Help with P5v2 tutorial discrepancy...

Author
thndrsn
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 475
2005/06/03 09:34:22 (permalink)

Help with P5v2 tutorial discrepancy...

Hi,
Maybe this has been addressed in the forum, but I'm not sure what to search for, so...

I finally found the time to dive into the P5v2 tutorial .pdf document, and right away I hit a snag. Following the instructions for experimenting with File1 I get to the point where I'm supposed to look for a Bass pattern called "Bass Ostinato 1." I can't find this pattern anywhere. Clicking on "Not in use" does nothing.

Another thing is that in the .pdf document there is a graphic showing the Loops/Ptns pane which lists four shortcut buttons labeled Loops & Patterns, Bass, Pads, Leads under the Browse button. I see only Loops & Patterns.

Another thing is that I have Arps, Automation, Bass, Drums, Guitar, Keys, Leads, Pads under the lefthand -All- which is different from the tutorial list which includes Audio Loops, Bass, Drums, Loops, Pads. I can't find mention of an Audio Loop anywhere.

I can follow the tutorial somewhat, but I have to skip over the section that discusses Using Audio Loops.

Is there something wrong with my installation, or with the tutorial?

One additional thing, when I click on the 'View Readme.rtf' link on the Help menu I get a dialog box saying 'File not found.' Where is this readme file supposed to be?

By the way, I have a nonstandard partition configuration, so P5v2 is not installed on the C drive. Is this part of any of these problems or not?

--thndrsn

Beethoven was right: the bigger the stream, the deeper the tone.

12 Replies Related Threads

agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: Help with P5v2 tutorial discrepancy... 2005/06/03 10:11:13 (permalink)
    IIRC some/all of the files that were intended for use with the tutorial accidentally didn't get included on the install discs. I searched the forum for official word but didn't find it....Somebody?

wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Help with P5v2 tutorial discrepancy... 2005/06/03 10:36:01 (permalink)

i'm pretty sure Nick H. let us know this would be fixed. and I'm also prety sure he was open-ended in his word choice, but it certainly implies an update release.

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Help with P5v2 tutorial discrepancy... 2005/06/03 11:22:36 (permalink)
    Yeah, it was overlooked from the installation discs. Nick said they will resolve it, we just don't know when. Here is Nick's repsonse to the issue:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/m.asp?m=463162&mpage=1&key=
    RJ
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Help with P5v2 tutorial discrepancy... 2005/06/03 11:29:17 (permalink)
    Well it's sad to say but I think the whole printed version of the manual is nearly a complete waste of paper. Many things are wrong, the print is too small and it is organized ass backward - It starts with a finished project??? Geeezzz!

I'd suggest a clean rewrite with a download link on the P5 site.

RJ

techead
    RE: Help with P5v2 tutorial discrepancy... 2005/06/03 11:40:16 (permalink)
    Maybe some enterprising Project5 users who have made considerable headway with the product could help the rest of us out by starting a project tutorial on the new P5 wiki. And the rest of us could jump in and add some of our own helpful edits as well.

We don't know when a tutorial fix will be forthcoming from Cakewalk, but surely there are some users lurking here in the forums who have been able to make some excellent work with Project5.

I for one only have a handful of experiments from fooling around with the synths--I haven't been creating songs yet. I could use a good tutorial to go through myself.

Anyone up for starting this out on the Wiki? It would go far and WWIIDDEE for helping everyone out.
    MysticMizer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Help with P5v2 tutorial discrepancy... 2005/06/03 12:46:00 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting this. I thought I was losing my mind.

NEVERODDOREVEN
    RJ
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Help with P5v2 tutorial discrepancy... 2005/06/03 14:37:03 (permalink)
    techead,

It sounds like I'm at about the same point on the learning curve as you are. As I continue my climb I will watch for topics that I feel I can contribute something toward enlightement. Maybe this wiki ain't so wacky after all...

RJ
    thndrsn
    RE: Help with P5v2 tutorial discrepancy... 2005/06/03 23:37:41 (permalink)
    Thanks to you, too, and to everyone else that responded.

Now we know it's all part of the global conspiracy to get us to doubt our sanity.

Armed with this insight we will no doubt now save thousands on medical bills.

Plus, when the submarines start surfacing off the coast, we who have had the courage to ask will be ready.

--thndrsn

slohanjo
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Help with P5v2 tutorial discrepancy... 2005/06/04 07:02:18 (permalink)
    Yessirs.. I encountered the same.. (Guess we could call ourselves 'The Lost Readers of TFM!!! ')
    I got a bit po'ed at first over the thought of missing something during the install.. then I went back to what I did when I bought my first pc.. fiddled with it until.. well.. I won't go into THAT! so...
    1st thing I did was browse the installation disk for said file/s.. found them, copied them, then pasted them where my other program loops reside. Next, I opened P5 again and began the tutorial. I still didn't see file1 nor the "audio Loops" folder so I hit the Explore button and pointed to the area where I had just pasted files. I Found the files, selected the folder, then created a shortcut.. (the create a shortcut option is located at the bottom of the Browse, Explore,In Project column) all is fine now.
    I also made shortcuts for my other Loop folders..
    Hope this helps. OBTW.. I luv P5v2!!!
    Slo

thndrsn
    RE: Help with P5v2 tutorial discrepancy... 2005/06/05 06:12:04 (permalink)
    slohanjo,

They're on the installation CD?

Really?

(Why din i thinka that?)

And yes, I saw the 'create shortcut' button, too, but I also remember what happened one time when I got to pokin around somewhere without a map and a flashlight, and ... well, I won't go into that here...

--thndrsn

slohanjo
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Help with P5v2 tutorial discrepancy... 2005/06/05 11:51:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: thndrsn
    They're on the installation CD?

Well.. The Audio Loops folder is.. as mentioned in another thread. " The bass ostinado1 is nowhere to be found" .. as is th "Funky" folder .. pretty amazing that we couldn't get past 4 pages in the "TUTORIALS" without finding 3 stopping points/errors.. Frustrating it is. But if we get the general idea.. guess it's worth something. Think quality control might take a closer look at such items.. perhaps letting a totally uninformed (new) user install, fire up, and RTFM step by step.. with an observer to assist.. Maybe Scott Garrigus could be commissioned to write a comprehensive User's guide?
    cheers.. I still luv P5v2!
    techead
    RE: Help with P5v2 tutorial discrepancy... 2005/06/05 16:09:49 (permalink)
    With the P5 wiki now in place we have a place to publish an ongoing user-made self-help tutorial. If everyone would join in and post pieces to it we could have an excellent and free tutorial made by users for users. Seems to me this has the potential to be infinitely better than a tutorial made by any one person.

Who's game to chip in?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1