Compression vs. EQ

Author
Peter Rabbit
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1305
2005/06/03 14:35:23 (permalink)

Compression vs. EQ

I’m still fairly new to this but doing my best to understand. I have read Sonar Power, Sonar4 Power, Home Recording for Dummies, the Sonar4 Manual, as well as many threads in this and other forums. I have also followed links to Mixing & Mastering web pages. But I have not been able to really get a definite answer to my question.

The following is an example of what confuses me:

I have used a synthesized instrument to produce a bass sound in one of my tracks of the project. The synthesized sound actually runs quite a gambit of frequencies. I would like to make this bass sound louder but it clips if I raise the volume.

Using different tools I have discovered which frequencies emanating from the synthesized bass sound that are responsible for the clipping.

Now… I can use an Equalizer to reduce the gain on those offensive frequencies, which will allow me to raise the overall volume of the track, thereby giving me a louder sounding bass.

However… I can also accomplish the same thing using the Sonitus Compressor and compressing those offensive frequencies, which will allow me to raise the overall volume of the track, thereby giving me a louder sounding bass.

So… My question is: When is it appropriate to use EQ and when is it appropriate to use Compression? I understand the functions of both. I just don’t know when to use which one.

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
P. Rabbit

20 Replies Related Threads

Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/03 14:39:53 (permalink)
    No rules ... do what sounds best to your ears.
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/03 14:57:23 (permalink)
    Thanks Steve_Karl. But wahhhhh! Again no definite answer.

I suppose it’s one of those discretionary things and I can use either one and through time and experience I’ll determine which one I personally feel comfortable using for which function I want to use it for? At least that’s what it sounds like you’re telling me.

OK then. Well… I suppose I’ve spent two days researching this to try to find an answer to my question when, again, I should have posted my question here in the first place.

Thanks again buddy. I suppose I can rest now. And thanks also for being patient and understanding to those of us who are still learning. It's appreciated more than you know.

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/03 15:01:39 (permalink)
    Your question is one of the best I have seen. You point out a very important thing about the two processes. They can both be used to do very much the same thing.
    The basic difference between them is that Eq will not change the dynamic range of the sound as much as compression will. Also, with Eq one can use it like a scalpel. Compression is more like a hammer. It will effect a wider rang of the sound where Eq can be very precise in controlling a specific frequency within the sound. Your approach to this is a good one. There are those who use Eq and never compress. Then there are those that use compression and never use Eq for this. Still others will use them both to help them tailor a sound to there needs. Some use compression as others use Eq. The difference here is that compression is a broader approach to controlling the entire mix. Using a multi band compressor will give great control over the over all sound of a song not unlike Eq. The benefit is getting a hotter (louder) sound then Eq alone will allow.

Best
    John
    post edited by John - 2005/06/03 15:11:56
    wogg
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1819
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/03 15:11:06 (permalink)
    For compression I would have used a bandpass sidechain filter to only trigger the compressor in the offending frequency band. The result would be that notes that do not contain the offending resonance would not be affected at all and sould sound as the source intended, as opposed to EQ, which affects ALL notes. When the offending note is hit the compressor will trigger and bring the signal down to avoid clipping, but it will do so across the whole frequency band.

A multiband compressor would do the same, except it would only reduce the gain for the resonant frequency band, AND only when the resonance is hit.

So in that situation:
    EQ = all notes are effected by the frequency content change
    Broad band Compression = All notes are affected by signal level if over the threshold, not frequency content
    Broad band compression + sidechain filter = only affects the notes containing the resonant frequency by signal level
    Multiband compression = only affects the notes containing the resonant frequency by frequency content

I've used the broadband compression + sidechain filter trick to tame a analog synth that would go from practically no signal at one frequency to blowing out the whole mix at another.

Homepage:
    The World of Wogg

m11
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/03 15:15:37 (permalink)
    Peter,

if you're not sure, use both!

but to be serious, this mainly depends on the sound you have. You wrote you made a bass sound with a synth. What kind of sound is this?
    Has it a big attack and few "booom", and this loud transients are clipping? Then use a compressor.
    Does it have a wide range of high frequencies that fight other instruments in your song? Use a EQ.

