Need help to save money :)

Author
Athos
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 62
2005/05/31 13:36:25 (permalink)

Need help to save money :)

Hi Guys!
It's been a while now since I started with GP3. I use my on board card that, with ASIO drivers works pretty good to have some fun. Uptill now, i've been recording with my SG plugged directly to an old Deck which has 2 Mono imputs, which is connected directly to the line in of my comp. Always working with plugins to enhace the tracks. I've recently bought a new 80w amp with a Korg effect processor and want to record directly from the amp using a microphone... so much story right? eheh sorry..

My problem.. my mic ( Philips ), poor quality, whenever I plug it in, FM radio comes out of my comp speakers.. any way to fix it home made? no money involved? covering the cable with something? thanks!

" It doesn't matter on which set up you are playing, your sound is your brain and your fingers" - Eddie Van Halen

4 Replies Related Threads

southphilly
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: Need help to save money :) 2005/06/01 00:46:40 (permalink)
    Athos

i totally know what you're talking about. this happens a little with my amp (a crappy 15w practice amp, not a mic, but nevertheless, the same issue)

here is a far-fetched and pretty unattractive solution offered by an sound engineer friend about 6 months ago; it didn't work for me (but I really didn't explore it too much), but it may work for for you.

he said take a fair amount of tinfoil and start covering different sections of the amp. start with sections the cord (power and patch) or the whole cord (easier if you bunch up the cords and cover the entire thing rather then have it stretched out), then cover the knobs, then the open back, etc. i suppose you could give it a shot with different sections of the XLR cord and maybe base of the mic, etc.

like i said, it did not work for me, but i only ended up covering like a small section at the base of the power cord and got side-tracked and never returned to the task. the radio sound that comes through is very slight and since I don't use this amp for recording - just for odd things here and there - it's no big deal. this guy swears it worked for a similar issue in his home studio, never saw it 1st-hand and didn't do it myself so I can't vouch for its effectiveness, but certainly stranger things have happened

peace

southphilly

"...all my lies are only wishes..."

http://www.soundclick.com/weus

Athos
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: Need help to save money :) 2005/06/01 08:40:45 (permalink)
    Thanks southphilly.. will try it this weekend and will post my experience

" It doesn't matter on which set up you are playing, your sound is your brain and your fingers" - Eddie Van Halen
    dana7
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 291
    RE: Need help to save money :) 2005/06/04 13:34:30 (permalink)
    Did you ever fix this? What was it?

My 2 cents...

You have a correctable situation. Why? Because you have one set-up that works. It should be easy to isolate the component that is picking up the radio. Generally AM stations are a problem. The moon and stars have to be right to demodulate FM with a bad ground or shield -- which is what I think you have.

Do you have an ohm meter? Check contiuity between the microphone case and earth ground. If all the shields are connected, you should have a direct connection.

As for the foil method. As I understand it, the plan is to provide an additional shield that will convert the electromagnetic waves from the radio station to a current and send the resultant current to ground so there is no energy left to induce voltage in your audio circuits. That means in order for the foil method to work, the foil has to be grounded.

G'luck
    DanoInTexas
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Need help to save money :) 2005/06/05 07:50:31 (permalink)
    I think Dana7 has got the right idea. It's a grounding issue. If your guitar cable is shielded and your mic cable is shielded then the problem could be the power source.
    Do you have a ground switch on your amp? Try switching that if you do. You have a new 80W amp that is probably shielded and also probably not the problem. The effect processor is also not a prime suspect. That leaves the power source and the mic. The ground switch on the amp checks the power side of the problem. To check the mic you have to open it and make sure the wires are all soldered correctly, or try a different mic cable.
    All we need to know now about the mic is, is the mic high or low impedence?
    Two wires or Three wires?
    Check them all
    Hope this helped you
    Dano
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1