Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones + REVIEW

Author
oroboros
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 901
2005/05/24 03:56:35 (permalink)

Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones + REVIEW

Normally I wouldn't post something like this - plus I don't want to appear like a pimp for your credit card company - but this deal is simply too good for me not to share. I'm an admitted headphone man, and the deal on these two FACTORY-reconditioned Sennheiser headphones is simply amazing. They come with a 2 year warranty from the factory, and are both over 50% off --- and for high-end Sennheisers, that's a lot of scratch (hundreds). Even on sale you're not going to find prices like this.

There are two models to choose from, the ultra high-end HD600 (there's only one model higher and it's built with the same base speakers as this one, but better cables + pairing + drivers) and the still high-end HD590 (amazing deal for $100!). If you're in the market for a good deal, and have been wanting a pair of headphones lately, this may be your day. Don't know how many are left, but I got mine.

Yes, you should technically try before you buy, everyone has different musical tastes, Sennheisers have their fans and detractors, some people prefer the warmth of Grados, all headphones sound better with pre-amps, a good headphone will not compensate for a bad system, blah blah blah blah blah ... but ... it's still a damned good deal any way you look at it. Listen, I'm just bringing it to your attention --- I'm not pushing your buy button. Use prudence, choose responsibly, etc.

I found the original thread for this here. People who have received them have said that they look brand-new-in-box and sound like factory originals.

Factory-Reconditioned Sennheiser HD600 Over-Ear Open Dynamic Hi-Fi Professional Stereo Headphones
List Price: $449.99
Buy: $189.94 (58% off)

Factory-Reconditioned Sennheiser HD590 Full Size Headphones
List Price: $269.99
Buy: $105.00 (61% off)
post edited by oroboros - 2005/06/06 23:08:37

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum

21 Replies Related Threads

Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/24 08:54:13 (permalink)
    man...I just love your new avatar, Oro!!
    Mididreamer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/24 11:31:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: oroboros

Factory-Reconditioned Sennheiser HD590 Full Size Headphones
    List Price: $269.99
    Buy: $105.00 (61% off)

Mine HD590 works fine, only they are not reconditioned cans. But you can make make brand new music with both

My music: https://soundcloud.com/midimine
    Sonar, Reason, Live, Project5, Fruityloops, Cubase / maschine 2/ Komplete /Intel i7 3770/ Asus Maximus V /Oxygen 8 V2/ Oxygen 61/ Novation Zero SL /Windows 10 / 64 

Komplete Audio 6
    oroboros
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/24 20:31:48 (permalink)
    Thanks, DA. It's supposed to show the power of P5, while also being a subtle dig at the 'brightness' of the new interface ... ironic hidden meaning. Plus I'm a web guy, so I have all the tools.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    triscuit
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1860
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/24 21:07:13 (permalink)
    These are not reference headphones are they?
    oroboros
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/24 21:35:02 (permalink)
    I think the HD600's can be considered "reference", yes. At least as reference as headphones can theoretically get. You'll never get the true bass feel, regardless of brand. "Genuine" reference is monitor speaker only, but that's darned expensive. I don't have 20+ grand laying around.

Senn's are usually a little light in the bass department, but with better quality at the higher-end. Classical, vocals, or Moby electronica music, for example. Grados are known for their "kick" and warm punch. Rock-n-roll, rap, or drum-and-bass electronica, for example. High model Senn, Grado, AKG and Stax models are more or less as reference as headphones can get. Preference is, as always, user dependant. I'd say the HD600's are the beginning of "reference" quality, but I'm sure others might have differing opinions on this.

The Other P5 Forum
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/24 22:13:30 (permalink)
    Yes, it's very cool!

ORIGINAL: Digital Aura

man...I just love your new avatar, Oro!!

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    oroboros
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/24 23:38:43 (permalink)
    Redwing Series - Cherokee Test - 5/21/1956 - 3.8 Megaton - Airdrop - Pacific Proving Ground

yes, I'm a geek
    post edited by oroboros - 2005/05/24 23:41:05

The Other P5 Forum
    Tripecac
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1702
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/25 11:23:12 (permalink)
    Those are great deals.

I use a pair of 580s with my desktop. They sound much better, and are much more comfortable than the $50 phones I'm currently using with my laptop. I'd love to have a good pair of headphones for my laptop.

I'm curious about how much better the 600s sound from the 590s. Has anyone compared them? If we're listening to Project5's synths, would the difference be lost on us? (like drinking cheap table wine from a glass vs cup)
    post edited by Tripecac - 2005/05/25 17:19:35
    triscuit
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1860
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/25 16:48:12 (permalink)

I think the HD600's can be considered "reference", yes. At least as reference as headphones get....