But if you use a synth bass that doesn't work with your song, it's the best to use another sound IMHO

Greets
    Melf
    daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/03 15:16:24 (permalink)
    Compression also has an attack and release time which changes the dynamic of the sound - i.e. - you can make the bass more PUNchy (but remember to keep the unchy) whereas an eq will just change the frequency content.

If you're looking to remove unwanted frequencies then an eq is the tool you should use - if you're looking to change the dynamic then use a compressor - of course a compressor will also change the frequency content depending on which frequencies are more prominent - but remember a compress will mostly always trigger from the loudest part of the incoming signal unless it's setup as a de-esser or somesuch device.

GlissEQ from voxengo is different again as it's a dynamic EQ and can work wonders as it will dynamically reduce the eq if the power at the boost range is too hot and bring it back up as the volume decreases. It's an excellent effect and generally your source material will need less compression as a result.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/03 15:36:28 (permalink)
    Wow! Thanks folks!

This is the kind of information I've been looking for. But sadly, until now, the only information available was "How to use" and not "When to use". Until now the only specific thing I found was, "When two or more tracks are sharing the same frequencies and are making the mix sound muddy, then that's the time to use EQ." That has been repeated at every source of information I could find. But no other information like the information in your above posts is available.

Many thanks to you all. You have all made very good points in your above posts and I'm now finally getting a handle on it. Thanks again!

P. Rabbit
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/03 15:44:57 (permalink)
    No sir, you are the one that asked the question in a way that we could understand. You put it in a comprehensive form and made good examples. It was your question that was great not the answers. The answers reflect you quality question only. I thank you for asking it.

Best
    John
    post edited by John - 2005/06/03 15:56:05
    m11
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/03 15:48:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: John

No sir, you are the one that asked the question in a way that we could understand. You put in a comprehensive form and made good examples. It was your question that was great not the answers. The answers reflect you quality question only. I thank you for asking it.

Best
    John

I second that
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/03 15:57:54 (permalink)
    Golly, gee! I'm blushing! LOL

You folks are the greatest!

P. Rabbit
    Greybeard
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 271
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/03 16:06:49 (permalink)
    Peter: you're not the only one who learned something useful here from these folks. T'anks to y'all.
    Xspringe
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/03 16:33:32 (permalink)
    Very informative thread! Good work :)
    joe b
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 500
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/03 17:13:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Peter Rabbit

I would like to make this bass sound louder but it clips if I raise the volume.

An alternative approach to making it louder without clipping would be to clone the audio track one or more times.
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/03 17:21:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: joe b

ORIGINAL: Peter Rabbit

I would like to make this bass sound louder but it clips if I raise the volume.

An alternative approach to making it louder without clipping would be to clone the audio track one or more times.

Yes but that would be cheating. That would be like having two bass players in the band, not fair.. We don't have all these plugs for nothing. Or do we?

Best
    John

graywadc
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/03 18:32:11 (permalink)
    If I may add my 2 cents.
    You could use your original track with compression and layer it with another track played at an octive higher to bring out the bass line leaving the bottom and actually hear the bass line in an audio range that can be recongnized. You will hear it from the higher freq. and feel it from the lower freq.

I would like to hear any thoughs as to this technique.
    Xavier
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 563
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/03 23:13:19 (permalink)
    Since everyone is trowing in possiblities ... the track might consist of two compressors and two eq's: EQ->Comp->EQ->Comp. The first EQ shapes the response for what you want to bring out with the first Compressor, then the second EQ creates the final tone you want and the second compressor keeps the levels in line or creates the punch and attach desired. This is where knowing how to set the attack, decay, and threshold of the comps come into play -- they would be rather different for each application in this chain...

However, any one of us might approach your particular situation differently than we have described if we heard what you recorded and then tried to approach what you wanted to achieve. So, if you don't get there on your own, post some sounds and someone here will help you narrow it down....

