Guitar to MIDI to DXi?

Author
metaprog
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 551
2005/06/10 05:30:01 (permalink)

Guitar to MIDI to DXi?

Hello. My first real post. Sonar 4 on the way, and I'm getting my feet wet.

I have a keyboard, but no skills in that department - I largely picked it up to aid me in composition. So in order to take advantage of MIDI capabilities, I'm thinking seriously of picking up a guitar-to-MIDI system. I may plunk down some pads on the keys, but I really think that the bulk of my MIDI work, realistically, had better be from an instrument that I'm half-decent with.

So my question is twofold: (1) does the guitar-to-MIDI-to (say) a DXi synth work well? and (2) what are some major things to be thinking about if I'm going this route?

I'd like to have some idea in advance if the guitar-to-MIDI route is a realistic option before plonking down some cash, because the equipment obviously isn't cheap.

Thanks!

DAW: Studiocat Core2Duo, Asus P5K mobo, 4GB 1066Mhz WinXP2 > Sonar 5.2 PE > Lynx 1 > VXP/GT Brick
Mics: GT-66 / Guitars: Carvin DC400, Brian Moore i21.13, Ibanez JS1000, Morris W616, Rodriguez A, Takamine EG523SC-12, Peavey Fury bass

19 Replies Related Threads

KLG
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/10 05:43:18 (permalink)
    I have no experience to MIDI guitars, but there's a cheap alternative that you may want to check out before spending the cash. Check out the thread here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41787&highlight=
    metaprog
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/10 05:53:12 (permalink)
    Thanks, KLG. I think I had seen these before, but had completely forgotten about them. Something to think about, for sure, but I suspect that my playing would be considerably better with a guitar. One of the things that is really important to me is orchestral strings. I just listened to a demo of a Roland guitar MIDI controller, and the violin was unbelievable - could have sworn it was real. But I think that is really made possible by the fact that both instruments are stringed.

I dunno. I appreciate the response. Hopefully, there will be more.

DAW: Studiocat Core2Duo, Asus P5K mobo, 4GB 1066Mhz WinXP2 > Sonar 5.2 PE > Lynx 1 > VXP/GT Brick
    Mics: GT-66 / Guitars: Carvin DC400, Brian Moore i21.13, Ibanez JS1000, Morris W616, Rodriguez A, Takamine EG523SC-12, Peavey Fury bass
    seriousfun
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 641
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/10 12:47:52 (permalink)
    MIDI guitar technology is pretty well-developed these days.

I use a Roland GK-2a pickup (I move it between a strat-type guitar and a LP Jr.-type guitar) through an old GR-09 and a new GI-20. The GR-09 internal sounds are somewhat useable and its MIDI output is somewhat useable; the GI-20 does not have internal sounds, but its MIDI out, to go to the computer either via USB or your soundcard's MIDI interface (or to an external synthesizer or module and then to the computer as audio), is very useable. I am about to finish an electric guitar with a Graphtech Ghost system, which should work better than the Roland by all reports (Graphtech, as with the RMC system that Brian Moore Guitars uses, is a piezo pickup, and Roland uses a magnetic pickup which is...pickier).

I am much better on guitar than on keys for fast melodic or lead lines, so this is primarily what I use the MIDI guitar for. I can do pads OK on keys, but my voicings are usually different on guitar (it might just be me, but orchestral string parts on keys seem to be more normal than my orchestral string parts on guitar).

I sometimes record the MIDI data, but don't have it drive anything, while recording a guitar part. This has proved very useful when doubling a guitar part, either rhythm or lead, with odd keyboard or sampled sounds. You can also record the piezo pickup sound, which can be used for doubling purposes later on, too.

Make sure you tune your recording system for low-latency, since you will need all the help you can get while tracking MIDI guitar. Some players moan and complain about how they have to change their playing style with MIDI guitar, but for me it is not much different than the switch from acoustic to electric, or from a Strat to a Les Paul - not worse, just different.

