So.. How do you guys use your controllers?

Author
Grey
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 32
2005/06/10 11:34:25 (permalink)

So.. How do you guys use your controllers?

Hi all,

Long time Sonar user, newbie P5 user. I just got my first controller capable of slider and knob assignments (Evolution 461C... everything I've used until now was just a keyboard). So anyway, last night I spent a considerable amount of time making remote control assignments. I'd come up with a layout that I thought would be good, and then would realize that it might be better to do it a different way. So then, I'd re-program everything, just to reconsider everything yet again. So my question is this: How do you guys like to use your controllers? I'm thinking maybe you guys have some clever ideas I may not have thought of...

btw.. I'm going to crosspost in the P5 forum too, for any of you that might see the same thread over there.

Mike

6 Replies Related Threads

stephenlnoe
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: So.. How do you guys use your controllers? 2005/06/10 19:06:47 (permalink)
    Does the controller have a Mackie emulation mode? If so then the assignments are already done for you. It's something to consider. I use a Behringer BCF2000 in Mackie emulation mode and it works perfectly and I didn't program a thing. Your's may have the same type of emulation. If not then you can program your's like the mackie control surface assignments and be able to get up and running.
    Grey
    RE: So.. How do you guys use your controllers? 2005/06/10 19:43:14 (permalink)
    Not sure about the Mackie emu mode, but I've been working with the Generic Control surface. The only problem is that I can't figure out how to assign controls to EQ with it. There doesn't seem to be anything related to EQ in the drop down menu. I can assign EQ controls to individual tracks as I need them, but I was hoping to be able to have a generic assignment that I could use in track banks sets of 8.
    stingie@tstt.net.tt
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: So.. How do you guys use your controllers? 2005/06/11 05:39:08 (permalink)
    I am using an Edirol PCR 50. How do you control individual tracks with it? I too am not too familiar with midi controllers.

Nice Tracks Recording Studio. Intel Dual core 13ins i5 MacBook Pro 2.5 Ghz. Quad core i5, Win 7 home premium 64 bit, 8 Ghz memory, 2 WD Caviar Black 7200 HDs. G-Tech hard drives, M-Audio Axiom 25, Fender Stratocaster guitar, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP firewire audio interface.
    Grey
    RE: So.. How do you guys use your controllers? 2005/06/12 17:59:59 (permalink)
    Without knowing anything about the Edirol, it's tough to answer. You can either create a interface using the Generic Control Surface plug, or just simply use the learn function for a particular track's control, and do it as you need it. Just remember to disarm it when you're finished, or you could end up with some screwy automations recorded later on in the project, when you've forgotten what you've assigned to which control.
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: So.. How do you guys use your controllers? 2005/06/12 18:14:47 (permalink)
    Grey,

I still getting used to using my controller to it's fullest extent. I too have a BCF2000, and I love it. I Arm my tracks, Mute, Solo, and Pan. I close windows, insert my Audio and Midi tracks. I use it to assign my Aux to my main outs, or my tracks to one of my Auxes. I can apply certain plugins, but I am learning how to use this correctly. I use th BCF to move my forward and backward in my project as well as input markers, record, apply automation mode. I was only getting started !!!

Like stephenlnoe said, just place it in Mackie Emulation mode, and you are ready to go.

Peace

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Sonic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1517
    RE: So.. How do you guys use your controllers? 2005/06/12 18:43:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jesse G

Grey,

I still getting used to using my controller to it's fullest extent. I too have a BCF2000, and I love it. I Arm my tracks, Mute, Solo, and Pan. I close windows, insert my Audio and Midi tracks. I use it to assign my Aux to my main outs, or my tracks to one of my Auxes. I can apply certain plugins, but I am learning how to use this correctly. I use th BCF to move my forward and backward in my project as well as input markers, record, apply automation mode. I was only getting started !!!

Like stephenlnoe said, just place it in Mackie Emulation mode, and you are ready to go.

Peace

I need to get me one of those things...

The best is always yet to come. Now...shut up and make some noise!
    A small sample of my music... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/turtlebend2.htm
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1