mix down and burning problems

Author
jbrynildson
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2005/06/12 10:12:44 (permalink)

mix down and burning problems

Hey everyone,
I am having a problem with a couple things on my Home studio XL. I am able to record all of my vocals and guitars but am having two problems: 1) I am using some drum loops that are ACID based and I am using the loop explorer view and trying to get all the loops to sound rigth but they do not. It sounds like some of the loops are distorted or MIDI in nature and I have checked with the manufacturer and know that they are fine. I am also using the right bit depth. Is there some other way to test these loops before click and dragging them onto a track? 2). After recroding all of the tracks and having everything set up the way that I want it, do I need to mix all the tracks down to two tracks before burning or can I burn them all the way they are set up (example - if I have 10 recorded tracks do I need to mix down to two (stereo tracks) and then burn? and when I burn I want to be able to take the master and go to a company and have duplicates made for selling them (I was told by someone about mastering in either blue book or red book - I never heard of this before - what is this?).

Any help is much appreciated!
John Brynildson

3 Replies Related Threads

boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: mix down and burning problems 2005/06/12 11:18:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jbrynildson

Hey everyone,
    I am having a problem with a couple things on my Home studio XL. I am able to record all of my vocals and guitars but am having two problems: 1) I am using some drum loops that are ACID based and I am using the loop explorer view and trying to get all the loops to sound rigth but they do not. It sounds like some of the loops are distorted or MIDI in nature and I have checked with the manufacturer and know that they are fine. I am also using the right bit depth. Is there some other way to test these loops before click and dragging them onto a track? 2). After recroding all of the tracks and having everything set up the way that I want it, do I need to mix all the tracks down to two tracks before burning or can I burn them all the way they are set up (example - if I have 10 recorded tracks do I need to mix down to two (stereo tracks) and then burn? and when I burn I want to be able to take the master and go to a company and have duplicates made for selling them (I was told by someone about mastering in either blue book or red book - I never heard of this before - what is this?).

Any help is much appreciated!
    John Brynildson

or MIDI in nature
    Not sure what MIDI has to do with your problem if the loops are ACID. Acid loops are just wave files that contain some additional information to enable changes in tempo so basically you can test the loops by playing them even with windows media player. Since these loops are audio files try to see if you can play any audio files (using the tutorials) in Home Studio. If they also sound distorted then you have a problme with the audio interface setup. Are the acid loops sampling rates compatible with your soundcard sampling rate? (bit depth has nothing to do with the problem).

Regarding brunign CD you can export your project to a .wav file by using the export command and use a burning software to burn a CD. Don't know what sampling rate or bit rate you're using but you will need to convert (if needed) the exported file to 44.1 Khz and 24 bits if different to burn the CD in the red book format so that every CD player can reproduce it.
    post edited by boten - 2005/06/12 11:24:27
    jbrynildson
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: mix down and burning problems 2005/06/13 19:10:55 (permalink)
    Boten,
    Thanks for the reply. When I use the loop explorer view I can play the majority of the ACID loops and they sound the way they are supposed to but about 25% of the time they sound distorted or corrupted. I can play all of the loops through DELL jukebox and they all sound ok there. Any other ideas about this?

Also, I got the info on the red book specs. But what are the specs for the blue book when burning? And when do I use one over the other?
    Again, thanks for the help!

John
    jwrobel
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: mix down and burning problems 2005/06/14 14:19:15 (permalink)

Red book is standard CD audio at 44.1 kHz and 16 bits (isn't it, boten?).

Yellow book is standard for computer data.

Blue book is a combination of Red book and Yellow book, and is used for enhanced music CDs.

Nero and Pyro both ask the user whether the CD is for audio (red) or data (yellow). I've never burned a Blue book CD, but I think most software packages can do it. However, for HS users like me, I would think we would mostly just click the "Audio CD" button, and forget about the specs.

jjw
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1