Can different layers have different effects?

Author
crabtwins
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1460
2005/06/15 00:43:53 (permalink)

Can different layers have different effects?

I think I know that the answer is no, but I thought I would ask. But the layer thing acts weird. My main layer may have arpeggiator and the other ones won't which is fine, but I cant put an effect on one layer without it being on all.

6 Replies Related Threads

Andy C
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1272
    RE: Can different layers have different effects? 2005/06/15 04:10:49 (permalink)
    Correct, the answer is no. Think about it, if they could then they wouldn't be track layers at all, they would be seperate tracks.

Andy
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Can different layers have different effects? 2005/06/15 08:32:33 (permalink)

if your synth is muti-timbral and channels are assigned you can have different fx of different channels -- and all that is very convenient to work with layers

but otherwise a one channel synth layered is still just one device chain

crabtwins
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: Can different layers have different effects? 2005/06/15 12:12:50 (permalink)
    I'll have to learn how to do it with the multi-timbral and make sure to add another track if it isnt and I want different effects on it. later!

MysticMizer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Can different layers have different effects? 2005/06/17 17:00:39 (permalink)
    The "layers" themselves can't.

Simply clone the instrument and move the layered clip (s) to it's new home. You are now free to move about the effects rack.

NEVERODDOREVEN
    Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    RE: Can different layers have different effects? 2005/06/17 17:46:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wrench45us
    if your synth is muti-timbral and channels are assigned you can have different fx of different channels -- and all that is very convenient to work with layers

Yep, wrench is correct. I recently figured out how to do this myself. If you are using a multi-timbral synth (like Psyn II or SONAR's TTS-1). Simply assign your patches to separate outputs, from the synth and then enable those active outputs, from the Track Inspector, for the synth, in that track. You will then see a small box created next to the track volume slider. When you click on it and move your mouse you will see the numbers change. These numbers reflect which output is active, for the purposes of using the volume and pan/width sliders with the track layers. Ghosted numbers are inactive outputs. Once you select a track layer, the Track Inspector changes (this is where you can add separate fx) to the track layer that is routed to that particular active output, via the MIDI channel/patch assignments you previously made in your multitimbral softsynth. But remember that the outputs must first be activated, from the softsynth and the patches and MIDI channels assigned. Then those outputs must be activated, from the same synth, in the Track Inspector. It is a little convoluted, at first, but once you have done it a few times, it becomes fairly easy to setup. Once you get everything setup, simply save as a Device chain, for easy recall later.

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Can different layers have different effects? 2005/06/17 19:21:56 (permalink)
    If the layers are created in a softsynth track, you can think of layers as containers for MIDI and automation data. In that context, the layers can have different effects (MFX, MIDI effects).

Then you can have different audio effects in every synth output.

-René
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1