Editing Audio(splitting/slipping/CLICKS?!)

Author
12foot
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2005/06/16 07:49:04 (permalink)

Editing Audio(splitting/slipping/CLICKS?!)

So I thought I was onto it when I took a track, split the good parts & brought them together to make a perfect riff, then copied it to play it two or three times.

It all seemed sound in theory, but when it played back, there was a click every where a split had been and pieces joined. I am not happy about this. Is there a fix? A better way? I've moved pieces manually, automatically and all kinds of stuff.

Also, when I delete crap from the beginning of a track, the remainder will begin with a click as well. No good.

Is there a way to make a split un-split?

Was hoping I would get onto this stuff a little faster, but my computer sucks, and apparently so do I.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

12foot

3 Replies Related Threads

bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Editing Audio(splitting/slipping/CLICKS?!) 2005/06/16 09:53:42 (permalink)
    You are getting a pop because you split the track when there is an audio signal being generated. To remove the pops, you need to split where the audio wave form crosses the zero db line. You can zoom in real close on the wave form by using the little magnifying glasses on the bottom right hand side of the track view screen. Zoom in real close, put the now time where the wave form crosses the zero line (you may have to turn off the snap to grid feature - a little four square box at the bottom right cornre of the track view pane) and split the track. Delete the unwanted part.

You can also slip edit the clip and stop the edge where the wave form crosses the zero line - you will get the same effect as splitting and deleting, but you won't lose the data. Slip editing just covers up the audio data so it isn't read. You can always retrieve it by uncovering it. You lose the data if you split and delete.

Also, you have unlimited undo functions in the EDIT menu - unless you've saved and closed the project.

Your computer may suck (which isn't optimal for music making) but we all sucked when we started. You need to learn how to do this stuff by asking questions and making mistakes. Keep pounding away - the learning curve is high and steep.

Jeff
    12foot
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Editing Audio(splitting/slipping/CLICKS?!) 2005/06/16 11:17:52 (permalink)
    Thanks Jeff, you rock.

What I actually meant by "split/un-split" was for example- if I split and moved all kinds of little pieces to make one big perfect piece, they are still just a bunch of little pieces (or are they called clips?). Is there a way to make the split lines go away? Not a big deal, but just curious.

12foot
    bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Editing Audio(splitting/slipping/CLICKS?!) 2005/06/16 15:25:35 (permalink)
    You can bounce the split track to a new audio track. All the split tracks will meld (vulcan word) into one. I would archive the split track rather than delete it, though, in case you would need it again.

Yeah, the little pieces are called clips.
    post edited by bargainboy1 - 2005/06/16 15:28:13

Jeff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1