Is it P5 or Amplitube - Power Hogs...

Author
jamester
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1481
2005/06/17 01:01:45 (permalink)

Is it P5 or Amplitube - Power Hogs...

Ok, so I've been digging into P5...

I'd already heard it's a bit cpu hungry, but what i'm finding is ridiculous! I'm on a P4 3.0ghz, 1 gig ram.

In P5, I have an Acid drum loop and two tracks of guitar - one rhythm, one lead. Both guitars are through Amplitube. With this alone, I am using 13%cpu with WDM drivers at 12ms latency; 15% with ASIO at 9.8ms latency. Wow!

If I add Dimension and lay down a bass line, my cpu jumps up to 23%. This is four tracks, about twenty-four measures! That's crazy; in Sonar I bet I'd barely be using one or two percent. Is Amplitube a major resource hog? I know Dimension is, so I expected that. But 15% on three tracks????

How do you guys complete a song? Any comments would be greatly apreciated folks...thanks!

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro

3 Replies Related Threads

agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: Is it P5 or Amplitube - Power Hogs... 2005/06/17 01:48:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jamester

How do you guys complete a song? Any comments would be greatly apreciated folks...thanks!

....By only running at low latency when actually recording live (audio or midi) while monitoring playback. Freezing tracks you're *not* working on at the moment also helps.

low latency on simple playback or while tweaking midi is unnecessary.

that said: your numbers do seem a little high. Try comparing the CPU hit with and without amplitube, at rest and on playback.

LouTheBlueGuru
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Is it P5 or Amplitube - Power Hogs... 2005/06/17 07:20:01 (permalink)
    I can tell you this, it is NOT Amplitube. I use Amplitube in GTP3 and it barely does anything to the CPU usage. P5 seems to have a strange effect on CPU usage. It uses massive amounts of CPU power when you add instruments and effects even when you are doing nothing! I think it may be estimating how much CPU it will need as you add instruments and effects, and then reserving that amount of CPU power for its own use. I also found it uses way more CPU power than you would think is reasonable. Dave's suggestions for conserving CPU power are about all you can do.
    Andy C
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1272
    RE: Is it P5 or Amplitube - Power Hogs... 2005/06/17 07:43:46 (permalink)
    If I add Dimension and lay down a bass line, my cpu jumps up to 23%.

Jamester, which Dimension patch is that ? Any chance you could post a cut down version of the project so I can try a few things out ?

And I want to point you to this Wikki page (which was performed on V1.5 I think)

http://p5.sonarama.com/p5/index.php/CPU_utilization

Andy
    post edited by Andy C - 2005/06/17 07:52:18
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1