<X>
    jungfriend
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 746
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/04 01:16:18 (permalink)
    Hi Peter Rabbit,

I'm new to this forum having just recently upgraded to Sonar 4.0.2, but I have a gained a little knowledge and experience in recording and production and I hope you don't mind me mentioning a different approach to solving your problem. You might try to reduce the volume of the other tracks so that the bass synth track sounds louder by comparison. This would be a good approach to take if headroom is an issue and then you wouldn't need to eq or compress. Louder isn't always better, but if you tried this and then used a peak limiter (like Waves L3 Maximizer) on the entire mix afterward you could achieve both a louder bass synth track, a higher overall volume, and still retain some of the original dynamics if you applied the limiter judiciously.

As far as your original question it has been answered quite well. Under normal circumstances you would EQ first during the mixing stage, and then compress during the mastering stage of production. This is in part because of the impact that compression has on headroom and dynamics, but also because you could run into trouble compressing one track during mixing only to discover that you require compression at the mastering phase. You can make it work but it takes practice and a good idea of what the end result will sound like prior to making this choice. Lots of engineers apply compression even at the tracking stage but this is often to compensate for poor microphone technique or other problems with dynamic range and should not be a standard practice unless required for a specifc sonic effect.

Paul

3.6 ghz P4
    2mb DDR SDRAM @533mhz
    Echo Layla 3G
    Sonar 4.0.2 PE

river
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 597
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/04 18:09:06 (permalink)
    Peter, If you're trying to get more level out of the synth bass track and it clips, another solution is to lower the levels of all the other tracks (send to a stereo buss and lower the overall mix), good old "subtractive mixing". Bass frequencies take substantially more power to achieve comparable loudness to midrange frequencies, so you've essentially run out of headroom on the bass track because of how loud your other tracks are. Using EQ can eat up headroom also if you have a tendency to always boost frequencies instead of cutting ones that get in the way of the overall sound you want a track to have. Try a high pass setting on the bass track at 30Hz, 12 db/octave. You'll get a whole lot of headroom back that way since you'll eliminate a bunch of useless subsonic stuff that's eating up level even though you can't hear it. Try to find a fundamental frequency to boost for the bass track using a tight bandwidth, this will add more definition. Also boost the 3rd multiple of the fundamental for extra cutting power. You can get a ton of punch with compression by using a medium attack and very short release at a moderate ratio. I'm an advocate of using as little processing as possible to get what I want sonically, but I hope some of this is useful for you. Good luck with it.
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/04 21:35:02 (permalink)
    Hi folks.

Wow! I would never have imagined I would get such a huge response to my post.

Even more amazing is the number of different techniques used by different people. And all good ones! There appears to be as many ways to mix a song as there are to write one. I'm finally beginning to understand what the "art" of mixing is all about. And I love it!

Again, thanks to you all for your responses. They have all been a really huge help to me and I'm going to experiment using all of the above suggestions and techniques. Who knows? In time I might just get to be pretty good at this stuff! I've got the will, desire, drive, and a bit of knowlege. I also have an excellent source of information right here in this forum. The only thing I'm lacking now is the experience. And that will come in time.

I'll work on my project this week. I'll start everything from scratch, record and mix it, and perhaps I'll post it in the Songs forum when I think I've mixed it as good as I can. And then hopefully I can get some feedback pertaining to its sound quality. Thanks again!

P. Rabbit
    evan
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: Compression vs. EQ 2005/06/05 06:57:56 (permalink)
    Sorry I'm late;

Using different tools I have discovered which frequencies emanating from the synthesized bass sound that are responsible for the clipping.

Now… I can use an Equalizer to reduce the gain on those offensive frequencies, which will allow me to raise the overall volume of the track, thereby giving me a louder sounding bass.

Almost all real basses have the same problem. Use a two band compressor. Set the band cutoff where the offending frequencies start. Compress each band as needed. You'll notice one of them requires more compression . That's all.
    post edited by evan - 2005/06/05 07:00:22
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1