!

johndale
    RE: I finished my 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/06/05 16:59:16 (permalink)
    Yeah, I got a whole closet of what my wife call's "Dusty old junk". My statement always is "Don't touch that, I might need that someday or do you relize that is an original 1963 Mullard tube". Or "hey honey, pull over. Is that wire hanging out of that dumpster" Another one would be "Hey make a U-ee, that old TV set has got tubes still in it"....................JDW
    pgw
    RE: I finished my 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/06/06 04:59:32 (permalink)
    Yeah, I got a whole closet of what my wife call's "Dusty old junk"
    Seems like women are the same all around the world......

johndale
    RE: I finished my 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/06/06 08:11:56 (permalink)
    Seems like women are the same all around the world......

Yes, Their speicies has some percular traits. Do you ever get "What if something happened to you, what would I do with all this crap" I do. I told ny fine lady to. Call every musician in my book, get a keg of beer, crank up some dixieland (a-la Nah awlins) and have a giant yard sale. Then bury me with a bottleneck on my finger, a joint in my mouth and a pick in my fingers....................JDW

Edit: Final song being. Robert Johnson's "Hellhound on my trail"
    post edited by johndale - 2005/06/06 08:15:11
    pgw
    RE: I finished my 1959 Fender 5E3 Build 2005/06/07 12:06:11 (permalink)
    Yes, Their speicies has some percular traits. Do you ever get "What if something happened to you, what would I do with all this crap" I do. I told ny fine lady to. Call every musician in my book, get a keg of beer, crank up some dixieland (a-la Nah awlins) and have a giant yard sale. Then bury me with a bottleneck on my finger, a joint in my mouth and a pick in my fingers....................JDW

Edit: Final song being. Robert Johnson's "Hellhound on my trail"

Sounds like a nice funeral John -the only pity is not being able to participate...

I remember hearing a story from my homevillage -the party got so intense,they found the "guest of honour" 3 days later -among the sheep....

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1