Blue Screen crash with switching apps

Author
diamondjim
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 241
2005/06/12 18:43:47 (permalink)

Blue Screen crash with switching apps

Anyone with suggestions on how to go about troubleshooting this one?

I occaisionally get a blue screen o/s crash with a Stop message, usually indicative of an application violating memory.
This happens when switching between Sonar 4 and another app that uses ASIO. For example if I try to run Wavelab 5 and Sonar
at the same time, and switch from one to the other, this will happen but not consistently. Only recourse is power down.

I thought this might be a fault of Wavelab until I just installed Melodyne Uno, and tried to switch from one to the other, when I went
back to Sonar to close it, got the BSD.

Environment:
Intel P4 2.6 ghz, 1 gig RAM
Windows XP Pro, SP 2
Tascam FW-1884 using ASIO drivers
M-Audio Delta 66 (not used but installed, not available when running ASIO).

Windows is set to run background processes as priority. Have disabled many unneeded services. CPU usage not a problem.
However I do have Norton A/V active (will try disable that). Don't do any email on this machine, but do access the Internet.

I can run Sonar pretty successfully, although recently I did get a corrupted project, and tried deleting the Picture Cache, Aud,ini,
but only way to fix it was to import the wav stems into a new project (the project would not play, or would show Dropout immediately
upon start playing).

Anyone else getting this BSD when switching apps using ASIO?

-+ http://www.barnjazz.com +-
pcAudioLabs Core2 Duo E6600 2.6GHz, 4 Gig Ram, Plextor DVD/CD writers, RME FF800, Tascam FW-1884, Frontier Tranzport, JBL LSR4328P monitors, UAD-1, Sonar 6 PE, Wavelab 6, Harbal, Ozone3, BFD, Rapture, Project5, DimP

2 Replies Related Threads

Sonic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1517
    RE: Blue Screen crash with switching apps 2005/06/12 18:47:59 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if this will help, but do you already have "share audio drivers with other applications" selected in your options?

The best is always yet to come. Now...shut up and make some noise!
    A small sample of my music... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/turtlebend2.htm
    diamondjim
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 241
    RE: Blue Screen crash with switching apps 2005/06/12 19:38:12 (permalink)
    Yes, I have checked the "share audio drivers" in Sonar. That was the first thing I checked.

In Wavelab under Preferences/General there is an option, checked, which is labeled "Release audio hardware when switching to another application while playback and recording are not taking place". I presume this has the same effect as the Sonar option.
    There is no similar option in Melodyne.

I will try updating the Tascam FW-1884 to the 1.5 drivers.

-+ http://www.barnjazz.com +-
    pcAudioLabs Core2 Duo E6600 2.6GHz, 4 Gig Ram, Plextor DVD/CD writers, RME FF800, Tascam FW-1884, Frontier Tranzport, JBL LSR4328P monitors, UAD-1, Sonar 6 PE, Wavelab 6, Harbal, Ozone3, BFD, Rapture, Project5, DimP
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1