Question about splitting tracks

Author
jballer13
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2005/06/10 18:51:36 (permalink)

Question about splitting tracks

Hey I'm still trying to get the hang of mixing and mastering and i have a newbie question. I was wondering if there is any way to split a track into more than 1 part. I want to do this so that I can adjust volume levels of a single take during certain parts of the song. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

8 Replies Related Threads

papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Question about splitting tracks 2005/06/10 19:15:46 (permalink)
    Huh?

Regards,
    Papa
    8ftsq
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 230
    RE: Question about splitting tracks 2005/06/10 21:03:29 (permalink)
    You might want to look into "track envelopes" in the help index.Also check out "snapshots".Basically,these are both ways to automate your mix.There are envelopes for volume, pan ,effects levels,etc,that you can "draw in" on top of your track.Snapshots are an even faster way to set up changes.(Almost instantaneous).You basically set the point at which you want the changes to happen.

You could split the track by slicing it,and then put the section on a new track with the volume set where you want it,but that seems like way too much work.

If I'm mistaken about what you were asking,just disregard my rambling.

Frank

Athlon xp 2800
    a7n8x-x mobo
    1 gb ram
    m-audio 2496 PCI
    XP home
    Sonar Home studio
    Reason 2.5

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=335809
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Question about splitting tracks 2005/06/10 22:09:53 (permalink)
    If you mean split a recording of multiple instruments into individual parts.... not bloody likely... Sorry....Can't do it. You can copy the tracks into multiple tracks and equalize them all differently to emphasize different frequencies in each, but you can't completely separate the instruments. Would be nice, but unfortunately, that's impossible.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    papa2004
    RE: Question about splitting tracks 2005/06/11 01:51:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jballer13

Hey I'm still trying to get the hang of mixing and mastering and i have a newbie question.

"Mixing" and "Mastering" are steps best left to those who know what they're doing...With all due respect, most "newbies" don't...First you should learn to get your "tracks" properly recorded...Unless you have plugins that AREN'T included in CW you can forget about trying to "master" (even on a "semi-pro" level)....

Regards,
    Papa
    Guitars2k4
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Question about splitting tracks 2005/06/11 10:51:14 (permalink)
    Papa...

What plugins are those? and where do you get em?
    Avid Merrion
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Question about splitting tracks 2005/06/13 04:53:26 (permalink)
    Huh?
    your emoticon is very cute. I think I want to follow it home.

What are you wearing down below? Thank you, please.
    lcmorley
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Question about splitting tracks 2005/06/13 05:16:49 (permalink)
    Papa2004.

As good as some of your advice is, I think that you are sometimes a little arrogant as you seem to enjoy putting people down a lot. Especially us Newbies.

With all due respect, I am quite sure that you had to start from somewhere.

We are all trying to learn this art of music making, and yes we are new, and yes this is a complicated art. You should however never put people down as I feel that music is about enjoyment, not about perfection.

post edited by lcmorley - 2005/06/13 09:19:51

Trance Music Rocks!

papa2004
    RE: Question about splitting tracks 2005/06/13 14:42:06 (permalink)
    You're right, lcmorley...I am "arrogant" (only in your perception of what arrogance is)...I've become that way after having spent nearly 40 years of my own time and money learning...Long before internet forums existed...I read; I experimented; I hung around recording studios in my spare time to learn; I spent more money on analog equipment in one year than most of the "newbies" around here will spend in a lifetime of purchasing home studio DAW software...

I spend anywhere from 8-12 hours a day getting paid for my "experience"...After that I log on to this forum to offer assistance to those who truly need it...Posts regarding "What do I need to connect my microphone to Cakewalk?" bring out my "arrogance" at times. I'm not getting paid to share my knowledge on these forums.

If you do a search of my posts, you'll find that I've offered many suggestions and "links" that help in equipment and/or methodology needs...I posted those links after doing a "Google" search (that the post originator could have just as easily done)...Too many of the "newbies" aren't doing a thing to help themselves...They want us "veterans" to give them a "Cliff Notes" version of how to make their productions sound like Sir George Martin, or George Massenburg, or Tom Dowd masterpieces.

Bottom line is: If you can't take constructive criticism, you're in the wrong business. Most of us doing this have, at best, average talent...We should accept that and learn to diversify by branching out into the engineering, or producing and/or other aspects of the business...To accomplish that demands much research and learning.

This isn't the Berklee College of Music...This is a forum for those experiencing problems directly related to Cakewalk Home Studio issues...It is not a forum designed to "virtually" do all the cabling & configuration of your studio equipment. All of that is either described in the respective manuals of your equipment, or otherwise considered fundamental knowledge that is universally considered to be "basic".

For my "arrogance", I apologize...For my total disdain for those who have, supposedly, "invested" in a legitimate copy of any DAW system and aren't willing to spend a little of their own time & money to make it work, I offer no apologies.

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1