OT: Hard Drive "Delay Write Error"

Author
DroopyPawn
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 665
2005/06/13 12:29:19 (permalink)

OT: Hard Drive "Delay Write Error"

I think I may have a bad audio hard drive. It's a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160 GB ATA/133.

Anyway, lately I've been getting an error. I think it says "delay write error". I'll check for sure what it says next time it happens. But it's been causing my system to reboot. Sometimes rather than reboot it just removes that hard drive from the system. Ocasionally, the system will not reboot at all until I let it cool down for a few minuts.

Does this sounds like a bad drive? Should I replace it?

Also, how do I get my avitar to show up in my posts? I uploaded a file.

Gary Shepherd
www.16tracks.com

5 Replies Related Threads

DroopyPawn
    RE: OT: Hard Drive "Delay Write Error" 2005/06/14 01:28:31 (permalink)
    I was here 2 minutes ago to report that I've had no problems since installing a backup of Windows using Drive Image 7 about 3 or 4 hours ago. Everything was running fast and without issue. As I was typing the message, my system locked up. The mouse wouldn't move.

So I thought maybe it was a virus, or a bad installation of some program. But now, who knows. Maybe it really is the hard drive. But I pulled out that drive (I have removeable drive bays) and put in another and still had issues. Although they were not exactly the same issues as with the other drives.

So what do you think? Is it the hard drive or something in Windows?

gs

Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com
    DroopyPawn
    RE: OT: Hard Drive "Delay Write Error" 2005/06/14 13:55:18 (permalink)
    Still having issues. I've locked up or rebooted about 7 times this morning. Got the BSOD a few times. MACHINE_CHECK_ERROR I think it said. And at the bottom it said BEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY or something like that.

One time, the machine shut down and stared shrilling like a modem. But it turns out that was the UPS. I flipped the switch off and back on and that stopped.

A few times, when I tried to boot up, the removeable drive bay holding my C drive did not light up any LEDs. The system got to the "Press Any Key To Boot From CD" and stalled - as it has done several times in the past week.

I checked all the IDE cable connections. Released both memory DIMMs and pushed them back in. I moved my MOTU PCI-424 card to a different slot (it removed itself from the system a few times on my Audio C drive. Not sure why.

I'M LOST. ANY IDEAS?

Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com
    cAPSLOCK
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1071
    RE: OT: Hard Drive "Delay Write Error" 2005/06/14 14:24:54 (permalink)
    Really sounds like it could be a hard drive going south.

If I were you I would download some SMART software (Like Active Smart) and the diagnostic from the drive manufacturer. IF you want to spend money you might look at SpinRite (google it), and if you suspect the memory look for Memtest86.

Make sure you backup is current!

cAPS

"We da da sahw pe paw fidlily-doobee afidlily-dooten-bweebee!" -Shooby
    DroopyPawn
    RE: OT: Hard Drive "Delay Write Error" 2005/06/14 17:01:22 (permalink)
    I tried the memory test. It ran for about 40 minutes and showed no errors. How long should it go with 1 GB of RAM?

Right now, I have my CD and one hard drive disconnected. But I still had trouble getting started with the 2 drives that are in the system. I don't think it's either of those drives though because I got errors with those 2 drives replaced by others.

I found that my monitor cables were both just plugged in but not screwed down tight. That might have caused the BSODs I was getting. But I still have hard drive issues. Could there be a virus, maybe in the BIOS, causing all this crap? It all started about a week or 2 ago when I was downloading some files and trying new software.

I pulled on RAM module and tried going with just 512 for a while. Nothing seems to be working.

Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com
    DroopyPawn
    RE: OT: Hard Drive "Delay Write Error" 2005/06/14 17:31:57 (permalink)
    I think I MAY (fingers crossed) have found the problem. Possibly, one of my removeable drive bays was going bad. Looks like it has a bent jumper connection on the bay part that stays in the computer. I've replaced it with another one and so far (a few minutes) nothing strange. Of course, the whole system could blow at any time.

I have to go call some softball games now. Hopefully, when I return, the computer will still be running.

Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1