CLICKING FROM MY P.c.?

Author
electroylite
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 232
2005/06/11 01:45:16 (permalink)

CLICKING FROM MY P.c.?

I had been using mc for years and just recently decided to move my setup around....after rearraging my studio i started mc up and now when ever i try to record i get a lot of buzz and clicks...any ideas?
post edited by electroylite - 2005/06/12 18:08:19

8 Replies Related Threads

TGRANT
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Clicks, buzz, static 2005/06/11 11:23:35 (permalink)
    Buzzing and clicks can come from a number of different outside sources, most commonly the AC power lines (the ones that plug into the wall to power the various devices we use), and external electromagnetic waves (there are many wireless devices floating around…).

The first thing to do is check the integrity of the mic cables. They should be in good condition without any breaks in the shielding. (Make sure they are shielded in the first place too). If you know how to, you can do this with a volt-ohm meter, or just play with the placement of the cables and see if the buzz worsens or improves.

Then make sure there are no mic or connection cables running close to the AC power cords.

Get the mic wires away from any monitors, fans, cordless phones or whatever. For example, is there a TV in the room?

I’d guess that when you moved your setup, you inadvertently crossed up some wires, or had a bad mic cable that is now closer to some AC power, so it is picking up now.

Another possibility is that there are some power cables in the walls that are interfering with the setup. Are you near the power lines into the house for example?

Finally, you could have damaged something - a small mixer for example - that now has a loose ground (it’s been done before you know).

I’d be surprised if you can’t solve the problem with the above methods. If not, we’ll try again.
    electroylite
    RE: Clicks, buzz, static 2005/06/11 18:03:29 (permalink)
    Thanks....I have a HUGE mess of wires back there that i am gonna try and get organized and cleaned up a bit...hopfully that will clear it up...I will post back with my results...thanks for the Info!
    electroylite
    RE: PLEASE HELP>>>Clicks, buzz, static 2005/06/12 06:59:40 (permalink)
    Well...After a evening of cleaning up and organizing all my cables my workstation LOOKS a lot better but yet i still have this clicking. so...with that in mind i will state my observations...it still clicks after i organized all my cables so they dont cross over each other...It still clicks when i disconnect my out put and my input so i know it is not my monitors or my mixer (i know it is clicking because i see it on the track monitor poping up into the red.)....it still clicks when i turn off all other computers in the room....it still clicks when i am not even running cakewalk or any other music program. It still clicks when i mute other lines...(ie midi, wav, line in, aux in, line in2/mic in 2)...so I am thinking that it is either my cpu or the actual placement of the p.c. tower itself...any other ideas or suggestions?PLEASE HELP ME...I AM GOING NUTS TRYING TO FIGURE THIS OUT!!!!!!
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: PLEASE HELP>>>Clicks, buzz, static 2005/06/13 18:23:42 (permalink)
    Well you hsve not been clear as to what is clicking, and what is running when this happens, where is the sound coming from? can you record? give some details.
    electroylite
    RE: PLEASE HELP>>>Clicks, buzz, static 2005/06/13 18:37:45 (permalink)
    it clicks whenever the comp is turned on....if i have cakewalk running and i pull the speakers i can still monitor the click on the lights (dont know the tech name) that monitor sound even though i dont hear it throug my speakers becasue they are unppluged so i know its not that..or my mixer....it just cliks all the time....the only thing i can think of is that it is comming from the cpu but the cpu is running at 0 or 1% and it still clicks....it's like a contstnt static like crackle...if i record midi it is no problem but if i try recording audio you can really hear it on the playback.
    Robomusic
    RE: PLEASE HELP>>>Clicks, buzz, static 2005/06/13 18:41:31 (permalink)
    Tell me about the system, what CPU, How much ram, what sound card, etc
    electroylite
    RE: PLEASE HELP>>>Clicks, buzz, static 2005/06/13 18:56:30 (permalink)
    I have an Hp Pavillion with AMD Athlon XP 2100+, 1.73.GHz, 768 MB Ram. Soundblaster Audigy2 with front interface. I just moved my system around and it recorded just fine before i moved it but i cant figure out what would have changed...i cleaned up all my cables...i even deleted a TON of music and pictures on my harddrive. My wifes comp is right next to mine and she runs mc on here system no problem and audio recored on hers sounds just fine....i might just have to resort to doing midi on mine and recording any audio on hers but it would be better if i could just figure out what my problem is.
    Robomusic
    RE: PLEASE HELP>>>Clicks, buzz, static 2005/06/13 21:06:41 (permalink)
    sounds like something came loose when moved take the cover off the box and check everything. make sure it is off when you do and then check everything.make sure the sound card and other cards are seated properly and let us know what happens
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1