Assigning faders in Mackie Control Universal..how?

Author
thndrsn
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 475
2005/06/10 19:33:38 (permalink)

Assigning faders in Mackie Control Universal..how?

How does one assign a Mackie Control Universal fader to a particular feature in SONAR?

I tried looking through the help file, but an answer was not readily available under any of the keywords I typed. I'll try again, but can anybody save me from having to read the whole thing line-by-line to find and answer to this question?

Particularly, when I move the master fader in Mackie, the stereo ouput of my MOTU 896HD mains out (exclusively) doesn't change, but one or the other, left or right only, changes. How do I get the slider to affect the whole stereo image? Is there some bleed through from elsewhere coming in that is not affected by the slider?

Second question: is it possible to assign more than one output to the master fader in a ganged array? Say, if I want the master fader to affect the output of several tracks or aux busses all at once, can I assign them all to the master fader and change the volume on all of them simultaneously by moving the master fader?

Thanks in advance.

--thndrsn

Beethoven was right: the bigger the stream, the deeper the tone.

9 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Assigning faders in Mackie Control Universal..how? 2005/06/10 19:40:15 (permalink)
    Particularly, when I move the master fader in Mackie, the stereo ouput of my MOTU 896HD mains out (exclusively) doesn't change, but one or the other, left or right only, changes. How do I get the slider to affect the whole stereo image? Is there some bleed through from elsewhere coming in that is not affected by the slider?

There is a lock button at the bottom of the fader click it. It will lock left and right to work as one.

Second question: is it possible to assign more than one output to the master fader in a ganged array? Say, if I want the master fader to affect the output of several tracks or aux busses all at once, can I assign them all to the master fader and change the volume on all of them simultaneously by moving the master fader?

Try using a group to do this.

Best
    John
    gonetocoda
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Assigning faders in Mackie Control Universal..how? 2005/06/10 19:41:25 (permalink)
    Ditto from me, too - especially the master fader thing. It only affects the left channel from my Rosetta, not the pair of output channels. At first, I didn't know what happened to my stereo field. Everything on the master bus (on the screen) was panned center, but the left channel had dropped back quite a bit. Here, I had accidently nudged the master fader - what a pain getting it back in exactly the correct place. No way to assign the default for the master fader, either.

Since then I moved my output pair to 3,4 so my master fader can no longer do harm !

Would love a solution, though.

John
    Forum Host
    RE: Assigning faders in Mackie Control Universal..how? 2005/06/10 19:46:49 (permalink)
    I had accidently nudged the master fader - what a pain getting it back in exactly the correct place. No way to assign the default for the master fader, either.

If you wish to get a fader back to 0 just double click on it.
    You can do this with any control of Sonar.

If you are using an MC you can assign your MC master to any output fader. This is done in the setup for the MC.

Best
    John
    post edited by John - 2005/06/10 19:51:36
    thndrsn
    RE: Assigning faders in Mackie Control Universal..how? 2005/06/11 06:33:19 (permalink)
    John,
    Thanks, ummm, but ...
    What button, where? In SONAR? ON the MCU? On my MOTU Cuemix console? I don't see anything matching that description anywhere.

Okay, in the Mackie config, I was able to select BUS and assign the fader to bus 1. Then if I assign a stereo audio track to bus A the Mackie master fader changes both left and right output together.

Is this the right way to do this?

I notice that when I assign a track to the MOTU out SONAR gives me options like 1 L, 1 R (i.e. 2), 1 stereo (i.e. 1 and 2), 3L, 3R (i.e 4), 3Stereo (i.e 3 & 4), but Mackie evidently sees only the 1 or the 2, the 3 or the 4 (but not both) on the master fader. It's the same if I assign a track to the MOTU main out or headphones. The Mackie master fader only controls L and R when I assign it to a bus.

Is the MCU control surface mechanically different from the MC?

Ummm, I found the Mackie in my MOTU CueMix console. Maybe that wasn't a good idea. I got to playing around with it, enabled it and set it to share the Mackie with other applications so that whichever application had the focus would control the Mackie. When MOTU CueMix has the focus, the faders move to match the CueMix screen. When I re-enter SONAR the faders all move to the bottom. Now playback has stopped and CueMix is not responding. SONAR is not responding.

Back to the drawing board. Any suggestions?

Thanks, again. As before, you've been very helpful when it comes to Mackie issues.

--thndrsn

John
    Forum Host
    RE: Assigning faders in Mackie Control Universal..how? 2005/06/11 08:26:19 (permalink)
    Okay, in the Mackie config, I was able to select BUS and assign the fader to bus 1. Then if I assign a stereo audio track to bus A the Mackie master fader changes both left and right output together.