I don't know because they say hi-fi in the description I'm wary because that usually means that they boost different frequencies to try to find an overly smooth feel.
    Tripecac
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/25 18:41:13 (permalink)
    Been reading HD600 and HD590 reviews. Sounds like the HD600s are the ones to get.

But here's the yucky part:

1) cable upgrades
    2) headphone amplifier
    3) source equipment

Everyone's recommending getting cable upgrades for the HD600s. The cheapest cables (Clou) are $120, but people say those are too stiff and don't sound much better than the "stock" cables. This leaves $150 and $180 cables. I haven't been able to find them for less then $150. Ugh! So $190 headphones plus $150 cables equals $340...

But then there's the headphone amplifier issue. People say the HD600s probably won't sound very good on a portable or computer w/o amplification. Headphone amps are pricey!!! We can expect to spend a couple hundred dollars for a decent one. So that's $200.

And also, what about the source equipment? My desktop has a Delta44 and an OMNI I/O, but I already have nice headphones (HD580s) for the desktop, and don't plan to upgrade them. Instead, I'm planning to use the new headphones with my laptop, which has a so-so onboard sound card and an Edirol PCR-A30 audio interface. I don't regard either of those audio sources as "hi-fi", which means I'll be tempted to buy a new audio interface for the laptop... just to "take advantage of" the headphones. So how much is a good laptop audio interface? Another couple hundred bucks? Let's say $200.

So, you know, it gets crazy. $190 for HD600s turns into $190 + $150 + $200 + $200 = $740

That's nuts, nuts, nuts!

Of course, maybe most of us would do a "partial" upgrade. Maybe just the cable upgrade, or just the headphone amp. But still, that's $340 or $390 and we wouldn't be getting the full quality of the HD600s. It'll be an itch that many of us will feel compelled to scratch.

Hmmm.

So, I'm sure I'm not the only one who googled HD590 and HD600 today. What sort of conclusions did y'all reach? Are you gonna buy?
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/25 19:13:32 (permalink)
    oroboros
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/27 03:47:53 (permalink)
    they say hi-fi in the description

"Hi-Fi" is a term amazon stuck on the headphones, not Sennheiser. These Senns are about as neutral as the come, according to all the reviews I've read. They are arguably one of the 10 best headphones in the world ... really. Don't take my word for it, google it and see for yourself. BUT ... they aren't going to compensate for a poor system ... or bad ears ... the weakest part of my system ...

I'm not going to get into the cable/amplifier/source thing. It never ends, we all know that. Music equipment or software. But you don't have to buy it all at once. Plus a good pair of headphones still beats a bad pair. Of course, two hundred bucks is still $200, that I completely understand.

As for the Grado issue, I already covered that one. When I can afford a pair of 325's or MS2's - or they're on sale - I'll add them to my collection, too. Different flavor, also exquisite. Also expensive.

The Other P5 Forum
    Tripecac
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/27 09:30:29 (permalink)
    I ended up getting HD590 instead of HD600 because:

1) HD590 were only $105 - $30 credit card = $75 (plus tax, since I live in WA)
    2) I won't feel (as) compelled to update the cable/amp/source as with HD600
    3) HD590 are (supposedly) more comfortable than HD600
    Mididreamer
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/27 13:15:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Tripecac

I ended up getting HD590 instead of HD600 because:

1) HD590 were only $105 - $30 credit card = $75 (plus tax, since I live in WA)
    2) I won't feel (as) compelled to update the cable/amp/source as with HD600
    3) HD590 are (supposedly) more comfortable than HD600

Good choice & nice price, enjoy the broad musical spectrum

Sonar, Reason, Live, Project5, Fruityloops, Cubase / maschine 2/ Komplete /Intel i7 3770/ Asus Maximus V /Oxygen 8 V2/ Oxygen 61/ Novation Zero SL /Windows 10 / 64 

Komplete Audio 6
    oroboros
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/28 20:59:58 (permalink)
    I hope you aren't disappointed. The difference between the two probably isn't much (law of diminishing returns, etc). Can't lose with either, both are a good bargains ($75 for 3rd from top Senns!), especially if you're keen on neutral sound. And they're both 'open' so they're easier on the ears, too. Mine shipped Friday.

Remember, good headphones need at least 100 hours of 'burn-in' before they become 'set' in how they're actually going to sound. Some people even swear you need a year. Keep them hooked up to the stereo while you're at work for a couple of days / weeks to expedite this, but give them a chance to cool down periodically (like nights, say).

Good luck on your pair. My own honest assessment forthcoming ... (inhale ...)