Doug Osborne
    DroopyPawn
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/10 13:42:46 (permalink)
    I have a GR-33 and a Roland Ready Strat - which I have used for a couple of years. It's usefull if you want to spend the time tracking and retracking until you get it right.
    RonsZound
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 316
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/10 14:39:54 (permalink)
    (1) does the guitar-to-MIDI-to (say) a DXi synth work well? and (2) what are some major things to be thinking about if I'm going this route?

metaprog,

I've recently added a GR-33 and Godin xtSA guitar to my collection of toys. I've been quite happy with the tracking capability of the Godin with the Roland. Also the electric pickups are also quite nice. I like it better than my PRS.

Anyway, I connect the GR-33 to Sonar via an Edirol FA-101 audio/midi interface. It works well with playing DXi/VSTi pluggins. To play in realtime I use ASIO drivers to get low latencies between my interface and Sonar (~9mSec).

The only problems that I have experienced when using the GR-33 with the plugins are how the expression pedals effect the plug in. On occation, I've noticed that the slide pedal has caused major failure of the plugin.

Good Luck,
    Ron
    metaprog
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/10 16:52:21 (permalink)
    Thanks, all of you. I'm definitely serious about the guitar-to-MIDI in the long term. Better hold onto my $$ until I'm further into the project though.

KLG's suggestion is intriguing, and one can actually pick up an EZ-AGAD from Sam's Club for the neighbourhood of $150. But I suspect I'd get frustrated with it - feel like it was a toy. Maybe I wouldn't feel that way if I could use it for a week and verify what could be done with it. But I'll hold off for the moment and see what transpires.

Everything is money. (But money isn't everything.)

ccc
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/10 18:59:07 (permalink)
    I sometimes record the MIDI data, but don't have it drive anything, while recording a guitar part.

So if I'm understanding this correctly I could get a Roland GK-2a pickup and connect it to my soundcard's midi port and record.

seriousfun, please confirm this.
    juca
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/10 20:37:34 (permalink)
    Hi Chris:
    No. You need go with the GK2 to a MIDI translate device, as the Roland GR/GI series and from there (MIDI out) go to the MIDI In of your sound card/MIDI interface. Only the signal of the GK2 no drive the MIDI In of your sound card/MIDI Inteface.
    Greetings.

****** Juca Nascimento ******
    Keyboards/Composer/Arranger

ZenFly
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/11 09:59:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: seriousfun

MIDI guitar technology is pretty well-developed these days.

I use a Roland GK-2a pickup (I move it between a strat-type guitar and a LP Jr.-type guitar) through an old GR-09 and a new GI-20. The GR-09 internal sounds are somewhat useable and its MIDI output is somewhat useable; the GI-20 does not have internal sounds, but its MIDI out, to go to the computer either via USB or your soundcard's MIDI interface (or to an external synthesizer or module and then to the computer as audio), is very useable.

How do you like the GI20? I've thought of getting that unit. Tried one at a friends house, but I thought the latency was a bit much although it could've been his setup.

Personally I have a GR33 and VG8ex. I've done a lot of recording with the GR33 but only "live" not midi or triggering vsynths. I use the RMC system installed on a Parker Fly Classic..triggers like a dream, even sweeps.
    LixiSoft
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/11 14:20:07 (permalink)
    RMC Pickups RULE......no matter what interface you use. RMC is the BEST 13 Pin Midi Pickup Period !! Better than the Roland Ready stuff. When it comes to midi guitar pickups RMC are the KING OF THE HILL !!!

LixiSoft
    ChrisM
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/11 16:51:28 (permalink)
    Have to agree here - the RMC route is definitley the way to go in terms of MIDI capable pickups. Here's my story on how I came to this conclusion - long winded but hopefully useful !

