Project 5 V2 - controlling external synths

Author
sonarfreq
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/06/09 20:52:15 (permalink)

Project 5 V2 - controlling external synths

Hi everyone,

Just getting into Project 5 V2, and I want to be able to record midi information from my Karma keyboard while hearing it play at the same time, i.e. I want a MIDI THRU capability while I`m recording midi data into P5V2, like I have in Sonar 3 Producer already?

I`m using the Karma as my controller keyboard for the internal synths in P5V2 fine, just want to be able to add some synced sounds from my Karma into the mix so to speak, and then once I get sequence right record it into an audio track in P5V2 so I`ve captured it permanently so to speak...

Ive searched like crazy through all the info on here and elsewhere, but the only references I can find to controlling external synths are those detailing the use of the RGC audio plugin to create a midi out in P5V1 !!

There are some cryptic references that this should be easier to do in V2 than it was in V1 so I`m assuming there is now another way to do it, but I don`t know how...

Anybody help please?

Cheers ;)

2 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Project 5 V2 - controlling external synths 2005/06/09 21:46:38 (permalink)
    Hi Sean, and welcome to the forum!

Project5 was not designed to control outboard synthesizers and it does not have any MIDI output capability (other than sending MIDI synchronization/timing to allow outboard hardware to stay synchronized with Project5). Instead, it is a soft-synth studio and live instrument with a cool sequencer and arpeggiator.

However, as you have read, RGC:Audio has created a software synthesizer whose purpose is to send its virtual MIDI input to a physical MIDI output port. This will allow Project5 to send MIDI data to an outboard hardware instrument. It does work well for this task.

You can download the MIDIOut plugin for free from Cakewalk at this URL: http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/DXi/RGC.asp

As far as using the MIDIOut plugin here is what you need to know:

1. Launch Project5 and create a new blank project.
    2. Insert a new instrument track and select the "MIDIOut" DXi plugin as the instrument.
    3. Select the MIDI source for the track as usual.
    4. Open the MIDIOut DXi's user interface by clicking in the track on the instrument interface button.
    5. In the MIDIOut DXi's user interface click once on the text "MIDIOut" to open a popup list of MIDI output ports on your system.
    6. Select the MIDI output port that your hardware synthesizer is connected to.

Now play your controller--the MIDI data should flow out to the hardware synth. If you use Project5's sequencer to record your performance it will be remembered in the track. On playback of the track the MIDI data will also flow out to the hardware synth. After you're all done MIDI editing and recording you can insert an audio track and select the audio input that your hardware synth's audio output is connected to. Arm this audio track for recording and playback your sequence. It will record the audio of the hardware synth being played by the Project5 MIDI sequencer.

-Techead
    sonarfreq
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Project 5 V2 - controlling external synths 2005/06/10 05:49:41 (permalink)
    Hi Bob,

Thanks very much indeed for the detailed reply...

I`ll be trying it out as soon as I get home tonight!

Cheers ;)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1