New Member Here

Author
Heliotrope68
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 54
2005/06/10 04:42:43 (permalink)

New Member Here

Hi Guy's and hopefully Gal's ,
New member here , currently a Live 4.0 and Reason 3 user (with various other VSTi's ie: FM-7 , Kubik , Absynth etc).
Have decided to get Project 5 instead of Live 5 when it's released.
Put an ordering deposit down last week on P5 V2 and I pick her up this Thursday.
Dimention was a bit of a clincher I must confess and the midi editing etc is far more advanced than in Live 4.0 also IMHO.
I am however as stated pretty much blown away by Dimension / Psyn II and all the other drum synths / samplers etc that come with the package.
It seems to sit more comfortably between Live performance tool and pro-end DAW for my liking .
As a musician I've seen a bigger growth in DJ use and interest in the Ableton forums.
It's not really the direction I wanted it to go and I haven't been totally happy with the midi implementation / quantize features and the like for quite a while.
Looking forward to getting to know everyone.
Is 37 a bit old for these forums ? (I hope not)
Can't wait till this Thursday.
If I really take too this app (which after demo-ing it extensively I'd say I will) I will probably sell Live 4 (with discounted upgrade to V5) and purchase Reaktor 5 instead.
Just wanted to say hi and looking forward to becoming part of the P5 users community.
How is the manual for P5 ( and is it a hardcopy manual or purely PDF) ?
I hope it makes for some great reading.
Cheers
Helio

Does anybody really need a signature ?

13 Replies Related Threads

wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: New Member Here 2005/06/10 08:41:37 (permalink)

welcome
    i think you'll find this a relatively friendly and helpful group

you bring an interesting perspective as an Ableton user. Now before you do anything you may regret, you are aware that there's a Live Five coming? Some Live users are very excited about this.
    You should also be aware that with P5 v2 both Reason and Live can be Rewired into P5 -- though there's always some hedging about how convenient that really is.

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: New Member Here 2005/06/10 08:51:29 (permalink)
    Hi Oscar, and welcome to the forum!

37 is NOT too old to benefit from the power of Project5--we're all sickly ADDICTED too it around here. We've even got an addicted Grandpa and an addicted Grandma! (you'll have to search the forum to catch the humor in that one).

Yes, Dimension and company are some very nice synth/sampler tools. Very expressive. The whole P5 system is very open so you can also add tons of other free/commercial synthesizers to it.

The manual for P5 is fairly sparse, but there are some great documentation lurking about in various places.

For starters, checkout the new Project5 Wiki website at http://p5.sonarama.com/ where we are collecting into one place a lot of the precious Project5 info that is scattered about on the forum, on the Project5 website and on the Cakewalk website.

I have created a "tutorials" page on the P5 Wiki with quick links to all of the most important information. Be sure to sign up for an account there and browse through the site. Also, feel free to contribute your knowledge to the site--we can all edit pages and put stuff up there.

www.project5.com is an excellent resource to review.

And be sure to chat often in the forums--I learn something new almost everyday by participating in these here threads!

-Techead
    TheOrphan
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: New Member Here 2005/06/10 10:45:56 (permalink)
    Hello and welcome Heliotrope68!
    You've joined a very friendly forum and bought yourself some very useful software - I know you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of both. A lot of helpful people over here, and a bunch of us over here that also use Reaktor 5 with P5v2. Enjoy!
    mike85021
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: New Member Here 2005/06/10 11:14:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Heliotrope68

Hi Guy's and hopefully Gal's ,
    New member here , currently a Live 4.0 and Reason 3 user (with various other VSTi's ie: FM-7 , Kubik , Absynth etc).
    Have decided to get Project 5 instead of Live 5 when it's released.

Welcome aboard! Your comments on Live are right on. At this point, they're playing catch-up. Although they're going in similar directions, I think P5v2 is superior for created as opposed to arranged music -- the distinction being that with Live, you are apt to use canned clips rather than to create your own melodies and riffs. Don’t get me wrong, I like both. I will probably upgrade to Live 5, but the upgrade for P5v2 was a much better deal than Ableton offers.

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    grandpa mojo
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    RE: New Member Here 2005/06/10 11:41:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Heliotrope68
    Dimention was a bit of a clincher I must confess and the midi editing etc is far more advanced than in Live 4.0 also IMHO.
    I am however as stated pretty much blown away by Dimension / Psyn II and all the other drum synths / samplers etc that come with the package.

Dimension completely ROCKS! - P5 would be worth the cost alone just for this synth. I personally LOVE Psyn II. It's an amazingly versatile synth with really Phat sounds! - I put together the presets for the "F" bank. Very vintage... very "wooly"... Let me know what you think. Also Rene (creator of both Dimension and Psyn) frequents this forum a lot and is always more than willing to help people out... Kind of rare (and cool!) that a developer hangs and helps out in an online community.

It seems to sit more comfortably between Live performance tool and pro-end DAW for my liking.
    As a musician I've seen a bigger growth in DJ use and interest in the Ableton forums.

Kind of straddling that ground myself... an old jazz dude who can appreciate a good turntablist.