I tried various software solutions without a MIDI enabled guitar and they were all pretty useless. I have some keyboards but I am no master at keyboards so I thought the hell with it and bought a Roland GR-20 (349 Pounds Sterling), which comes with the new GK3 pickup. This was actually pretty good. It was easy enough to fit the GK3 to one of my Strats (definitley have to screw it on though - the sticky tape option is to fragile) and it tracked pretty well, meaning that it triggered the sounds on the GR-20 quite accuratley and could trigger Soft Synths through the GR-20 . The sounds on the GR-20 are OK but not very tweakable. The only thing that I found problematic was that the tracking was just not accurate and reliable enough - you really have to be careful how you play and adapt your style somewhat.

So ... a mate of mine introduced me to a mate of his who used a Godin LGXT guitar, which has the RMC transducers built into the bridge, with the Roland GR-33 . This guy plays live with this set up - just him a couple of Roland Loopstations, the Godin and the Gr-33. The sounds he gets out of this are awesome and he plays some pretty complicated arrangements. I tried the guitar and the tracking is absolutely spot on , far superior to the GK3. The additional benefit of the RMC system is that you also get an acoustic sound for your electric guitar - so you have three sound sources : Magnetic pickups for the electric, RMC for the acoustic and synth, each with its own seperate output or mixed via the 13 pin synth output.

So I bought a Godin LGXT and it really is a fantastic instrument. Tracks fine and allows me to trigger Soft synths just fine - you can even have different patchs / synths triggered by different strings. It all works fine in Sonar and I am now able to use the guitar as my main composition instrument which just makes things a whole lot easier for me.

I have since bought a second hand GR-33 (199 Pounds Sterling) as this box is a lot more tweakable than the GR-20 and better for live work.

If you are serious about doing MIDI with Guitar then I think the RMC solution is the best way to go. There are a number of diiferent guitars that you can buy with this setup most notably Godin and Brian Moore Guitars. The prices range from around 300 pounds sterling to 1600 pounds sterling . The RMC techology is the same, but the prices reflect the overall quality of the instrument and the woods and magnetic pickups used. I went for the LGXT because its also a very nice and playable guitar.

Having got the guitar you then need to get a GR-20, GR-33, GI-20 or some other 13 pin MIDI box (Axon and Yamaha make them I believe). The GI-20 is a pretty much a straight midi Converter, with a few frills, allegedly the most accurate for tracking, but costs 399 pound sterling ! - The GR-20 is good for starting out with and possibly cheapest option if you mainly want to do trigger soft synths. The GR-33 is probably the best all round , but is the most expensive (430 pounds sterling new) .

Anyway I hope this helps

Cheers - Chris

metaprog
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/11 17:42:25 (permalink)
    Thanks, Chris! That was VERY helpful.

I'm not in a spot to be able to afford another expensive guitar. OTOH, I have no plans of putting screws into my Carvin. It's a thing of beauty, and I don't want to mess around with it.

I guess what I'd be interested in knowing is: if you're using the guitar strictly to drive a soft synth, is the guitar quality going to affect the sound a great deal? For straight guitar work, I think I will stick with the Carvin, so if I'm going to have a separate MIDI solution, I'd obviously like it to be as economical as possible.

8ftsq
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 230
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/11 18:32:10 (permalink)
    Hey metaprog,
    I have a Brian Moore 13 pin guitar and a GI-20.My story is similiar in that I can't play keys well enough to do anything productive,so midi guitar was my solution.They both work pretty well for tracking synths,strings,etc.When I record midi tracks I edit all the notes below a certain velocity in the piano roll view.My technique is reasonably clean,but there always seems to be "glitch "notes recorded also.As long as you realise that it's not a perfect thing,and your technique may have to adapt a little,I think you'd be happy with using a midi guitar system.I use soft synths only (Reason).I don't play shows or anything with it,so I have no hardware synths.

One thing though if you go the software synth route,you have to have a pretty fast PC in order to negate the latency thing.That will ruin the whole experience for you.I have been able to track at 2.9 msec,and it feels OK.

Good luck with your decision.If you have any specific questions about my set up,I'd be happy to help if I can.

