New member today

Author
JerryLan2
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/06/12 18:38:58 (permalink)

New member today

Hi, I have been using Pro Audio 9, 8, 7 for a long time for midi and audio.
I have been considering buying the Alesis Fusion HD8 when it comes out next month, but I was wondering if I could get the functionality I need out of Project 5. I downloaded the demo today and will buy it if I can get one thing out of it.
I want to be able to play a chord on the keyboard and have the arpeggiator create a midi performance of various guitar strums that sound real.
So far I have gotten the argeggiator to only sound like some techno robot.

Thanks
Jerry

5 Replies Related Threads

mike85021
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: New member today 2005/06/12 19:05:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JerryLan2

I want to be able to play a chord on the keyboard and have the arpeggiator create a midi performance of various guitar strums that sound real.
    So far I have gotten the argeggiator to only sound like some techno robot.

Thanks
    Jerry

Welcome to the forum, Jerry!

I'm assuming that you’re using a nice guitar sample in something like SampleTank 2 or SonicSynth?

For your pattern, draw a chord in the Editor. Experiment with different note durations. Sprinkle some other notes past the chord.

In the Arpeggiator, select Load Preset/Rythm/Guitar and select a type of guitar arp you want to play. Also play around with the note and octaves settings of the Appeggiator, try out the Latch and Swing options, and try the last dropdown menu on Rhythms Only, and see what the other settings do.

While you should be able to come up with something interesting that sounds like a guitar, the Arpeggiator isn’t really designed to do what I think you want it to do, which is creatively crank out realistic guitar riffs.
    post edited by mike85021 - 2005/06/12 19:36:16

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: New member today 2005/06/12 19:12:57 (permalink)
    Does the demo let you use the special guitar patterns in the ARP folder? Or do you only have the basic shape menu!?

Welcome too!
    JerryLan2
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: New member today 2005/06/12 19:21:22 (permalink)
    A friend of mine has a motif workstation and when he plays a chord on the keyboard he can make it sound like a strummed guitar of any style. I talked to a Project 5 sales guy once and he said that Project 5 would do everything that workstation would do and more. So, that is what I am looking for.
    It is possible that the demo is not going to do it for me.
    mike85021
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: New member today 2005/06/12 19:33:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: JerryLan2

A friend of mine has a motif workstation and when he plays a chord on the keyboard he can make it sound like a strummed guitar of any style. I talked to a Project 5 sales guy once and he said that Project 5 would do everything that workstation would do and more. So, that is what I am looking for.
    It is possible that the demo is not going to do it for me.

There are specific VSTi plugs that do this. For example, MusicLab RealGUitar sounds very nice plugged into the Arpeggiator as discribed above.

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: New member today 2005/06/12 21:18:34 (permalink)
    I agree, specialized plugins for the task would be much better. It's not that Project5 couldn't be coaxed somehow into doing the strumming thing, but why bother when these plugins exist. To do it any other way is too much effort for the desired result.

But, see, this is the beautiful thing about Project5 vs a hardware platform like the Motif: Project5 is infitely expandable. The sales guy is sortof right, Project5 can do anything (and more) than hardware platforms, but you will likely need the expansion capability and some 3rd party plugins to get there. But this is a good thing.

I'm done with hardware platforms. Software all the way!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1