The Trigger Finger

Author
RJ
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
2005/06/02 13:51:21 (permalink)

The Trigger Finger

Okay all you zany P5’rs here’s your chance to describe how you use and abuse control surfaces. I haven’t used any of these and P5 seems to be begging for one. Can these be used to fire the Groove Matrix?

Anyway, I’ve seen several posts here that mentioned lusting over the M-Audio Trigger Finger. Can anyone describe the advantages of using this or other preferred controllers?

Thanks,
RJ

14 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: The Trigger Finger 2005/06/02 17:58:35 (permalink)
    Can anyone describe the advantages of using this or other preferred controllers?
    The TF is a great little supplement to a full-featured KB controller. I don't think of it as a replacement, but rather a nice augmentation. The advantage lies in the velocity-/pressure-sensitive pads; that's what sets this one apart. And, yes, you can use either MIDI Notes or CC/MIDI messages to control the Groove Matrix; quite nicely as a matter of fact. And since it sends two message types [Note #/other MIDI] simultaneously, you can trigger two distinct destinations with the same action.

If you're looking for a lot of mixing functionality, though, you have only the 8 knobs and 4 sliders to utilize. Kinda nice for P5 [eight track levels and the four Aux busses, for example), but if you only have one surface, you'll soon find this limiting. I might look into a small Behringer control surface to concentrate on mixdown.

You can also look to the combination devices that are popping up everywhere. Some KB controllers can also be considered complete control surfaces [Pro-88; Novation; etc.], and the dedicated larger control surfaces [Tascam; Yamaha; etc.] offer much more functionality for a much higher price tag. At any rate, you're still stuck "rolling your own" within Project5, no matter which one you decide on.

You need to develop your own "control surface support" using MIDI Remote Control, Device Chains, and a little elbow grease & some common sense. Not that's it's difficult; I just wanted you to know what to expect. Now to the Trigger Finger specifically: The implementation is non-intuitive, to say the least.

When I first got it, I fooled around with 'manually' adjusting the parameters via the unit itself. Cryptic display messages and the required sequences of commands contribute to the difficulty, but I wanted to learn how. After hearing several people describe the convoluted template editor [Enigma], I gave it a shot myself. Had to be easier, right?

Not necessarily. I suppose that most of the needed info is in the included .pdf manual [to paraphrase Bradster: "RTFM? More like WTFM!"], you just have to piece it together like a jigsaw puzzle with some of the parts missing. I've been toying on & off with a tutorial for programming the Enigma templates. Pathetic, isn't it? A tutorial is required to understand the manual, and then allow you to use the editor to uncover the unit parameter implementation.

But there's a real need for it; I'm running into roadblocks all the time myself. I thought it right to add that concern to the pros/cons list regarding the Trigger Finger. HTH
    epytryga
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 804
    RE: The Trigger Finger 2005/06/02 18:06:32 (permalink)
    FWIW:
    I recently got a Korg micoKontrol....8 sliders, 8 pans, 16velocity sensitive pads (like an MPC)...small keys...mod/pitch bend....I use it all the time with P5, pads to trigger groove cells, or record drums with velocity....etc...

I just love it...

my 2 centablos!

Kind Regards:
    Eric

Music samples at:
    https://soundcloud.com/the_oxford_circus

Gear:
    Windows 10, 16Gb RAM, Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4Ghz, Propellerhead Balance ASIO

AMD II X6 1075T PROCESSOR 3.0GHZ/8GB RAM/PROPELLERHEAD BALANCE ASIO DRIVERS.
    Bradster
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: The Trigger Finger 2005/06/02 20:26:30 (permalink)
    Thanks once again, b-rock, for validating that I'm not an idiot! So we can look for an "Enigma For Dummies" post soon, perhaps on the new wiki?

The Engima lives up to its name, no doubt, but the TF unit itself rocks the house down. It seems to be very well built, solid and low-profile, and the pads have a nice feel to them. Highly recommended, at least by this not-so-seasoned reviewer.

Until b-rock can crack the Enigma and enlighten us unto it's mysteries, you can still change the pad note assignments manually on the unit itself. Just activate the "Edit" function by pressing the top two left hand buttons in unision, touching the pad you wish to reassign, then twist the C1/Note/Min knob to select the note you wish to assign (the period indicates a sharped note). Hit the "Save & Exit" button twice to store.

For fun, try routing TF to a Pentagon I track and playing the pads. Here's a fun one:

• Use the E3 patch "addict"
    • Turn on the Filter LFO
    • Map these 3 DXi controls to the first 3 faders on the TF:
      F1 -> Filter LFO Speed
      F2 -> Filter 1 Resonance
      F3 -> Filter 2 Resonance

Now just play the pads with your right fingers and move the faders with your left.

Bradster

DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: The Trigger Finger 2005/06/03 07:46:28 (permalink)
    I'd like to add that the Trigger Finger and Keystation Pro88 have a default template for you to use the midi "learn" function in P5. This is great for those of us who have given up on trying to program the "M-Audio" way.
    RJ
    RE: The Trigger Finger 2005/06/03 14:24:23 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the responses. I’m sorry I forgot to say I’d also be using my Korg Triton Extreme as well. This is all just great feedback.