The Other P5 Forum
    ustudio
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/29 08:09:32 (permalink)
    yeah cool avitar
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/29 08:43:37 (permalink)
    Remember, good headphones need at least 100 hours of 'burn-in' before they become 'set' in how they're actually going to sound. Some people even swear you need a year. Keep them hooked up to the stereo while you're at work for a couple of days / weeks to expedite this, but give them a chance to cool down periodically (like nights, say).
    Really good point, Oroboros, and one that you don't often see in print. The same advice goes for reference monitors. These are physical elements moving in real space, and they need to 'flex' enough to settle into a predictable frequency response. I've tried speeding up the process, and it seems that just leaving them on isn't as beneficial as running actual program material through them.

It's a subtle distinction that we're discussing, but running low-level signals through them while away seems to help somewhat. It's just not the same as the workout that speaker/headphone elements get at usual monitoring levels with the expected excursions derived from program material. It's also worth noting that this is a separate process from "electronics" burn-in, where you're looking for that component failure that might occur early on.

Whatever you do, don't try to explain this process to a non-musician "civilian". They'll do their best to invoke the 'Baker Act' on you.
    harmony gardens
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3490
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/29 09:19:24 (permalink)
    How would you rate Sony MDR-7506's in compairison? I've been using a couple of pair of them, and they are getting pretty worn now. I've been really happy with them, but I should think about at least one new pair. Thoughts?
    tclark
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1525
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones 2005/05/30 14:11:37 (permalink)
    I use a pair of BOSE Quietcomfort headphones. Might not sound amazing, but to me, they are wicked. (i use them coz my dad bought them and they r there :D *skanky* )

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=qc2_headphones_index&pageName=/home_entertainment/headphones_headsets/index.jsp

i dunno how they compare

T

oroboros
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones + REVIEW 2005/06/06 23:03:53 (permalink)
    (...exhale)

harmony, don't know about those Sonys in particular, though Sonys usually gets good reviews. To find out from better experts than me, check out head-fi.org (you must become a member in order to do a search, but anyone can cruise). Sony's are usually said to be a little "bright" in comparison to other high-end phones, meaning louder than nominal at the high end, but overall very good. If you like them, get a new pair in the same line. Senns are darker, mostly, than Sonys.

b-rock, when I said plugged in, I didn't mean just plugged in, but having them playing a live radio station or a looped CD, at standard volume, for the plants/pets/walls to listen to while you're gone, for example. Playin' - pushin' air, not just cookin' - warmin' the room. Movin' the magnets. That's what I meant.

Okay, I got them, and have been listening to them for awhile, burning them in. Since I started this post, I feel it my duty to give an honest assessment of what they're like. So here goes ...

First off, a chain fails at its weakest link. If you're listening to an expensive pair of headphones through a boom box, well, they're not going to help the sound much. Save your money. Also, you won't hear much of a difference listening to the radio or mp3s ... the source material isn't giving you enough to work with here. Well-recorded CDs or software programs (like P5) or SACDs or DVD Audio are the only things that will create any sort of discernable difference. I mention this in part because my "system" that I'm using these phones on is an Audigy 2ZS soundcard in a PC. Yeah, blah, blah, blah, I know. It was a good deal, I grabbed 'em, and I bought them primarily to make music - which I do on a computer - not to listen to music on a dedicated stereo system. Thus this review in the P5 forum, and not on audiophile.bla or something.

Second, of my bevy of headphones (6?) - of which the Senns are admittedly now the nicest - I am using my ~$50 AKG K-66s as the primary "standard good" comparator here. The AKGs are a very competent headphone for the price, with nice bass, and a warm, rich sound - and, I'm wildly guessing, probably reflect the average price of headphones that most people reading this post have. Also, they were the primary phones I was using on my computer, before.

Third, I know for a fact that these headphones are yawning at what I'm feeding them - these can take way more than I can give them at the moment. They are probably, in retrospect, overkill for the system I have (duh). But I also know they'll last me a long time, and that THEY will never be the weakest link in my chain.

Senn Positives:

Clearer ... I'd say about 30% clearer (note my "system", however, when I say this). Is this worth about 8X retail the price, or 4X refurbished the price of the AKGs, for 30% more clarity? I don't know, you tell me. My perception also might not be your perception.

Having said that, I have heard instruments in songs I never knew were there. Some songs even sound quite different now. While a $50 pair of headphones will give you the general nature of a sound, they won't bring out its subtleties or clarities. Example: listening through the AKGs, cymbals sound like high pitched pink noise. I wouldn't have described it that way before, but I do now. With the new Senns, they sound like cymbals. Cymbals. Clear, distinct cymbals. TING-TING-TING. Not STENG-STENG-STENG. High-spectrum sounds, like claps or the metal bits of a drum kit (you're right, I don't know what they're called), are in a world of their own - this is where the Senns shine best. The lows go deeper, are more accurate - but are not as loud, not as "powerful" sounding (which can be good ... sometimes). Mids actually sound nearly identical between the two, to my ears. So some songs sound quite a bit different, while others don't. It's interesting.

