An experiment of sorts... [NEW LINK]

Author
Bradster
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 435
2005/06/08 04:15:24 (permalink)

An experiment of sorts... [NEW LINK]

I posted this over at Audioshots. A sort of sonic scratchpad of things I've been experimenting with over the past day or so. (the title is just a date code -- I only name my tracks when they reach maturity -- and not one less than hell. Although you may disagree).

What I've been flirting with primarily is this trance thing. While I love the style, I have no real idea of how to pull it off other than to mimic some of what I hear and manage to reproduce. I'm particularly interested in D.A.'s take on this, once he finishes his sandbox.

Give me your worst! I'd really love to hear some sharp criticizisms. Otherwise I'll never get this down and you'll have to put up with my half-baked goods. And what's good about that?

Thanks for listening!

Bradser

post edited by Bradster - 2005/06/08 11:57:38

18 Replies Related Threads

blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: An experiment of sorts... 2005/06/08 04:28:30 (permalink)
    Hi Bradster. This is a strange track indeed. During the first minute and a half or so it seemed there were lots of ideas in there, but they wer'nt gelling together, like several songs stuck end to end. As the track progressed though you seemed to mix these elements in with each other and it did seem to work to a certain extent. I started to like it more during the second half of the track, i thought the off-kilter melodies were really interesting. There's some nice programming and the production is top rate.

There are a lot of ideas here that just need to be honed to get it all to gell i reckon. I'm no expert on Trance though so DA will be able to advise you much better than i can.
    Andy C
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1272
    RE: An experiment of sorts... 2005/06/08 08:44:26 (permalink)
    (the title is just a date code -- I only name my tracks when they reach maturity -- and not one less than hell. Although you may disagree).

Call me dim, but I can't actully see the musc download on that link ?

Andy
    TheOrphan
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: An experiment of sorts... 2005/06/08 09:14:32 (permalink)
    Call me dim, but I can't actully see the musc download on that link ?

Heads up Bradster!
    Seems to be a problem that has cropped up recently when hosting files at the Auditorium - I've encountered the same problem with my music that was being hosted there as well. Someone suggested that they were probably no longer allowing guests to download posted files. Seems to work if you join the forum though.
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: An experiment of sorts... 2005/06/08 09:23:57 (permalink)
    Yeh you have to be a member now.
    TheOrphan
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: An experiment of sorts... 2005/06/08 09:28:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for the confirmation blipp.

Bradster, I'm with blipp on this one; lots of good ideas but not a very coherent piece in all. But then again, I'm also with him on not being an expert on this genre and so, probably not best suited to criticise this. The part that starts at 1:22, I liked, but in the second 8 bars there's some strangeness with the levels that I found distracting - the bass drum disappears for a beat or so. Anyway, sounds well mixed and it was an enjoyable listen, keep it up.
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    RE: An experiment of sorts... 2005/06/08 09:59:31 (permalink)
    How does one listen? When I click on the link, I don't see a way to listen - all I see is another forum message at audioshots.
    Advise please?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    crabtwins
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: An experiment of sorts... 2005/06/08 10:22:24 (permalink)
    B'ster,

I thought there was a lot of good Ideas in here alittle too many, for me. I lost track of the song. YOu know what I mean? The piano was the only thing that really was consistent. I like a few of your fills. I cant say it's bad, I just didn't think it was bangin. I go for hard Kick's and more breaks. The thing at 3:16 wasn't bad. I would say overall the cymbal every other 1/16th note could have been sacrificed during some breaks or something. Not bad at all though, I would recommend listening to more stuff that you think kicks ass and keep on truckin.

later

RJ
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: An experiment of sorts... 2005/06/08 12:09:01 (permalink)
    Hey Bster,

My best stuff comes from limiting my ideas and changing what I'm limiting.

It may be my connection but in many spots I hear alot of noise on top.

Keep'm commin.
    RJ
    Bradster
    RE: An experiment of sorts... 2005/06/08 12:28:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for the honesty! I know it's hard, especially with this crowd, to give negative comments. This is exactly what I needed to hear.

I hadn't realized that Auditorim had changed their policy. I put it up on my site instead for those who haven't experienced the torment yet.

The beginning is a total train wreck, no doubt, however what you hear is not entirely intentional. This is my first piece using the newly acquired SampleTank/SonikSynth plugs and something is not quite right. I have a single track of Sampletank with three lanes running on three different MIDI channels. At measure 9 when a second lane comes it, it is not only silencing the first ST lane but also impacting other tracks and other synths. I think it's the z3ta+ or possibly Velocity that's getting knocked out there also. Yet it all seems to come back in at measure 17. Hmmmm?

I'll definately take note though of what seems to work like the breakdown at 1:22 (though I think I need a better way of entering it). Glad you liked the bit at 3:16 crabtwins. I was worried that the transition to that was a bit cliche but I've always like that cliche! There's also a slight increase in tempo at this point.

blipp, thanks for the nod on the programming but I can't take all the the credit here. The snare rolls and build ups are mine, but the beats are just P5 off-the-shelf trance patterns with a few tweaks. This is also my first track using the Trigger Finger so that's where the crash fx came from (via Cyclone). And thanks especially for the comment on the production -- you know how much this matters to me! I've also had a little help here from the newly acquired SpectraLive plug.