DayDrumFour, I’m not sure what you mean about the template. Did the Pro come with this and can I make something like this for the TF and my Extreme? And another thing I’m struck by is the idea of somehow mapping TF with an sfz file. Anyone know if this can be done?

Thanks all.
    RJ
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    RE: The Trigger Finger 2005/06/03 15:38:59 (permalink)
    I just ordered the TF :)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    SteepLearningCurve
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 281
    RE: The Trigger Finger 2005/06/03 16:44:25 (permalink)
    I got the TF a couple of weeks ago. The one i got had a defect, two pads wired together so that they couldn't be programmed separately. Got the m-audio tech support scratching their heads and they finally had me send it back. I did get to work with the 14 pads that weren't defective and had a great time. The velocity sensitive pads really made my drum tracks come across with a lot more expressiveness than I've been able to carry off with a keyboard. Looking forward to getting a fully functional TF in next weeks mail...I used it with both Velocity and the V-Sampler that came with Sonar 3. Setting up a drum kit wasn't horribly difficult. I also did a couple of pretty wacked bass experiments. In P5 I was able to go back and forth between my drum synth and the bass track really easily using the presets on the TF so that I could lay down a beat and without stopping I could switch over to the bass patch and lay down a bass line. Kept the groove going and I was pleased with the result.

I found both the manual and the Enigma more counterintuitive than helpful but the tech support and customer service folks at m-audio did treat me really well.

I'm pretty new to midi so there's a whole lot more to understand about how I can use trigger finger more easily and really utilize all of it's more subtle features.
    DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: The Trigger Finger 2005/06/03 22:38:25 (permalink)
    DayDrumFour, I’m not sure what you mean about the template. Did the Pro come with this and can I make something like this for the TF and my Extreme?

I reset both units back to the default controller assignments they were shipped with. With P5's midi learn function, the device that made the midi signal is also remembered. Just like with track assignments. You can specify what midi device you are using which eliminates the need to know or even care about all those midi controller numbers. I just won't use the midi override function on any track.
    Mike West
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: The Trigger Finger 2005/06/03 22:53:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RJ
    Okay all you zany P5’rs here’s your chance to describe how you use and abuse control surfaces. I haven’t used any of these and P5 seems to be begging for one. Can these be used to fire the Groove Matrix?

Anyway, I’ve seen several posts here that mentioned lusting over the M-Audio Trigger Finger. Can anyone describe the advantages of using this or other preferred controllers?

Thanks,
    RJ

I really out to come with a warning label: I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

But I have an Oxy8, a laptop, and an Evolution UC33e (e, not to be confused to the not e model). I just tell P5 to learn the hell out of whatever I'm pressing that seems to make sense to me. Groove Matrix to the UC's numeric pad; some volume controls to its sliders; maybe pan to a few knobbies. The Oxy's got a couple knobbies that seem to make sense (to me) in some circumstances, mostly assigned to that freak Alias thing, and some PSYNII controls too. I'm ancient, I guess - controlling my "synth" from my "keyboard" still makes the best sense to me. Damn Right Brain!

I should probably wiki this spectacular description of what I'm doing, but I think in this case, it should be ephemeral.

Glorph
    Rockitglider
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 172
    RE: The Trigger Finger 2005/06/04 21:01:42 (permalink)
    Hello,

Well I bought the trigger finger, I figured if I wait till I can afford it I may wait along time. I really love it, I recorded a mp3 of me messin around on it and it sounds much like real drummin. Very impressed, I just hope the pads can take the abuse I'm throwing at them. I would post the mp3, but I don't know how. Anyway, I recomend this controller for sure and I've only used it for drums so far, can't wait to try some other tricks. Have Fun!

See ya, Rockitglider

"You Teach Best What You Most Need To Learn" Richard Bach, "Illusions"
    b rock
    RE: The Trigger Finger 2005/06/04 21:11:15 (permalink)
    can't wait to try some other tricks.
    Give me five more minutes, Kit.
    RJ
    RE: The Trigger Finger 2005/06/06 17:17:35 (permalink)
    Oh man,
    Thanks everyone. Wouldn't you know, after all this I go to Musicians Friend and they are sold out of TF till mid month. Looks like a GC mission comin up...

Thanks for the controler stuff Mike. Seems I do remember reading what you're talking about but I completly forgot about it. Now I can't wait.

And, thanks to you to B-rock. I've learned a good bit from you and now I see you have a TF tutorial - Unreal.
    RJ
    b rock
    RE: The Trigger Finger 2005/06/06 17:26:03 (permalink)
    I've learned a good bit from you and now I see you have a TF tutorial - Unreal.
    Thanks, Robert. As you've come to realize, the Trigger Finger device has now become standard-issue for all P5'ers. I hope that I get time before my Wednesday departure, but I'd like to post a followup to that tutorial.

The first one was a little dry and functional; just something to get started with. But the stuff that's coming is anything but dry, really pushes the envelope with the device's application, and has absolutely nothing to do with drums.
    RJ
    RE: The Trigger Finger 2005/06/06 17:49:49 (permalink)
    I'm looking forward to it. Thanks again.
    RJ
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1