New user with a mixer

Author
Thenothingless
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2005/06/02 10:56:25 (permalink)

New user with a mixer

Hey everyone, i'm running a Yamaha MG10/2 mixer into my HP CPU "Mic" input. My soundcard is a Realtek AC97. Whenever i go to record, all hell breaks loose. The sound is either distorted, not loud enough ,or way too loud. Essentially i can't get a nice clear sound. I've tried tweaking everything on the Yamaha mixer, and the windows mixer. I still get nasty sounds, and I can't record without wanting to break my computer. Someone please help!!!

2 Replies Related Threads

bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: New user with a mixer 2005/06/02 11:11:22 (permalink)
    Your first problem is that you are plugged into the mic input, which has a small little amplifier in it, so you are amplifying a line level signal. Plug into the line in jack of the computer, switch the soundcard settings to record from the line in port (double click little yellow speaker icon at the bottom right corner of your screen, select OPTIONS-->PROPERTIES, select RECORDING button, make sure the LINE box has a check in it, hit OK. Put a check in the SELECT box at the bottom of the LINE panel and turn the level up 2/3 to full. Then, close the window) and use the mixer to control the signal going into the computer.

This should take care of most of yor problems. If it doesn't, give us more details of your setup.

Jeff
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: New user with a mixer 2005/06/03 01:50:07 (permalink)
    BB1 is on this one, your mixer is a very good one, but the sound card is not realy up to recording, if your sound card does not sport a line in then you need to get some other type of interface, either a PCMCa card slot or a USB or Firewire interface, and bypass the sound card all together
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1