Using the AKGs, each instrument is somewhat blended together - it's harder to tell where one ends and another begins. It's as if the sound is being delivered through the headphones as a single unceasing left to right band. With the Sinns, each instrument has it's own distinct space - with a virtual "pocket of air" between them and the other surrounding instruments.

With the AKGs, sound placement feels as if it's coming from almost the center of your head, maybe a half an inch between instruments, whereas with the Senns, it feels as if the instrument sounds are coming from distinct places, several inches from the center of your head, about where your skull is. A weird descriptive, but accurate.

A lot of headphones deliberately deliver inaccurate sound. Many are imbued with "loudness" - meaning they impart more sound in the low and high range than is actually there (amplitude, not quality), "punching up" your songs - or on even cheaper pairs, can tend to exaggerate the vocal "mid" section. The Senns do not do this. And because of this, some music actually sounds flatter, blander, colder. But, it also means I can listen to the Senns all day long without discomfort, my ears don't feel pummeled after a couple of hours - something I can't say about the AKGs.

Also, as a result - and this is a great thing I never would have guessed - a lot less VST presets sound good. Which is a good thing, because it pairs down the choices I now have of how to screw up a song. Basically, if it sounds good through the Senns, then it will sound good everywhere else. I'm amazed at how many synth sounds I liked previously that now sound flat or thin to me, without the additional "false" warmth that the AKGs were giving to them. Bonus!

Negatives:

The HD 600's sound ... cold. Clinically cold. Reference ... perhaps. They merely put out what they're fed. No "enhancements". As a result, bass and treble sound "softer", not as much perceived sonic pressure - but more accurate, clearer. An odd combination, frankly. I know it's technically cleaner sound, but my mind is having trouble dealing with the lack of perceived volume - I'm expecting it to be louder. It never feels loud, even when I know it is - and no amount of volume manipulation changes this. I've heard of this phenomena before, and now I know what they're talking about. You realize how much of the music your mind was actually creating before, whereas now you're actually hearing it. A little spooky.

Much less stuff sounds good through these phones. It's something to note. These Senns are brutally honest on bad recordings. You will hear the aliasing on low bitrate recordings. You will hear the noise in badly recorded songs. Clearly. Do you really want to know the truth? Listening to some older recordings can be painful now, especially albums I like(d).

The Senns are not going to "rock you", they don't "kick it old school". They are going to tell you what is there with all the pizzazz of an electrical engineer, and nothing else.

Overall:

You get more accuracy and clarity, at a lower volume, but without any warmth, with the Senns. The AKGs are more fun, the Senns are more true. If you prefer the sexy Latin passion of Ferraris, think about AKGs or Grados. If you've always had a thing for Teutonic Porsches, however, then consider the Senns.

Speaking of which, getting headphones like this is much like buying an sports car in Southern California. Yes, you'll look good, blah blah blah, but you won't be driving it at 180 anytime soon. More like 20 in rushhour traffic. But - if you know where the good mountain roads are outside the city, then you might be able to see what it can do ... which is very likely much more than what you can do.

My recommendation? For the price, if you're interested, get the HD 590s. Unless you have the sound system, and clinical mentality, to support the HD 600s.

(...whew!)

The Other P5 Forum
    Mididreamer
    RE: Amazing Deal on Sennheiser Headphones + REVIEW 2005/06/06 23:59:03 (permalink)

Negatives:

The HD 600's sound ... cold. Clinically cold. Reference ... perhaps. They merely put out what they're fed. No "enhancements". As a result, bass and treble sound "softer", not as much perceived sonic pressure - but more accurate, clearer. An odd combination, frankly. I know it's technically cleaner sound, but my mind is having trouble dealing with the lack of perceived volume - I'm expecting it to be louder. It never feels loud, even when I know it is - and no amount of volume manipulation changes this. I've heard of this phenomena before, and now I know what they're talking about. You realize how much of the music your mind was actually creating before, whereas now you're actually hearing it. A little spooky.

Much less stuff sounds good through these phones. It's something to note. These Senns are brutally honest on bad recordings. You will hear the aliasing on low bitrate recordings. You will hear the noise in badly recorded songs. Clearly. Do you really want to know the truth? Listening to some older recordings can be painful now, especially albums I like(d).

The Senns are not going to "rock you", they don't "kick it old school". They are going to tell you what is there with all the pizzazz of an electrical engineer, and nothing else.

How accurate is your perception of the sound produced with the HD 590 your negative is my positive So save some money on the HD 600 and get AKG for the fun

Thanks for your effort making this review

Komplete Audio 6
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1