Another I'm missing something really obvious post RE: MK425C controller

Author
Heliotrope68
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 54
2005/06/17 05:51:58 (permalink)

Another I'm missing something really obvious post RE: MK425C controller

Ok,
Here's a quick one and I know it's just because I'm use to Live 4's workflow as it was the first all Hardware to PC (software app I used).
I use an Evolution 425C controller set to global midi channel 1.
Now in Live or Reason 3 I simply select the device and track l need and play the keyboard and each individual VST/Instrument plays fine for recording etc.
In P5 I say select Dimension - Piano as track one.
Specify a pattern length.
Record keyboard part (I really need at least a 4 octave controller though as I find this mini keyboard hideous after working with an all hardware rig).
Say On track two I set up FM7 (I've already sent the sequence data to track one).
When I play the keyboard again both tracks 1 & 2 play what I'm playing on the midi keyboard so i can't say lay a track and jam/improvise over the top of the other one.
It's stupid I feel like a total noob starting off with this now which is pretty embarassing considering I've been doing electronic music since 88' .....
And this is really rudemdentary stuff I'm asking dumb questions on.
I only switched from hardware to software due to chronic health problems and alot of hospital admins (so I had a portable music solution).
Sorry going off on a tangent.
Other mega embarassing issue how do I get the sequencer too count in a specified record precount ?
My other half was meant to bring back the PRINTED Manual PDF tonight from work all bound up and forgot grrrrrrrrrrr ....... so I'm sort of winging it with no maual at the moment which is stupendously frustrating.
In two weeks time I'll be giggling at myself.
On a side note.
Midi editing is superb in P5 - step + free sequencing options are really well implemented.
The Arp is pretty amazing (and I don't usually use arp's).
I really like the midi fx also.
Oh well I'll get there just ignore my late 30 something idiot ramblings :LOL:

1 Reply Related Threads

Andy C
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1272
    RE: Another I'm missing something really obvious post RE: MK425C controller 2005/06/17 06:11:41 (permalink)
    When I play the keyboard again both tracks 1 & 2 play what I'm playing on the midi keyboard so i can't say lay a track and jam/improvise over the top of the other one.

Two ways to solve this.

1: Quick way (works for most situations.) On the instrument setting, see the little midi pulg symbol (Circled in red on the picture below). Click it and it will turn blue. This means that only that instrument is recieving midi form the controller. Your patterns should now play and you can play just this instrument manually.

2: Long way. Each instrument has advanced midi routing. So on the midi input in the track view (see below) Select no midi inpuit for all instruments, and then select midi Omni for the one instrument you want to play live. As you can see option 1 is a lot quicker !

Andy
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1