This is not a good idea. The MC has a bus switch. The Master fader is for the Main outs. Do you have the Sonar overlay for the MC?
    If do then you will see a Control Group box. It has 3 buttons ,Track Aux and Main. Main = Bus. Hitting one will place the MC in that mode i.e. track, aux, bus. The 8 fader will be assigned to those controls. This will switch the MC from controlling the Tracks for example to controlling the Bus. You can’t get the faders on the MC to control the Main outs. But the Master fader can.
    What button, where? In SONAR? ON the MCU? On my MOTU Cuemix console? I don't see anything matching that description anywhere.

It is on the Console View in Sonar. It is a lock icon.
    Is the MCU control surface mechanically different from the MC?

No.
    Ummm, I found the Mackie in my MOTU CueMix console. Maybe that wasn't a good idea. I got to playing around with it, enabled it and set it to share the Mackie with other applications so that whichever application had the focus would control the Mackie. When MOTU CueMix has the focus, the faders move to match the CueMix screen. When I re-enter SONAR the faders all move to the bottom. Now playback has stopped and CueMix is not responding. SONAR is not responding.

I would not do this. Use the MC only for Sonar. Also it could be due to your MIDI drivers not being multi client. Let the MC do the job it was built for controlling a DAW.
    I notice that when I assign a track to the MOTU out SONAR gives me options like 1 L, 1 R (i.e. 2), 1 stereo (i.e. 1 and 2), 3L, 3R (i.e 4), 3Stereo (i.e 3 & 4), but Mackie evidently sees only the 1 or the 2, the 3 or the 4 (but not both) on the master fader. It's the same if I assign a track to the MOTU main out or headphones. The Mackie master fader only controls L and R when I assign it to a bus.

The MC sees nothing but what Sonar shows it. See answer 1 and 2.

When you are in the setup for the MC use F1 to get the documentation for the MC. it is a help file.

Best
    John
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Assigning faders in Mackie Control Universal..how? 2005/06/11 08:28:58 (permalink)
    Thanks, again. As before, you've been very helpful when it comes to Mackie issues.

I hope I have been helpful on other topics too.

Best
    John
    thndrsn
    RE: Assigning faders in Mackie Control Universal..how? 2005/06/12 07:09:52 (permalink)
    Yes, of course.

It's very late. I've been reading the help files, and experimenting with automation. Now I 've lost my Vsampler3 and help files. The minimized bars appear in SONAR but the Restore button does't work. I think I shouldn't have clicked the X in the upper right corner of Vsampler2 to get rid of it. Or else I never should have told SONAR to save the Vsampler3 wave files, because that made it hang when I typed in a filename for the sameple data. Or something. Now SONAR still thinks it's there but it doesn't think it is. I shut down and restarted XP and reloaded the project. SONAR can't find my any of the synths in the project now. There are buttons on the taskbar that name them and do nothing.

Too late to take a look at your post and reply before getting some sleep. These machines were invented to save us time, correct? Does that mean I'm entitled to a refund? ... (shouting) Okay, where's the guy that found all of my lost minutes?

I'll check out your suggestions when I can keep my eyes open again and let you know how they work.

Lock icon ... ? I don't remember seeing a lo... ... zzzzzz

--thndrsn

John
    Forum Host
    RE: Assigning faders in Mackie Control Universal..how? 2005/06/12 09:44:56 (permalink)
    I am assuming that you are using Sonar 4. If not then there may not be a lock button.

Best
    John
    thndrsn
    RE: Assigning faders in Mackie Control Universal..how? 2005/06/12 20:14:24 (permalink)
    John,
    Thanks. Found it. (That would not have happened for a long, long time without your help.) Yes, SONAR 4PE. I had not spent a lot of time experimenting with Console view just yet. (Between SONAR, MOTU, Mackie, plugins and hardware I have a gazillion knobs and buttons to figure out at this point, so it's gonna take a while.) The lock icons were below the visible portion of the window. I had to drag it larger to see them. Works perfectly now.

By the way, the last line of my previous post was pre-investigation after reading your post. It was just an attempt to portray the sleepy, unfocussed speculation of the moment.

Lesson 1: 4 a.m. is not the time to be making that one last tweak to an unsaved file.

I'm gonna have to write that on a Post-it Note and stick it to my forehead until I remember not to forget it.

The taskbar tokens for the softsynths that wouldn't let me open their respective synth control panels? Not a bug. Taking a clue from the Console view solution, I tried dragging the corner of one of those little buggers when its little underline character was protesting that the synth view window already was maximized. (HUH? then where is it?). The synth control panel expanded into view when I dragged the corner of that little bar showing its name. Doh!

Thanks, John, your information was a big help.

The Mackie master fader now controls both the left and right main outs of the MOTU in tandem.

--thndrsn

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1