Make my own upright bass samples/sf2

Author
DroopyPawn
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 665
2005/06/04 21:47:03 (permalink)

Make my own upright bass samples/sf2

I have access to a high quality upright bass. What would I need to do to make samples or a soundfont that I could use in my tunes and not have to actually play bass?

I need this for some bluegrass and older country tunes I do from time to time.

I've never tried to make any samples or anything like that. I assume that there would be several samples for each not based on different volumes, attack, sustain, decay, release etc. But I'm not sure where to start - or if I even should start.

And what about short notes compared to longer ones? Most bluegrass only uses quarter and eight notes on the bass but I'm sure I would find needs for longer notes - like the last note of a song.

Any help/tips would be apreciated.

gs

1 Reply Related Threads

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Make my own upright bass samples/sf2 2005/06/04 22:14:01 (permalink)
    Interesting. It will certain take some work. Here's an outline:
    - Just sample "whole notes", something on the order of 4 sec each. The sample player will handle the early cut off. Don't worry about release samples etc, this is more than you'll need.

- The most important element is the change in tone due to the strength of the pluck, however, for Blue Grass and Folk, that will normally be fairly consistent, so I'd recommend 3 samples - soft, normal, and hard.

- The most realism is when you sample every note. You could easily get away with sampling on a whole tone scale, maybe every third note

- You'll need a good wave editor and processor like Sound Forge. Use this to trim the samples and get them to the same relative volume level.

- Then drop each sample into the sample player, do the spreading if didn't sample every note.

Whew, that's a lot of work. Have you looked into Spectrasonics Trilogy? Cost about the same as Sound Forge and save all the effort.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1