Better multitimbral soft synth?

Author
lawbass
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
2005/06/12 13:54:15 (permalink)

Better multitimbral soft synth?

Hi gang. I have recently begun working for the first time ever with MIDI, and have had pretty good progress. I am using the two soft synths that Sonar versions 3 and 4 have utilized, the TTS-1 and the Edirol. Both are fair, not great. I am thinking that it may be time to invest in an improvement, and hope someone can guide me. At the outset, let me be clear that I am looking for realistic instrument sounds (guitar, drums, brass, strings, piano, organ, etc)
Two questions:
1) Is there an overall excellent multi-timbral softsynth that is better than the TTS?
2) If not, are there a few softsynths that are excellent for particular instruments, especially guitar, drums and brass and strings?
Thanks for any guidance anyone can offer.

Jon

11 Replies Related Threads

dreamkeeper
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2141
    RE: Better multitimbral soft synth? 2005/06/12 15:00:18 (permalink)
    re: 1) If you're not on a budget, check out COLOSSUS . If you wait for the next bugfixes (or maybe longer...) Kontakt 2 could be an option. Good value for the money is Kompakt.

re: 2) Depends on the samples. There are really amazing libraries for all genres/instruments available. I have yet to hear a really convincing synth when it comes to the instruments you mentioned, esp. guitar.
    juca
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Better multitimbral soft synth? 2005/06/12 15:19:53 (permalink)
    Hi Jon:
    Good alternatives: IK MultimediaSampletank 2XL and Steinberg Hypersonic.
    Good luck!

****** Juca Nascimento ******
    Keyboards/Composer/Arranger

lawbass
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Better multitimbral soft synth? 2005/06/12 19:19:39 (permalink)
    Thanks, I will look into those. The guitar really seems to be the bugger, isn't it? Seems amazing, but every setting I have tried on midi guitar files sounds like utter crap.
    Sonic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1517
    RE: Better multitimbral soft synth? 2005/06/12 19:24:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lawbass

Thanks, I will look into those. The guitar really seems to be the bugger, isn't it? Seems amazing, but every setting I have tried on midi guitar files sounds like utter crap.

The only decent guitar samples I've ever used were acoustic samples. The Edirol Super Quartet has a good one. But forget about electric guitar, especially in a GM soundset. You're better off using the real deal.

The best is always yet to come. Now...shut up and make some noise!
    A small sample of my music... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/turtlebend2.htm
    LoopJunkie
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2466
    RE: Better multitimbral soft synth? 2005/06/12 19:45:42 (permalink)
    I am using the two soft synths that Sonar versions 3 and 4 have utilized, the TTS-1 and the Edirol

With S3 you should also have VSampler - that could be an alternative to the other stuff mentioned. For rythm guitar, Virtual Guitar from Steinberg is an option not half bad.

loop

harmony gardens
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3490
    RE: Better multitimbral soft synth? 2005/06/12 20:06:08 (permalink)
    I'm a big fan of Sampletank and Sonik Synth 2. I'm not sure if you can still get in on the latest group buy, but the link is still there. Might want to contact esoundz to see if it's still available, but I think this is one of the best deals that has been offered in quite a while.

http://www.esoundz.com/details/viewDetails.php?ProductID=490
    Big Al
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Better multitimbral soft synth? 2005/06/13 01:11:09 (permalink)
    Somebody here recently suggested Plugsound (www.usbsounds.com/jsp/demos.jsp) so I downloaded their demo called Plugsound free. I was inpressed with the guitars that came with it, also the harmonica. If I was looking to buy a set of soft synths, I would seriously have a look at this package.

Al
    rock_street@yahoo.com
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Better multitimbral soft synth? 2005/06/13 09:54:15 (permalink)
    what is multi timberal soft synth..??
    jlgrimes
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1639
    RE: Better multitimbral soft synth? 2005/06/13 10:07:42 (permalink)
    what is multi timberal soft synth..??

Multitimbral means you can access mulitple (usually 16) channels are parts in a synthesizer. Multitimbral synths are usually designed to for being able to do complete compositions.

A multitimbral softsynthn usually have the advantage of a streamlined workflow. You wouldn't have to mess around with mutiple screens for each midi channel and such. This usually speeds the writing process.
    SAMPLIFIER
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Better multitimbral soft synth? 2005/06/13 11:44:15 (permalink)
    Would SonikSynth or SampleTank fit the bill? Check out the IK Multimedia website.
    I believe you can download a free demo. You might also want to take a look at the offerings from Native Instruments and see what, if anything, matches what you're looking for. Top quality software, primo sound quality. Demos available so you can make up your own mind.

Also, many consider the inexpensive EMU 1820M a gift from heaven. A lot of studios keep a small PC dedicated to an EMU 1820M (nothing else on it) and send the audio in to the main system just for recording the sounds that come with it.

So many possibilities. Isn't this great? ; ) Best of luck. I'm sure you'll get plenty of other recommendations to get you started.
    SAMPLIFIER
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Better multitimbral soft synth? 2005/06/13 11:49:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sonic

ORIGINAL: lawbass

The only decent guitar samples I've ever used were acoustic samples. The Edirol Super Quartet has a good one. But forget about electric guitar, especially in a GM soundset. You're better off using the real deal.

Ditto. Although I have had fun with the Hans Zimmer Guitars Series. A couple of CDs of samples you can run in any sampler (or just mess with the wav files) that can be gotten from ILIO, I believe.

Guitar samples are usually better mangled and morphed than used as real guitar samples. Then again, isn't everything?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1