Opinions on qear quality

Author
tim_greenwood
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
2005/06/01 12:47:16 (permalink)

Opinions on qear quality

I'm looking for input from others as to opinions on the following gear and brands. There is alot of collective years of experience here with invaluable input. I've been doing this awhile but I've run into a situation where my predecessor in this particular place is regarded highly as having only purchased the best quality gear. I highly question this myself as the speakers for FOH and monitors are home built cabs and 12" speakers only no horns nothing. I've not yet opened them to see what kind of speakers are in there. Other than that a QSC power amp and some Sen E845 mics.

The mics are good for live but here is my question. In order of quality how would you rate the following brands in regards to power amps:

QSC, Mackie, Crown

and in regards to EQ:

ART, Alesis, Ashley

I know my preferences but there are alot of opinions and I know I am not an island unto myself. Any input you all have is VERY VERY appreciated.....

8 Replies Related Threads

DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: Opinions on qear quality 2005/06/01 13:52:48 (permalink)
    The mics are good for live but here is my question. In order of quality how would you rate the following brands in regards to power amps:

QSC, Mackie, Crown

Crown (By a long shot!)
    QSC

Have never used a mackie Power amp.

ART, Alesis, Ashley

Based on my experience:

Ashly
    ART
    Alesis

But... as a followup... I haven't used every unit by every manufuacturer, the above is simply based on my experience(s) with the models I have used.

D.

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Opinions on qear quality 2005/06/01 13:56:03 (permalink)
    Crown was always my favorite for live sound but QSC is also very good. I have more experience with Crown and if I had to choose based on nothing but past experience, I'd choose Crown. But they are probably equal in terms of quality. Crown was king at one time but I think QSC might have passed them by in the marketplace. Many of the top sound companies here in Chicago use QSC amps.

I have no experience with Mackie amps but no reason to believe they are not also excellent. Almost everything with the Mackie name on it is excellent.

In regards to EQ (and crossovers) - I'd choose Ashley. But I have seen ART & Alesis used a lot so, again, they are all fine choices. Usually with graphic EQ it's set it and forget it. For what it's worth, Klark-Teknik is the cadillac of EQ's around here. Almost every pro sound company uses them.

Bottom line - they are all fine choices. I say let your budget decide.
    post edited by krizrox - 2005/06/01 14:01:38

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    wogg
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1819
    RE: Opinions on qear quality 2005/06/01 14:31:16 (permalink)
    For power amps:

I went with a QSC powerlight in my rig due to weight concerns. I went from a 60lb Crest amplifier to a 27lb QSC and increased my power output when I did it. Many other brands have jumped on the lightweight switching power supply systems, but QSC was one of the pioneers of them in the pro audio market (not including old Carver amps more targeted at the HiFi arena). Saving my back was my primary motivation.

I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference as far as performance and sound goes, and I haven't the experience to judge reliability. I know that neither my Crest or my QSC has ever failed after years of gigging in all kinds of conditions.

As for EQ... can't answer that one, I'd lean toward Ashley but can't really back that up.

Homepage:
    The World of Wogg

tim_greenwood
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Opinions on qear quality 2005/06/01 17:16:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for the quick replies guys....you all seem to back up exactly what I'd of said.

Crown
    QSC
    Mackie

Ashley
    Alesis (except Donny <G>)
    ART

I'm curious Donny why you put the art above the Alesis? Have you had a bad experience with Alesis EQ's or just better experiences with an ART? I've personally never used ART gear except for guitar, and then thought it was mediocre at best.
    DonnyAir
    RE: Opinions on qear quality 2005/06/09 21:00:42 (permalink)
    I'm curious Donny why you put the art above the Alesis? Have you had a bad experience with Alesis EQ's or just better experiences with an ART? I've personally never used ART gear except for guitar, and then thought it was mediocre at best.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to ya on this...I was out of town for a week...

It's not that I really love ART stuff, it's because, by and large (and of course there are exceptions) I'm really not crazy about most Alesis processing gear. I thought the 1630 was perhaps the worst compressor I had ever worked with, The Mattica was a terrible amp that made everything sound as if I had thrown a wet sack over my monitors
    (noiser than hell too!), and, having used The Masterlink (the fact that the first one I ordered was malfunctioning right out of the box brand new didn't help... and the replcement they sent me that did work didn't impress me much either), left me with a bad taste in my mouth for much of the Alesis product line.

That having been said, I must be honest and own up to the fact that I regularly use Monitor One's for referencing(along with JBL's and NS10's), so I'm not completely down on Alesis, but for the most part, they don't knock me out.

While I'm no expert on ART gear, the stuff that I have used has always left me with the feeling that, for the most part, it was solid gear for the money. In particular, I thought that their budget tube pre sounded great for the $$.

I don't hate Alesis, I own more than one piece of Alesis gear... I just don't love it.
    For whatever it's worth...

D.
    johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: Opinions on qear quality 2005/06/10 12:58:48 (permalink)
    QSC, Mackie, Crown
    and in regards to EQ:
    ART, Alesis, Ashley

Myself, owning quality studio and live gear and being in the biz quite sometime. These days. I'd say.
    Rane for EQ
    QSC for Power Amps

Those are what I own and use currently. Crown used to be the "Amp". But their new stuff is not the quality of the DC-300 days. I own some Alesis stuff (Midiverb 4, microverb) its alright. But if I needed more in the effect areas. I would not buy Alesis again. To put it bluntly. Their support sucks. Ashley was another brand that used to be "Top Dog". But it seems like they market a lot of "China" stuff as of late (China=poor quality control)
    Just IMHO................JDW (Mackie's stuff has gone downhill also, past couple years).
    DonnyAir
    RE: Opinions on qear quality 2005/06/10 13:21:50 (permalink)
    Crown used to be the "Amp". But their new stuff is not the quality of the DC-300 days.

I think John is right about this. Which is why when I bought new amps a few years back (Yes, I still have my Crown 300 but I was expanding and needed more) I went with
    Hafler. At the time, I thought they were the closest thing, and gang, I'll tell ya... I tried a BUNCH!
    I was fortunate enough at the time to have a good friend managing a local "pro" store and he let me take various amps home for a couple weeks. I tried so many.. QSC, Crown, an abortion from Alesis called "Mattica", a Yamaha or two, and ended up with the Haflers. Don't know currently what the "hot" amp is, but at the time the Hafler was certainly the best bang for the buck. Sounded like a Crown DC clone to me.
    I also like Rane gear (EQ's, and I have a Rane Headphone amp) and I really like Ashly gates. Anyhooooo..... FWIW

D.
    johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: Opinions on qear quality 2005/06/10 17:38:57 (permalink)
    Yes I use a Haffler transana P1000 to power my studio monitors. Donny's right on anout that as usual. Best I could find also. But for live sound re-enforcement Like getting dropped out of trucks, pitchers of beer spilled on them and still working and sounding great night, after night. QSC is my current pick and has been for about 8 years. Their tech support is right on also. If I had to buy new amps today, I would look no further than QSC. Now for studio monitors that Haffler is unmatched. You just have to remember. They are to different apps. Each with it's own requirements............................JDW
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1