New to Cakewalk

Author
kuurus
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 61
2005/06/17 12:19:20 (permalink)

New to Cakewalk

Hello folks, my first time here and since my instrument of choice is acoustic and electric guitar I had a few questions.

I currently have for equipment:

AMD 3800+
1G Ram
On-board sound (Planning on going to SB Audigy 2)
I have a USB interface preamp that allows XLR and 1/4 inputs. (Fastrack package with M-Audio box)
2x 70G WD (15k) SATA Raptor drives in Raid 0 mode

Musically, I have a Taylor 410CE that allows going XLR out.

What I want from a music program:

* Ability to have all other instruments looped (Drums, Keys, Bass, etc)
* I will provide Rhythm/Lead and Vocals
* Backing vocals for demo's etc would be nice from Cakewalk
* I want the software to provide any needed effects. I don't currently own an amp/effects rig
* I want the ability to control the mix via a virtual mixer
* I want to burn my finished product onto CD

I currently have Band-In-A-Box but I dont like it very much. Its very cumbersome.

Based on what my needs are, Will Guitar Tracks Pro do what I need or should I be looking into another CakeWalk product.
post edited by kuurus - 2005/06/17 17:23:34

3 Replies Related Threads

stratboy77
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: New to Cakewalk 2005/06/17 13:12:46 (permalink)
    well I might not be the best person to answer this but you should be able to loop everything you need except for backing vocals (not sure), the only thing i like to loop is drums, I am old school with the fact that i want it to be more of a performance. You would have to purchase your loops of course there some loops that come with guitar tracks

Cakewalk has some effects and there are loads of free vst effects available, virtual mixer i dont know about.

burning to a cd, you just export your project to a wav. file and burn away

remember Guitar tracks has no Midi capabilities

Jason
    southphilly
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: New to Cakewalk 2005/06/17 13:23:41 (permalink)
    welcome kuurus

your system is awesome (i'm jealous ), so you've got no worries regarding performance issues.

GTP3 can do all the bullet points you mentioned and then some. the software itself is kind-of reminiscent of a stand-alone 32 track recorder (at least as far as the interface is concerned) however, it allows the user to do MUCH more. for what you mentioned, GTP3 is perfect and also has a very quick learning curve.

the only major component that GTP3 is missing (that most DAW's have) is MIDI. therefore, you can not record synth tracks via a virtual instrument (VSTi). for me, this is not a big issue (i've got a cheapo keyboard to lay down cheapo-sounding synth stuff if needed).

as far as looping instruments, no problem, just up to you to locate the loops. (or produce them yourself). Also, plenty of fx with GTP3 AND it supports VST fx. these are plugins that can be downloaded (many free) and applied to tracks either while recording and monitoring live or after the fact (and just as easily removed, adjusted, etc).
    Comes with Amplitude (light version, still pretty sweet though) link here AMPLITUDE

if it's your 1st venture into the computer music world, by all means this is the software that will get you hooked.

your other choices in the cvakewalk arena are Home Studio (very similar to GT only supports MIDI) and their flagship model, Sonar.

many folks post tunes on this board, check a few out to get an idea of the software's ability. or go over to the "Songs" forum (contains songs from users of all Cakewalk software)

peace

southphilly

"...all my lies are only wishes..."

http://www.soundclick.com/weus

kuurus
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: New to Cakewalk 2005/06/17 17:25:30 (permalink)
    Thanks SouthPhilly -

I do have the FastTrack system which will give me some guitar effects so I am not worried there for the time being. I do have a MIDI drum kit though that could be used to lay down drum tracks. I guess I would need to get Home Studio or Music Creator if I want MIDI. I dont really know the difference between Home Studio and Music Creator. :(

I will have to listen to some songs before I make my decision.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1