Fugue

Author
Aslan
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2005/05/20 14:02:00 (permalink)

Fugue

Here's something I add a few measures to from time to time: Fugue. Probably not following all of the rules, but it's a fun exercise.

11 Replies Related Threads

gugliel
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Fugue 2005/05/20 18:21:36 (permalink)
    Very exciting -- unfinished sounding, keep adding measures! The reverb is maybe a bit too much, and there could be a little relief from the excitement in an episode or two. By 'breaking the rules' you use up harmonic space more quickly than might be necessary -- could you rein yourself in at about 0:10 and keep to the key a little longer, giving a counter-exposition and then a first episode before heading away into the horizon harmonically? One -- of the many -- beauties of fugue is the opportunity for dramatic contrast under the heading of episode. The trills, toward the end of your excerpt, don't work so well for me.

I happen to love fugues so, for me, please keep posting.

www.soundclick.com/guglielmo
    jeffn1
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 906
    RE: Fugue 2005/05/20 20:01:26 (permalink)
    Thanks, I absolutely love it! (I guess I don't love the trill either--actually I always was my less favorite part of Bach pieces).

jeffn1

If you would like to check out original progressive electronic rock, here it is:

http://www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness
    zgraf
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 350
    RE: Fugue 2005/05/20 23:59:36 (permalink)
    Very nice, as the other posters have said. As "gugliel" said, it does kind of end on an "unfinished" note, so hope you will continue adding to it.
    Without understanding anything about classical music theory, I think it's remarkable that a piece can consist of just a single instrument (organ) -- and yet contain so much intricacy and variation that it can fully captivate one's interest...
    reallifer
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 236
    RE: Fugue 2005/05/21 00:16:56 (permalink)
    That ended WAY too soon. Hurry up and finish! I enjoyed studying conterpoint and really enjoyed this piece of your piece. I like the trill idea but not the sustained trill. A sustained note might be just as effective.
    Troy
    dave_c
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Fugue 2005/05/21 11:18:05 (permalink)
    gugliel,

Thanks for your input.

...there could be a little relief from the excitement in an episode or two.

I'm not sure what an episode is--I need to learn more about what a fugue actually is...

By 'breaking the rules' you use up harmonic space more quickly than might be necessary -- could you rein yourself in at about 0:10 and keep to the key a little longer, giving a counter-exposition and then a first episode before heading away into the horizon harmonically?

I understand your comment about the key change right in the opening of the piece--it's not necessary at all. I'm going to try removing the trills.

At one point, this was twice as long as it currently is, but I lost the second half to a hard disk crash. Fortunately, I had this part of it backed up, and was able to import into Sonar. I'm still amazed by the sounds that you can get from VSampler. The organ sample was a freebie, and it sounds great to me.
    gugliel
    RE: Fugue 2005/05/21 11:21:29 (permalink)
    You probably know all this somewhere in your cells, sounds like it in the music, anyway -- an episode is a part of a fugue where the theme is NOT being heard, gives the re-entry of the theme more import.

M
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1516
    RE: Fugue 2005/05/21 11:33:58 (permalink)
    I understand your comment about the key change right in the opening of the piece--it's not
    necessary at all. I'm going to try removing the trills.

Dave, are you using multiple screen names, then?

The key changes are characteristic of the genre - they sounded "right" to me. Another personal opinion: I liked the trills when they came up! It definitely didn't seem out of place to me.

This was fun. I immediately started it again when it ended. Occasionally, I've threatened to go back to some classical studies, myself; I'm impressed that you're actually doing it!

Cool exercise.

M
    gugliel
    RE: Fugue 2005/05/21 12:27:02 (permalink)
    As to what M said -- yes, the key changes sound fine, really -- my only thought was that you might have shortened the life of your fugue by moving so far harmonically so fast.

dave_c
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Fugue 2005/05/21 20:30:51 (permalink)
    Yes, I was trying to log in from work, and couldn't remember my password. Tried to go through a password change, but never received the final email in the process. My original handle was dave_c. Obviously, I was able to get that ID working again.

Yeah, I've found this to be a cool exercise. I've always loved Bach, and grew up hearing great organ sounds every Sunday morning. My primary area of interest is Jazz; I'm thinking of trying to take some of the principles that go into writing a piece like this and use them with extended harmonies. I really like what Lyle Mays did in his piece "The Slink"--very contrapuntal and very, very cool.
    hragan
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: Fugue 2005/05/26 12:16:43 (permalink)
    I enjoyed this very much! I sincerely love this style of music and it's encouraging to see people still working on it. Keep up the good work!

-Wray

'Positive-Vibe Folk-Influenced Craziness'
    http://www.soundclick.com/wray/

'Get YOUR MUSIC reviewed @'
    http://board.wraymusic.com
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    RE: Fugue 2005/05/26 14:45:51 (permalink)
    That is cool... It like it!

I'm 50/50 on the trills myself. I think they kind of fit, but perhaps they're not as defined as they could be. But I'm not sure that a real pipe organ could be all the defined anyway...

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1