Is 37 a bit old for these forums ? (I hope not)

Younger than me... - but I'm not really a grandpa... (not yet that is! - and God I hope not soon! - I've got a 16 year old son!)

If I really take too this app (which after demo-ing it extensively I'd say I will) I will probably sell Live 4 (with discounted upgrade to V5) and purchase Reaktor 5 instead.

I wouldn't do that. Live and P5 both live happily on my computer. (Reason too... ooops - was that sacrilege?)

How is the manual for P5 ( and is it a hardcopy manual or purely PDF) ?

Don't get your hopes up... but this forum is a good resource and so is www.project5.com

- Grandpa Mojo
    www.grandpamojo.com

P.S. I'd HIGHLY recommend getting Reaktor 5 if you can swing it... Amazing synth package...
    P.P.S. Oh yeah... and welcome to the forum...
    P.P.P.S. And welcome from B Rock (who is on vacation at the moment) - He's sort of our patron saint around here... and we promised we'd keep the store running while he was gone!
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: New Member Here 2005/06/10 17:38:28 (permalink)
    Yeah...welcome Oscar!

Welcome to the new world! You'll find this a haven of friendly and knowledgeable folks and a refuge from the flaming and trolling over at OTHER forums.
    There are no stupid questions in this forum! Only stupid people... no... I mean... if you don't ask you won't learn...so you'll remain stupid ... if you dont ask that is... well.. nevermind.
    Good luck with your P5!!

Heliotrope68
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: New Member Here 2005/06/11 00:42:35 (permalink)
    Thankyou for the warm welcome.
    I am fully aware of Live 5 being released "soonish".
    I have however roadtested the demo of P5 V2 and been given a lengthy instore test of all features of the full version of P5 .
    The big winner for me besides far superior supplied instruments was the marriage between the groove/cell grid and arrangement view.
    Far superior midi editing by a long shot.
    P5 handles multiple time signatures far more effectively also (something that still hasn't been addressed in Live V5).
    I also have no need for the newer remix features and dj functions in Live 5 or see the need for MP3 file support (as I am no DJ).
    The midi is at best adequate in Live 4 and many issues haven't IMHO been adressed midi wise with the new update.
    Besides which Live 3 cost me $799 in my country ,Live cost me $250 to update to Live 4 and Operator cost around $275 after currency conversion ......sadly I'm not and infinite money pit full of $$$$ to appease upgrade options (that's another story altogether) .
    Reason 3 is a great update and the Combinator really save's me alot of hastle (infact I only work with Combi patches now with Reason). That said they sound damn good and R3 was a great update.
    I don't perform live either and as a studio based composer I still feel Project 5 stradles the gap between performance instrument and DAW more effectively.
    Bare in mind though I don't wish this to become a Live vs P5 thread.
    I just don't feel comfortable with the direction Live has taken and it doesn't suit my personal needs as well.
    It is still a great app.
    It just has a clumsy marraige between session and arranger view (both of which I use extensively)
    I pick up P5 this Thursday .
    Really looking forward to becoming better aquainted with it.
    As I've said I'll hold off my judgement on selling Live 4 and replacing it with Reaktor5 for a few months at best.
    I may end up still keeping Live but not updating to V5 myself.
    Thankyou once again for the warm welcome and it's nice know I'm not the only oldie here lol.
    Mike West
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: New Member Here 2005/06/11 01:23:50 (permalink)
    All the best, sir! 37 is young by my standards, but I'm 39.

Please visit http://p5.sonarama.com as well, where a number of users have organized and posted some terrific help and pointers for p5. The doc with p5 is indeed sparse, but between this group, http://www.project5.com , and http://p5.sonarama.com , you're sure to find some great information.

Glorph
    MiWi
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: New Member Here 2005/06/11 02:34:34 (permalink)
    37? You're just a young whipper-snapper!

Why, when I was 37, we didn't have ones and zeroes for music (well, I guess we did, we just didn't have so many of them).

Welcome to the forum. (By the way, I think 51 is still young - and 81 will be young when I get there)

Mike

:10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: New Member Here 2005/06/11 11:11:40 (permalink)
    welcome to the forum.
    Im 28.....just nine more years to go......

DaveElson
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 350
    RE: New Member Here 2005/06/11 12:18:46 (permalink)
    Welcome. If you haven't already seen it, you can download the help file as a pdf and print it out.
    Available here:
    http://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/kb2005257.asp

Oh - and by the way - I'm 52 (next week) and just starting to learn the guitar. Plan to include it in my heavy metal piece one day.....

You will find the people here very friendly.
    ecamburn
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: New Member Here 2005/06/11 19:41:51 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you've done your homework. I look forward to hearing about your experience using P5 as a seasoned live user.

BTW, I hate to admit it but I'm probably older than grandpa (man that doesn't sound good) . I have a daughter who's turning 21 this fall.

Eric

LixiSoft
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: New Member Here 2005/06/11 19:46:05 (permalink)
    Oh - and by the way - I'm 52 (next week) and just starting to learn the guitar.

LOL...Happy Birthday !!! He..he..I'm 55, I've been learning guitar since I was 9. Maybe one day I'll get the hang of it

LixiSoft
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1