Frank

Athlon xp 2800
    a7n8x-x mobo
    1 gb ram
    m-audio 2496 PCI
    XP home
    Sonar Home studio
    Reason 2.5

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=335809
    ChrisM
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/11 18:33:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: metaprog

Thanks, Chris! That was VERY helpful.

I'm not in a spot to be able to afford another expensive guitar. OTOH, I have no plans of putting screws into my Carvin. It's a thing of beauty, and I don't want to mess around with it.

Understand that - I screwed the GK3 on to my least used guitar (a jap fender strat) and still have it on there. It only needs a couple of small screw holes , so its not that invasive. The sticky tape option does work - but tends to come loose - you could persevere with it and replace the tape every now and again, but it depends on wether it will fit on your guitar in the first place. The GK3 does come with several options for different guitars. The control unit is fixed non invasivley.

I guess what I'd be interested in knowing is: if you're using the guitar strictly to drive a soft synth, is the guitar quality going to affect the sound a great deal? For straight guitar work, I think I will stick with the Carvin, so if I'm going to have a separate MIDI solution, I'd obviously like it to be as economical as possible.

The guitar quality is more important if you want to use it as a normal guitart as well. The sound coming from the synths is not at all dependent on the quality of the sound of the guitar - i.e. the woods or pickups etc. It just needs to have a neck that produces a clear note. If you just want to use it as a synth guitar then the cheaper ones will work. Godin are bringing out a version of the Freeway guitar with the RMC transducers which is a relatively inexpensive option.

Having said all that - possibly the best and cheapest option is to just get the GR-20. You will need to get a GR-20 , GI-20, GR33 or some other box anyway and the GR-20 comes with the GK3 pickup (which can be stuck on and is more flexible and accurate than the GK2A) - try it out and see how you get on. Its the cheapest option and does work if you take time to set it up correctly. I found it perfectly acceptable for getting MIDI into Sonar - albeit with some slight editing and concentration on guitar technique, but I also wanted to do live work and hence my decision to go for a quality guitar with the added option of being a great MIDI guitar - which is more flexible for me. (I'm also a sucker for boutique guitars !)

Then if you really get into playing synths from your guitar - think about buying a cheap guitar (Chinese , or Korean lookalike) and screwing the GK3 to that. If you REALLY get into it then buy a Godin or a Brian Moore or some other RMC kitted guitar - you will notice the difference in the tracking and overall ease of playing.

Hope this helps

Cheers - Chris
    metaprog
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/11 19:01:23 (permalink)
    Chris: Thanks again. At this point, I don't expect to do a whole lot of stuff live, although the option is nice.

8ftsq: Not too worried about my computer. I'm running 3Ghz/1 GB RAM. The only thing is that I don't have an external drive, which I know a lot of people recommend for audio. My interface is pretty cheap - just a US-122, but for my level of musicianship, it's probably enough! (Tho I must say - once I saw the BOSS GS-10, I was almost kicking myself. That thing does everything, and I could certainly use the guitar effects.)

ccc
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/11 20:05:30 (permalink)
    All of your posts got me very interested in this. I'm a home musician and I can't play keys very well. This is the perfect solution for me. But I don't need a module for sounds I just need the converter. Have any of you heard of or tried the Shadow SH-075?
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/11 20:50:27 (permalink)
    The web page I went to said the shadow is no longer being made. Get the Roland GR-33 or GR-20. That's the standard and will be around for a long time.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/6242/shadow/shadow.html

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    mor54
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/11 22:48:45 (permalink)
    I use a Gogin xtsa and a Roland GI-20 control. Works great with outboard synths and softsynths. Fast tracking.
    ccc
    RE: Guitar to MIDI to DXi? 2005/06/12 14:43:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info & link Dave. I've been digging around the net a bit and found the GVOX Guitar. It looks cheap, but since the price is dirt cheap I'm gonna try it. Anyone try it or hear of it?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1