Recommend a mic

Author
redjacket
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2005/06/05 15:42:42 (permalink)

Recommend a mic

I would like to record my accoustic guitar and some vocals. I am not ready to install any pickups in my guitar (too many choices). So I would like to get a mic that I would work well for voice and guitar. I'm not looking at spending much money.

Any suggestions.

7 Replies Related Threads

destroy
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Recommend a mic 2005/06/05 16:42:58 (permalink)
    www.m-audio.com and check the microphone
    luke1331
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Recommend a mic 2005/06/07 10:39:05 (permalink)
    a condencer mic would be what I would recommend, but I'm assuming you don't have a Phantom power supply (mixer or preamp). so you would have to use a dynamic mic. I would go with a shure sm57, its a must have mic for just about every app.
    James D
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: Recommend a mic 2005/06/07 18:36:57 (permalink)
    If you don't want to spend a lot of money I would say use a a sure SM 57 as well.

Also check out behringer mics if you are strapped for cash. These are low cost mics but perform rather well, because behringer is known for copying the specs of well known companies.... you didn't hear me say that !!

Also I think the Samson C03 is great for a home studio. but you will need phantom power for this.. Again we ar back to behringer for grabing a small 6 channell mixer for around 49.00 now you have multiple ins. monitor outs, headphone playback, aux sends... i grabbed a behringer MX602A off ebay for 20.00 discontinued from Behringer. I use it to warm up my digital sound coming from the sequencer. make it sound more alive real not all processed.

While you are at it, grab a BCF2000 and use it as a control sufrace in home studio 2XL as mackie emulation. you can't beat the price. Works just like the Mickie Controller except for the Jog wheel. 199.99 now and Behringer makes it.

http://www.behringer.com/BCF2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG BCF 2000

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/pricelistDetails.cfm?lang=ENG&cid=US All prices on products.

Behringer = Great products for the low cost home studio.

Enjoy the sweet sound of music forever!
    Sonar5
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Recommend a mic 2005/06/08 04:00:15 (permalink)
    What kind of environment are you going to be recording in? Is there a lot of outside noise that may be captured in your recordings? What kind of quality are you trying to achieve?

The SM57 is a good mic for close work of loud sources (snares, toms, guitar amps, etc.,)...I've never used one on an acoustic guitar in a studio environment so I can't tell you what you should expect from it. For "on-stage" vocals & other "live" performances, it's a workhorse...It's not really a "studio" quality vocal mic but a decent mixer or preamp can make it "workable". In most pro recording studios the 57's are used, primarily, as drum & amp mics...Most vocals & acoustic instruments (strings, piano, acoustic guitars, etc.,) are recorded using condenser or tube mics...These all require phantom or external power supplies.

Your aspirations should determine your budget...If you want quality recording, it's gonna require some monetary commitment...If you just want to "archive" your songs or performances to play for family & friends, you'll have to decide how much you're willing to spend so you can feel good about having others hear your material. WORDS OF WARNING: If you start getting serious about this, it IS a very expensive habit! It can become addictive once you learn all you can do!

Good Luck,
    Papa

post edited by papa2004 - 2005/06/08 04:03:28

Regards,
    Papa
    redjacket
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Recommend a mic 2005/06/11 14:44:43 (permalink)
    James D, I did check out the behringer site and it was very informative. I did find what looked like a good deal. Two mics for about 70 bucks.

http://www.behringer.com/C-2/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I am going to try and follow PAPA's advice and do some more research before plunking down more cash. I am finding this can be an expansive habit. There is SO MUCH stuff!

Thanks

Gateway FX  Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP 2.
    Sonar Studio 8.3.1
    EDIROL 25 USB Audio MIDI interface
    M-Audio Oxygen 8 midi contoller
    DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: Recommend a mic 2005/06/11 15:01:25 (permalink)
    a condencer mic would be what I would recommend, but I'm assuming you don't have a Phantom power supply (mixer or preamp). so you would have to use a dynamic mic.

Not necessarily true. True in that of course a condenser requires external voltage, not true in that he needs a pre amp or mixer with Phantom Power. Some newer condensers have come along (The newer AKG C1000s for example) that will accept a 9v battery in the body as it's source of power.
    If you are planning on recording a lot of acoustic stuff, or at least primarily acoustic, you should consider a good condenser mic. A 57 or 58 will do just fine, but you won't capture some of the subtle nuances and transparency that you will using a good condenser, especially on acoustic instruments...

FWIW

D.
    8ftsq
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 230
    RE: Recommend a mic 2005/06/11 17:53:17 (permalink)
    Just to drop my .02 cents in,
    I have a Studio projects B-1 that I've recorded my acoustic and vocals with that sounded pretty good to my ears.I use it through an ART DPS.I've heard that the VTB-1 preamp is nice for the money also.I don't know what your looking to spend,but both together could be had for about $200 or so.

Here's some links

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=10929&Category=Audio_Processors

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=10142&Category=Microphones

Once I heard my acoustic through a condensor mic,there was no going back.

Frank

Athlon xp 2800
    a7n8x-x mobo
    1 gb ram
    m-audio 2496 PCI
    XP home
    Sonar Home studio
    Reason 2.5

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=335809
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1