It may be a little while before I have the time to pare this down and restructure it but it will happen.

Thanks again!

Bradster

Bradster
    RE: An experiment of sorts... 2005/06/08 12:33:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RJ

Hey Bster,

My best stuff comes from limiting my ideas and changing what I'm limiting.

It may be my connection but in many spots I hear alot of noise on top.

Keep'm commin.
    RJ

Thanks RJ! That's an almost zen-like philsophy. Beautiful in its simplicity. I'll have to put that on a sticky note above my monitor...

B'ster
    oroboros
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: An experiment of sorts... [NEW LINK] 2005/06/08 20:25:32 (permalink)
    I like everything except the key signature changes - where the notes are is great, the patterns work well, and the song is well 'recorded', but the key ranges that the notes shift to from measure to measure are a little discordant. It almost sounds like you're mixing flats and sharps or something. Otherwise I think it follows the conventions well. My 2 cents.

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: An experiment of sorts... [NEW LINK] 2005/06/08 20:44:46 (permalink)
    HI B'Ster!
    I just want to say that you've got more than ONE great song here!
    RJ is totally right...and it's tough to restrict yourself. It's where I went wrong with my MORNING STAR tune if the truth be told. I just didn't reign in enough and I kept piling on melodies and ideas.
    That's what you've done here.
    The major motif you've got workin here is AWESOME and I mean that! I love the hook! It's great funky house....almost trance....but definitely FUNKY HOUSE.
    Love the key sig changes so its obviously subjective I guess. It just made such a cool housey vibe to the song.
    Your transitions showed A TON of different styles coming into play... rolling snares, Big Hits, etc all of which I thought created a bit of clutter in the song. I pretty much agree with what they're saying about having too many tidbits in this.
    But pare it back and work that main theme baby cuz it smokes!!!

I'm still hummin' it!!

P.S. for the record, I am no authority on trance. Most of my TranceAddict.com peers will tell you I still haven't caught on myself. See, I listen to Euro Dance which trance elitists HATE WITH A PASSION. I try to do a mix of trance and Euro because, admittedly, I just like less repetition and more musical content to my stuff. Most TRANCERS will say I'm NOT a trance producer. I'm EXTREMELY surprised I haven't been "called onto the carpet" in these boards yet by "real" trancers.
    Bradster
    RE: An experiment of sorts... [NEW LINK] 2005/06/08 21:58:28 (permalink)
    Thanks OB and DA!

I was intentionally aiming for 2 different themes so as to not come out with something monotonous, though I hadn't given much thought to an overall key signature. Perhaps this is what is most jarring (or discordant, as OB says). This isn't required it seems and I could extract 2 different pieces out of this monster.

Funky House. Hmmm. Is this anything similar to Acid Jazz, like St. Germain? I'm still a bit fuzzy on the exact criteria of each subgenre. D.A., I know you posted something awhile back about some aspects of trance (minor key, emphasis on second beat, etc.). I like trance and I think I can tell it when I hear it, but I couldn't for the life of me recite a recepie for making it.

And I know what you're saying about the sniping between the purists in the various camps. Tell them to get over it and just make some music!

We'll see what I can make of this. I'm headed up to San Francisco for a long weekend, perpahs I'll come back with some inspiration.

B'ster
    Digital Aura
    RE: An experiment of sorts... [NEW LINK] 2005/06/08 22:03:47 (permalink)
    Yeah, good luck bro!
    Dont give up on this one yet either! I'm into the hook you've got! Its sweet!
    The intro synth pad (is that a saw pad?) is quite thick and the reverb is a tad overkill.
    But this has real potential and if it was mine I'd definitely want to finish it up!
    Digital Aura
    RE: An experiment of sorts... [NEW LINK] 2005/06/08 23:28:53 (permalink)
    Here's something you might like to browse over.
    Made by Alanzo and Vert (my boyz @ tranceaddict.com)

www.TRANCEPRODUCTION.com
    Bradster
    RE: An experiment of sorts... [NEW LINK] 2005/06/08 23:44:41 (permalink)
    Thanks D.A. You're a terrific enabler.

RJ
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: An experiment of sorts... [NEW LINK] 2005/06/09 11:28:28 (permalink)
    And I know what you're saying about the sniping between the purists in the various camps. Tell them to get over it and just make some music!

You got it! Here is the next thing to post on your fridge... Never, Ever change one note of your creativity because it fits in one category or another. Let the BLOG pundits worry about all that!

RJ
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: An experiment of sorts... [NEW LINK] 2005/06/09 22:03:53 (permalink)
    I almost missed this one.
    this sounds pretty cool.....has some odd note structures in it...but thats what makes it sound so cool.
    nice track...

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1